Love Beer? 30% off at Beer Me Now

limpid

21 hours ago, limpid said:

Wow. Something else it's not worth me spending time on.

Nine entries and one of them doesn't clearly say which score is for which team.

Fwiw Limpid, I think the idea as a whole is a good one, The Blues derbie competition and then this one.

Many folk may argue "but I didn't like the Beer so I never entered", okay, fine, but then again more of us could have voted and donated the prize. Myself included.

Imo, I would keep the competitions rolling Limpid, it has been a good feature even if it didn't appear so on this occasion.

Just my 2 cents on things chap. :thumb:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Fwiw Limpid, I think the idea as a whole is a good one, The Blues derbie competition and then this one.

Many folk may argue "but I didn't like the Beer so I never entered", okay, fine, but then again more of us could have voted and donated the prize. Myself included.

Imo, I would keep the competitions rolling Limpid, it has been a good feature even if it didn't appear so on this occasion.

Just my 2 cents on things chap. :thumb:

The problem is that the people sponsoring the competition are offering a prize in return for advertising. If people don't enter the competition it might look like they've wasted their money. This will deter other companies from doing the same.

18 minutes ago, limpid said:

The problem is that the people sponsoring the competition are offering a prize in return for advertising. If people don't enter the competition it might look like they've wasted their money. This will deter other companies from doing the same.

True and totally see that side of the coin and hopefully on this occasion it has not been too damaging.

Fwiw I like the competitions and I think they are a good introduction to VT.

Keep up the good work Limpid.  :thumb:

On 07/12/2018 at 12:53, limpid said:

Wow. Something else it's not worth me spending time on.

Nine entries and one of them doesn't clearly say which score is for which team.

Out of curiosity, is this promotion to help cover running costs of the site, or was it something you thought would be fun for the community? Either way, I can understand your frustration. 

I would be happy to help 'plug' any future competitions if you think that might be helpful. 

I understand the frustration, but I don't think expressing sarcastic bitterness at VTers for not entering a competition is the way to encourage people to enter in future.

I didn't enter because I didn't even realise it was a competition.

There's nothing in the thread title or tags to indicate it's a competition as far as I can see. I had a quick look at the post and it read as an advert for a subscription service and/or shop for beer which we can get a discount on. Which is great but not something I'm particularly interested so I think I'd stopped reading before I got to the bit about a competitions, and I didn't bother checking the thread again until now.

I'm all for competitions, and I'll happily enter them whether I want the prize or not if it will help the site. But if you've posted a competition and only a few people enter, then maybe the problem is the promotion of the competition as opposed to the posters. 

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

@PompeyVillan it doesn't make money, I thought some might enjoy it.

@Stevo985 I thought the thread in the match forum entitled "Competition" would have been a good way to draw attention, but clearly wasn't enough. Creating more than two threads would annoy people. The OP mentions that there will be a competition.

1 minute ago, limpid said:

@PompeyVillan it doesn't make money, I thought some might enjoy it.

@Stevo985 I thought the thread in the match forum entitled "Competition" would have been a good way to draw attention, but clearly wasn't enough. Creating more than two threads would annoy people. The OP mentions that there will be a competition.

The OP mentions it in the third paragraph. Like I said I'd stopped reading by then. And I didn't see the thread in the match forum.

Just offering some constructive criticism. I'm a prolific poster on here, and I would have happily entered a competition for free beer. So if I'd managed to not realise that there even was a competition then it's understandable that a hell of a lot of other people wouldn't have noticed either.

You have posters in here offering to plug competitions for you. I'll do it myself. You should take them up on the offer.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, limpid said:

Perhaps.

As a non-donor to the site I don't feel I have that much to say really!

But then as someone that is unlikely to bother entering any competition you can assure beermenow that I'd never heard of them, whereas now I have, so as an exercise in brand awareness it has definitely worked.

I don't watch TV anymore barring live sport. Occasionally I'll listen to commercial radio. I'm far too tight to pay for spotify so i get ads on that. Other than that the only engagement I have with advertising anymore is through my use of the internet. I've probably mentioned before somewhere I may be weird to most in the way I view advertising, and on the day the piss you off thread has it's yearly moan about Xmas Ads it might be the right time to remind people if the ads REALLY annoy you, do what I do and boycott that company for the rest of your life! (LG ads on C4/E4 started this off some years ago). Anyway point I'm kind of getting at is kudos to beermenow. I don't find this sort of advertising a problem. I don't mind visual product placement in TV or Film which is basically what this is. A big annoying pop up may well have made me never use them.

I suspect, despite our individual idiosyncrasies, that the defining factor for beermenow of whether this has been a successful endeavour or not will lie in how many orders they have received using the villatalk promo code. That will surely be the magic number. As for the advertising. Unique 'Views' is probably more representative of it's reach than 'Replies' imo.

Oh and I think I'll probably die happy not ever knowing what Peaches and Cream IPA tastes like ;) I shall await the Rummenow and vodkamenow competitions with heightened anticipation though :thumb:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Nothing to do with VT or the competition really, but I had a look on their website, and it's really poor.  No indication of any actual beers you might get, which is a bit off given the fairly expensive prices they're charging.   

On 08/12/2018 at 11:16, limpid said:

I didn't realise it was a comp for ages, it looked like it was just a 30% off deal which I didn't fancy. Maybe others thought the same? FWIW, I think competitions are great and I appreciate the effort.

Â