Derby pre match

Demitri_C

Tough tough game this one.  Lamps and it on different sides.  Suprised its not been selected for tv. We did terribly thwre last year. Let's hope for a better showing this year. 

I'll be happy with a point if offered now

How things have changed since the 0-6 in 2008, now they're ten places and seven points above us. And we haven't won two league games in a row in 14. : < The lads are probably going to have to somehow come up with a top performance and a very big effort for this one to get all three points, come on Villa !

Looking at the Derby-small heath game - what I noticed was that Derby eventually overcame the heath through possession of the football, they had something like 70% possession in the second half. I think that might bode well for us - we'll do a better job than those in blue at keeping the ball away from Derby, which might frustrate them. I think possession in this one will be a stat that matters and the game might be decided on who keeps the ball best. Derby are a big test for us, but we'll also be a challenge for them.

I think what also bodes well is that we'll be able to follow the Derby example in our own derby game afterwards and see off the neighbours. Derby beat them in a way that will be much more difficult against us, Derby beat them in a way we'll have a chance of replicating. I like this.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Robtaylor200 said:

Many people saying we have a tough next 7 games. 

I look at as. This is our chance to beat the top teams and get back to where we belong

VTID

Totally agree. Playing teams above us now offers a great opportunity to reel them back in.

I don't see any side to fear in this division and it seems that any side can beat any other and on paper at least I think we are as good as any team in this division.

Clearly we need wins and we are a team that is blessed going forward and weaker at the back with a manager that is very attack minded. I expect we'll go into this with nothing but leaving with three points on our minds. 

• Like 1

Really looking forward to this one, a win on Saturday could be the catalyst for our push for promotion. It's all about instilling that confidence in the players and allowing them the belief to play their game and not be overawed by our opponents.  We're potentially as good as any team in this league and it's time to show that. 

• Like 2

I too think we can beat anyone, if we apply ourselves correctly.

I also think we may have better opportunities to play, against the better teams.

we have struggled in the past to deal with teams who just try to physically negate our game.

paradoxically these tough games coming up may be the making of our season.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, robby b said:

How things have changed since the 0-6 in 2008, now they're ten places and seven points above us. And we haven't won two league games in a row in 14. : < The lads are probably going to have to somehow come up with a top performance and a very big effort for this one to get all three points, come on Villa !

To add to that, of teams ever present since we joined the Championship only Derby have more points than us.....and it’s only 3 more...so Saturday ties us at the top of that ‘League’ if we Win and from then on it’s onward and upward !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, theboyangel said:

I’d be very happy if we come out of the game with a clean sheet!

You are Steve Bruce and I claim my free Defensive Midfielder ?

Itd be nice, but our ambitions need to be bigger.....in normal times a 0-0 would be a d3cent enough result but we need a Statement, and we are capable of one .

3-2 the Villa !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Now THIS is a test.  I think we're playing well enough in possession.  Our problem will be that we need to make very few mistakes when not in possession.  Our positioning etc.  We also need to start being clinical in front of goal.  Norwich showed us what a well-drilled side can do in this league.  We need to be more like that.  I think I'd take a draw and a good performance here though, and just set us up for the 'noses.

• Like 1