Are Kids Getting Worse?

rsjg80

Is Kids Behaviour Getting Worse?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Is Kids Behaviour Getting Worse?

• No, they're always slightly mischievous.
    • It's about the same as it always was - your getting old!
    • Yes, their behaviour has deteriorated alarming in last decade.

Its all just a vicous cirlce... The people who tend to have the most children are uneducated chavs (or whatever u call them), and then their kids do the same so it seems as if we're gonna be overrun with ASBO kids in years to come if no drastic action is taken... Im only 19 and have only lived in England for 3 yrs, lived in the middle east before, but its plain to see where the problem lies

as i am 15 and i do piss people of mainly teachers because school is so shit and depressing and a lot hrder now adays than it was say 30 years ago this has a affect on me and people of my age also other reasons

it does

I have no idea what you are good at but surely say you are good at sport but not say French, it makes more sense to devote your time to that

you still need a basic education, to be able to read. add up etc. but beyond this it should be based on ability and totaly flexible

Now I'm not trying to sound like a smug git here or anything but I have 10 GCSEs, 4 A-Levels, a degree and PGCE and found all of them mind numbingly boring and easy and did no work for any of them, yet I didn't feel the need to ever be rude or troublesome to the teacher - I just went to sleep in the corner or skipped school to play snooker! I never understand this excuse of 'Oh I was bored' or 'the work was too easy/hard' etc to justify appalling behavior. They same excuse would not be acceptable in later life.

Whilst I agree with some of the above (tailored eduction) there is a necessity to provide some of the basic skills to survive in life. As I'm sure you're aware, your plans for your life change drastically between the ages of 10 and 20 so to say children should drop certain things is a bit premature. Children get the opportunity to drop less important subjects in secondary school for others but I thing it would be extremely irresponsible to allow them to drop some of them - you'd have some children who may display an aptitude for the maths/ sciences dropping them for fear or peer group reprisal!!

However once you get beyond compulsory education then I fully agree that pushing children down the academic route as a 'one size fits all' plan is also pointless. But although you NOW know what was useful to you and what wasn't you can't be so sure at the time.

Besides, the idea of education is not so much the what but the how. Well that's how I approach teaching, knowing the facts is all well and good but I'm much more interested in teaching children HOW to learn rather than filling them with mindless facts that most adults wouldn't know.

your right you can;t be but people have certain abilities which are clear so why push them down a route they woud never do

We know future football stars can be spotted at 6

the same goes that you know very early whetehr a kid has an appitude for say maths

I would totally scrap the national cirrculuim and devise indivudual learning based on ability

however in this country people are very hung up on the number of qualifiations

it is obvious for example that to be a doctor you need to be excellent at science, wo why then ask a prospective doctor to say do art ?

as i am 15 and i do piss people of mainly teachers because school is so shit and depressing and a lot hrder now adays than it was say 30 years ago
School is HARDER than it was thirty years ago??? You are out of your mind. Have you not seen any of those programs where they put modern kids through a sample of 50s/60s/70s education? My boss was a teacher until very recently and he is adamant that it is many times easier today and standards are way lower.

One small example. My daughters have both done A-Level English recently, and weren't even expected to read the whole of their set novels, just a selected couple of chapters. When I did O-Level (GCSE equivalent, mind, not even A-Level) in 1970, our set book was Hardy's "Far From The Madding Crowd", and they expected us to read the whole book - preferably twice - plus as many OTHER Hardy novels we could fit in, for comparison. This was as well as (typically) eight or nine other subjects - in my case French, Latin, maths, physics, chemistry, biology, geography and history - all of which had similar workloads.

I'm not saying I think it should be like that now - times change, and rightly so - but don't tell me it was "easier" back then!

as i am 15 and i do piss people of mainly teachers because school is so shit and depressing and a lot hrder now adays than it was say 30 years ago
School is HARDER than it was thirty years ago??? You are out of your mind. Have you not seen any of those programs where they put modern kids through a sample of 50s/60s/70s education? My boss was a teacher until very recently and he is adamant that it is many times easier today and standards are way lower.

One small example. My daughters have both done A-Level English recently, and weren't even expected to read the whole of their set novels, just a selected couple of chapters. When I did O-Level (GCSE equivalent, mind, not even A-Level) in 1970, our set book was Hardy's "Far From The Madding Crowd", and they expected us to read the whole book - preferably twice - plus as many OTHER Hardy novels we could fit in, for comparison. This was as well as (typically) eight or nine other subjects - in my case French, Latin, maths, physics, chemistry, biology, geography and history - all of which had similar workloads.

I'm not saying I think it should be like that now - times change, and rightly so - but don't tell me it was "easier" back then!

Absolutely, Schooling has been dumbed down... well dumbed down probably isn't the right thing to say, but for people that don't have the academic skills, they have the option of vocational GNVQ's.

I also read an article where text speak is becoming acceptable when handing in papers.

It's also been said that exams are easier, etc.

In my day, there were no computers/internet or cell phones to help you do your homework... Kids today, don't know their fecking born!

damothaking wrote:

It was harder even a measly 6 years ago!!!!! Finding a career that is worthy is harder nowadays.

Service sector anyone? lol

30 years ago you had to work in the mines and still get your homework done ;)

as i am 15 and i do piss people of mainly teachers because school is so shit and depressing and a lot hrder now adays than it was say 30 years ago this has a affect on me and people of my age also other reasons

What a very typical statement from Generation "Y"!

I also see comprehension in schools has improved! :roll:

Absolutely, Schooling has been dumbed down... well dumbed down probably isn't the right thing to say, but for people that don't have the academic skills, they have the option of vocational GNVQ's.

correct and it is that mix that the right wing detest

for them the simple notion of schooling is just how many exams you have passed

that is not relevant for a great number of people in this country including myself

correct and it is that mix that the right wing detest

for them the simple notion of schooling is just how many exams you have passed

Absolute horseshit Ian, why would they detest it as you say, I think it's a great system, the reason I mentioned it is because somebody posted that schooling is harder these day, which is absolute crap, as you have more options and different types of education, GNVQ's where actually brought in by the Tory government, I should know I did one in 1996, and before that there was City and Guilds....

So where on Earth you get this Right Wing bollocks from I don't know!

your right you can;t be but people have certain abilities which are clear so why push them down a route they woud never do

the same goes that you know very early whetehr a kid has an appitude for say maths

I would totally scrap the national cirrculuim and devise indivudual learning based on ability

it is obvious for example that to be a doctor you need to be excellent at science, wo why then ask a prospective doctor to say do art ?

That would suggest that a child's future could be chosen for him/her by the time they are 10 years old (or even younger?)

A proof of why that shouldnt happen I can apply to my 13 year old brother - until he was 8/9 he was awful at 'maths' (I refuse to call colouring in circles maths...) but he will be taking his GCSE this year - he's in year 9...

By your theory, he would have been removed from following the maths/science route despite now it being clear he is very strong (in comparison to classmates) at these subjects?

Maybe a one-off case, but you can't say there arent more like that?

School is harder??

Are you sure??

Not the case - now schools have to hit targets, so teach kids to pass exams, rather than to learn the subject. In my case alone, my Art teachers did my coursework (worth 85% of the course) and my French teacher held cards for me to read off in my Oral exam - the school had a history of straight A*'s at Art and they didnt want to lose this, plus the French dept were struggling and needed to pull up their numbers.

What they did was wrong, but I really don't care - they did that to pull up their own departments scores, rather than help me. If they'd been that bothered, they'd have taught me the subject, rather than teaching to targets.

My father is a headmaster, has been a science teacher all his working life, in some of the worst funded valley schools there are - and he agrees that the teaching has changed to teach for the stats than for the pupil's benefit.

Looking at your grammar I'd have to agree - your school IS shit

LOY

That would suggest that a child's future could be chosen for him/her by the time they are 10 years old (or even younger?)

A proof of why that shouldnt happen I can apply to my 13 year old brother - until he was 8/9 he was awful at 'maths' (I refuse to call colouring in circles maths...) but he will be taking his GCSE this year - he's in year 9...

By your theory, he would have been removed from following the maths/science route despite now it being clear he is very strong (in comparison to classmates) at these subjects?

Maybe a one-off case, but you can't say there arent more like that?

look there might be loads but you also know by the age of 10 it is obvious where most kids strengths are and that is what should be concetrated on

yes there is a need for a decent level of English and Maths but most people who get GCE's at this never use them to any extent.

the whole system is based far too much on exam results

and I would add that exams are no real indicator of how intelligent someone is but of how good they are at exams.

What do you mean the Right loves the 11+ please show me where you are coming from with this, because seeing GNVQ was brought in the the Tories, it kinda disproves your point and are just making things up!

Personally, don't you think some sort of exam is viable at 11 years of age to show which direction kids should take?

I dont' even think the 11+ even exists anymore does it?

Â