• Kodjia
    • Abraham
    • Elmohamady (Taylor 45)
    • Bolasie (Kodjia 70)
    • Hogan (Abraham 87)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 13/11/18 at 23:59

3 hours ago, Barney_avfc said:

Dean Smith when asked, "Why were you shouting at your players to get up whilst 2-0 up? Surely you could have sat back and played it safe? Why take the risk?"

" My philosophy is this : 1-0, 2-0 or 5-0 up: never ever settle for it, you must be hungry for more. If you do sit back not only are you inviting the opposition to get back into the game but you are showing them mercy. You have to look at the bigger picture, I don't only want us to destroy our current opponent's. I want to breed fear into our next ones "?

This is a million miles away from anything the previous manager would've said.

Smith's words are like an icy blast of fresh air right now !

Edited by mottaloo
  • Like 1

"I said to the players before the game we havent come here to draw but to win"

I can't imagine many managers saying that to the players going to an away game where the opposition have only lost at home once all season. I'm really loving Dean Smiths attitude. 

• Like 4

The fact he's not overawed by the task at hand, speaks volumes for the man. Doesn't get too excited when we win, doesn't get too dismayed when we lose. Ron Saunders always kept the same demeanour regardless of the results. It keeps people on their feet and helps develop a great team spirit, which all successful clubs have.

Let's hope it's the start of the beginning of what hopefully is to take Aston villa to the heights it once cruised.

• Like 2

1)  Great match. Well played.  McGinn MOTM, but plenty had great matches, including Nyland, Chester, Elmo, Hutton, Conor, Jack, Tammy, Yannick, and the real MOTM, DS

2)  I'm actually a bit worried.  Blooze and others will see what we are capable of and start playing anti-football against us and thats a completely different nut to crack.  I hope Smith and company keep working on the many things we did well today.  But also focus on finishing.  But also focus on a plan B.  We kept getting the ball because Derby kept trying to play it forward, teams will start trying other things.  I hope we adjust.

3) I did not start "Bruce out" from day one, but I got there very early.  Partly because I knew this kind of play was possible with our team.  But I never disliked the guy.  Never thought he was ill-intentioned.  I just thought he was too conservative and 90's.  I actually feel a bit sorry for him now.  With me and others talking about how we knew he wasn't doing the things needed for us to succeed, I felt like I wanted to pause today and say "Steve, you did good with Nyland, Elmo, keeping Jack, and especially signing McGiniesta, I didn't always support you, but I supported everything you did that was good for Villa.  So, thanks and all the best in your future, unless you are managing a team Villa is playing against."

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Barney_avfc said:

Dean Smith when asked, "Why were you shouting at your players to get up whilst 2-0 up? Surely you could have sat back and played it safe? Why take the risk?"

" My philosophy is this : 1-0, 2-0 or 5-0 up: never ever settle for it, you must be hungry for more. If you do sit back not only are you inviting the opposition to get back into the game but you are showing them mercy. You have to look at the bigger picture, I don't only want us to destroy our current opponent's. I want to breed fear into our next ones "?

This real?

I’ve never been as happy as I am now with a villa win. What a great result, and the result that should send a huge message out . I thought if we could get a win, it would be huge, but 3.0, I just didn’t expect that. Brilliant! 

• Like 1

Â