Villa Park name/sponsor deal

hippo

8 hours ago, lp_villa830 said:

You get a decent view of that going along the expressway 

Cant see it anymore going towards the city centre, theres a new building blocking the view. I always used to point it out to the kids and they'd get all excited but can't anymore :(

Doesn't bother me. I'll always say "I'm off to The Villa", even if the ground is renamed because "The Villa" are two words that mean so SO much more than a location. It encompasses memories, an experience, a celebrated and famous name in this country's rich football tapestry; almost a way of life - a chosen path for some.

Call it what they want or need to. I know what I'll always call it.

• Like 2

I hope some ragged tracksuited philanthropist  will buy the naming rights in order to protect the sacred name of Villa Park from being tarnished by some disgraceful exploitation institution...sorry I meant brand

In fact this would be a genius way to circumvent the farce that is financial fair play. Some guy paying millions to name Villa Park "Villa Park", thus keeping us within the law?

Edited by screwdriver

15 hours ago, TheStagMan said:

I didn't know that the scum down the road had renamed their stadium.

St Andrew’s Trillion Trophy Stadium 

LOL :crylaugh:

It a bit unrealistic though mentioning St Andrews and trophy in the same sentence.

Well, only them, Lestoh and the Coventry Vermin are the only Midlands PL/FL teams to win trophies this decade...

We're in the longest run in our history now without winning a 'major.'

On topic, it'll always be Villa Park to me. If it gets us out of a funding fudge hole, then I'm on board.

On 09/11/2018 at 14:23, bannedfromHandV said:

The Adidas Villa Park 

I could live with that....but then, I could probably live with anything because no matter who sponsors it I'll never call it anything but Villa Park. 

That's the thing, nobody will call it anything but Villa Park except those who'd be obliged to such as broadcasters.

If a new stadium is branded, that's the name.  If an old stadium is branded nobody pays any attention.

• Like 1

Not for me thanks, some things in football should be sacred . If we take a stadium naming rights deal now then the chances are we will never be without one again, and who knows what dodgy sponsors will be lining up to be the "________ Villa Park" in future years.

Some things are more important than cash; like tradition, legacy and integrity. I think for new stadiums it is different as they do not already have an identity to steal, but for traditional football grounds with real history I think it is actually damaging for the club brand in the long run beyond the short-term cash injection.

Look at the "Sports Direct Arena @ St. James Park" debacle from a few years back. The bad feeling around the SJP naming rights was so strong that even wonga.com (the purveyors of human misery) opted not to take up the naming rights of SJP, despite it being part of their sponsorship deal!  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mikeyjavfc said:

Some things are more important than cash; like tradition, legacy and integrity. 

If you want to stay relevant, cash is important, and the modern young football fan does not care for any of these things. We've traditionally been part of the leading pack for the large part since our inception. Two more seasons down here and we're joining the "used to be famous, but nobody outside of it's own fans knows, cares or wants to know" club.

4 hours ago, mikeyjavfc said:

Not for me thanks, some things in football should be sacred . If we take a stadium naming rights deal now then the chances are we will never be without one again, and who knows what dodgy sponsors will be lining up to be the "________ Villa Park" in future years.

Some things are more important than cash; like tradition, legacy and integrity. I think for new stadiums it is different as they do not already have an identity to steal, but for traditional football grounds with real history I think it is actually damaging for the club brand in the long run beyond the short-term cash injection.

Look at the "Sports Direct Arena @ St. James Park" debacle from a few years back. The bad feeling around the SJP naming rights was so strong that even wonga.com (the purveyors of human misery) opted not to take up the naming rights of SJP, despite it being part of their sponsorship deal!  

In the last few years, Bradford City's ground has been variously: The Pulse Radio Stadium, The Bradford & Bingley Stadium, The Intersonic Stadium, The Coral Windows Stadium and The Northern Commercials Stadium. 

Never referred to by fans as anything but Valley Parade. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, islingtonclaret said:

If you want to stay relevant, cash is important, and the modern young football fan does not care for any of these things. We've traditionally been part of the leading pack for the large part since our inception. Two more seasons down here and we're joining the "used to be famous, but nobody outside of it's own fans knows, cares or wants to know" club.

Yeah but we’re not talking about untold riches here, Bournemouth’s current naming deal is worth c. £600,000 a year and that’s for a prem side not championship, but probably comparable to what we might get. 

Assuming we get promoted some time soon it could be worth more (West ham were  close to signing ~£3 million deal with Vodafone for London stadium couple of years ago), but it’s still not exactly the promise land when the prem tv rights are 20 times that. Totally not worth it in my opinion. 

On 11/11/2018 at 13:49, Keener window-cleaner said:

The only name change I’d approve at the moment is ”Dean Smith’s Villa Park”.

Sure you meant the Tony Xia Villa Park rite ?

5 hours ago, islingtonclaret said:

We might as well take the cash. As long as we don't name it as inappropriately as the idiots out East.

Could have the Rocket Villa Park club and have strippers lap dancing on the corner flags while corners are being taken..

41 minutes ago, mikeyjavfc said:

Yeah but we’re not talking about untold riches here, Bournemouth’s current naming deal is worth c. £600,000 a year and that’s for a prem side not championship, but probably comparable to what we might get. 

Assuming we get promoted some time soon it could be worth more (West ham were  close to signing ~£3 million deal with Vodafone for London stadium couple of years ago), but it’s still not exactly the promise land when the prem tv rights are 20 times that. Totally not worth it in my opinion. 

Well they say that Manchester United could make as much as 26 million a year if they sold old Trafford naming rites.

I don't think it's because it's a premier league team, I think it also is the city and how much business is being generated in that city that will bring the big fish in to take up the name. With it being birmingham the second biggest city in the country that could fetch a decent sponsor alone  I do think your rite in a sense that there is a difference between a championship and premier side, it's bound to have an effect on the money generated by the sponsor. Also fan base I think, if a club has a big fan base that's also going to help a decent sponsor coming in as it's better advertisement. The location as well is Villa Park a place where there are high traffic volumes or levels of commuting.

There's alot of factors Involved I think..

47 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

Sure you meant the Tony Xia Villa Park rite ?

Wasn't it some speculation that we would rename Villa Park early in his regime? Remember some (perhpas not too serious) speculation of Vicvilla Villa Park, Glutamate Villa Park, Teamax Villa Park...I think there was another quite cathy and funny one, but can't remember it at the moment...

6 hours ago, mikeyjavfc said:

Amen to that.

praise the lord applause GIF