• Kodjia
    • Abraham
    • Elmohamady (Taylor 45)
    • Bolasie (Kodjia 70)
    • Hogan (Abraham 87)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 13/11/18 at 23:59

13 hours ago, Barney_avfc said:

Dean Smith when asked, "Why were you shouting at your players to get up whilst 2-0 up? Surely you could have sat back and played it safe? Why take the risk?"

" My philosophy is this : 1-0, 2-0 or 5-0 up: never ever settle for it, you must be hungry for more. If you do sit back not only are you inviting the opposition to get back into the game but you are showing them mercy. You have to look at the bigger picture, I don't only want us to destroy our current opponent's. I want to breed fear into our next ones "?

I can’t find where he said this? You got the link mate. 

Can’t remember this many very good ratings for the manager since the Wolves game. 

Great to see.

Whilst McGinn was arguably motm there were a few contenders which is always good to see as well. 

Only negative in the game was a couple of errors by Axel which Smith acknowledged. But these things happen and he more than made up for it second half with how assured he is. Even if they had taken one of those chances. I think this Villa team would have still put in that second half display.

There’s really belief and confidence growing. You can tel Smith has not only worked on how we play. But mentally the players all look in a better place and comfortable in themselves. 

This could be exciting times.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

8 hours ago, srsmithusa said:

1)  Great match. Well played.  McGinn MOTM, but plenty had great matches, including Nyland, Chester, Elmo, Hutton, Conor, Jack, Tammy, Yannick, and the real MOTM, DS

2)  I'm actually a bit worried.  Blooze and others will see what we are capable of and start playing anti-football against us and thats a completely different nut to crack.  I hope Smith and company keep working on the many things we did well today.  But also focus on finishing.  But also focus on a plan B.  We kept getting the ball because Derby kept trying to play it forward, teams will start trying other things.  I hope we adjust.

3) I did not start "Bruce out" from day one, but I got there very early.  Partly because I knew this kind of play was possible with our team.  But I never disliked the guy.  Never thought he was ill-intentioned.  I just thought he was too conservative and 90's.  I actually feel a bit sorry for him now.  With me and others talking about how we knew he wasn't doing the things needed for us to succeed, I felt like I wanted to pause today and say "Steve, you did good with Nyland, Elmo, keeping Jack, and especially signing McGiniesta, I didn't always support you, but I supported everything you did that was good for Villa.  So, thanks and all the best in your future, unless you are managing a team Villa is playing against."

You're getting emotional now mate. Bitch-slap yourself twice and get over it.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Michelsen said:

There was something special about that. To go to a potential promotion rival and absolutely destroy them at their place, it feels like a game changer somehow. 

The result speaks for itself, but you can win 3-0 in many ways. I thoroughly enjoyed the way we did it. I thought we looked positive from the start. Jack taking their player on and winning a free kick immediately after kick off was somehow indicative of the attitude we would play with. The first half was good, and by the time they got a look in, we should already have been ahead. There was a five minute spell where an unusually assured Nyland saved us from going in a goan down, but on the whole we were comfortably the better side. 

Then came the second half. Oh my, what a half of football that was. We were in their faces more or less from the word go, and gave them absolutely no hope of playing out. With Axel and Chester in control of any attempt at playing it long, they had to try and find their midfield, and when they tried to do that, we’d immediately win the ball. For long periods at a time, it felt like we’d win the ball in their half every single time they tried to play. Every single time. Abraham was a brilliant first defender, and McGinn in particular had a feast on all their stray passes into central areas. 

From these positions, we created chances. Plenty of them (some might say a plethora, which would mean a lot). And for what seemed like an eternity, we missed them. All of them. Badly. Kodjia in particular hadn’t put his shooting boots on straight (where’s Bruce’s coaching handbook when you need it?) and one could be forgiven for thinking it would be one of them nights. Then, enter Yannick Bolasie and it suddenly just clicked. 

In the end, it was a comfortable and thoroughly deserved 3-0 win. There was much to be happy about: Individual performances, Dean Smith going for the jugular rather than defending a narrow lead, brilliant away support, a stunning free kick goal, I could go on. However, as a tactics nerd, the one thing that gave me the most pleasure to watch was our pressing game. It really was ridiculously good, and directly responsible for most our chances. This will be our most potent weapon, and if our striker(s) can be a little more clinical, we’ll be unstoppable. 

Congratulations to all involved for a brilliant job. Bring on SHA, they won’t know what hit them by the time we’re finished with them. 

Thanks.....I feel like I have watched the game and I didn't.

I saw the highlights only.

I think you are spot on with your focus......Ball winning is a crucial art and leads to domination.....Great to hear us doing well in that Dep't.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, privateer said:

Did the tattooist manage to get "Villa" on for you that way or did you have to settle for "AV"?  :lol:

The "Aston Villa and Wesleyan society Football club" ....it was a doddle.

• Haha 1

Consistency is key....but there were some little tell tale signs, that would suggest these improvements are starting to manifest themselves in to something really good.

The looked assured in their work.

reminded me of Wolves last season.

9 minutes ago, TRO said:

Consistency is key....but there were some little tell tale signs, that would suggest these improvements are starting to manifest themselves in to something really good.

Agree with this

16 minutes ago, TRO said:

It was reminiscent of Wolves last season. The difference this time around is I think we will build on the momentum rather than going backwards again as we did under Brassica Boy. It actually feels like we have a coaching team in place that know how to consolidate and build on success, that won't rest on its laurels and won't allow the players to take the next game for granted.

I'm looking forward to the filth, I honestly believe we'll hand out a similar type beating. I think we have the better management team, we certainly have far better players and we are hitting form at the right time. Bruce wouldn't have instilled any confidence in me, even if we had just done Derby in the same way.

24 minutes ago, privateer said:

It was reminiscent of Wolves last season. The difference this time around is I think we will build on the momentum rather than going backwards again as we did under Brassica Boy. It actually feels like we have a coaching team in place that know how to consolidate and build on success, that won't rest on its laurels and won't allow the players to take the next game for granted.

I'm looking forward to the filth, I honestly believe we'll hand out a similar type beating. I think we have the better management team, we certainly have far better players and we are hitting form at the right time. Bruce wouldn't have instilled any confidence in me, even if we had just done Derby in the same way.

Having seen Dean at Closer quarters....He is a thinking man.

Things that happen on the park, tell him something, it gives him food of thought,to work on.

I see a completely different scenario now.

Its bodes well.

12 hours ago, wilko154 said:

Also it has to be said that our fans were unbelievable yesterday, it almost felt like a home game. By far the loudest i've heard the away end in a number of years.

I remember it was at the old Baseball Ground in the seventies where we started the balloon craze. What a great sight that used to be. Always loved going to Derby, even though they had the worst pitch ever.

• Like 1

As many have said in here, this was without doubt the best performance for years and best away performance for a great deal of time. There was something special about this game, both in the stands from the fans as well as on the pitch. There was an overriding sense of togetherness and belief. Our fans were absolutely class and so so loud, loudest I’ve heard us in a long time and there was non stop support from the first whistle. Today we saw precisely what Smith has been wanting from us and, hopefully, what’s to come; positive, progressive play which is great and entertaining to watch but which, importantly, has great purpose to it. Even when pressured at the back we kept calm and stuck to the game plan of keeping the ball and building up play by passing and moving. 

McGinn was outstanding. I mean absolutely outstanding. He ran the show and drove us forward so well. Tammy missed a hatful by didn’t stop trying and was always involved. Aside one or two shakey moments at the end of the first half we completely dominated. Tuanzebe gets better each game and is really starting to settle into a great CB for us. Grealish, despite being unusually quiet, kept us ticking over on the attacks and worked really well with McGinn. Bolasie changed the game for us when he came on. The big difference between him and Kodjia is his purpose. Kodjia out wide still tries to score himself at every opportunity, but due to his lack of football intelligence, greediness and lack of composure, subsequently has zero impact for our team. Bolasie instantly provides an opportunity on a plate for McGinn and we got a goal. That’s how we should be using players in that position. Adomah on the other side is continually poor for me. Tracks back well enough but can’t beat a man, is too weak and struggles to deliver crosses or create any openings for himself. 

I absolutely hope Smith saw how our best RB/LB pairing are Elmo and Hutton. They provide the best balance and showed all last season how it’s their best position. Elmo needs to start at RB as he offers great crosses and assists and linksnup well with Adomah and has an understanding. Hutton is just better (and less risk) on our left.

Massive mention to our fans who were amazing all game. The noise at the end when cheering our players who came over was unreal. The place was absolutely bouncing and you could see thenplayers feeding off it. Smith saluting is all I. The away end form he dugout was a lovely moment.

Lots of work to be done but we’ve got belief now. We finally have an identity, a style of play, a plan and a system and we showed against a very good, and in form, Derby team just how good we can be. 

This felt like the start under Smith. Got to push on now. Was a fantastic performance and hope we see many more of those under Smith. 

• Like 3

Â