Are Kids Getting Worse?

rsjg80

Is Kids Behaviour Getting Worse?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Is Kids Behaviour Getting Worse?

• No, they're always slightly mischievous.
    • It's about the same as it always was - your getting old!
    • Yes, their behaviour has deteriorated alarming in last decade.

Very off topic (so in the right section!) but just a quick poll; are kids in this country getting worse by the day or am I just getting old and forgetting it's always been like that?!

Be interesting based on your ages too. I'm relatively young (27) but I remember being really scared of the Head, even the really naughty kids were. Now even the 'better' kids couldn't give a monkeys and mouth off and kick Teachers and Heads etc.

So, in you opinion, has kids behaviour declined that rapidly (i.e. in 10 years since I left school) or is it just the same as it always has been, each generation slightly worse than the last!!

Reason I ask is I'm a supply teacher in PRIMARY and 90% of the kids are mouthy to me (We'll I am Supply) but also the Head etc in a variety of schools and I just can't believe it seems to have got this bad - or am I just getting old as I half suspect?!

... I remember being really scared of the Head, even the really naughty kids were. Now even the 'better' kids couldn't give a monkeys...

I think that you also need to consider that these days head teachers are pussies compared to how they used to be.

I'm only 20, but I'm not really a kid. I'm not saying I was an angel or anything when I was growing up, but some of the kids about nowadays are just terrible. The lack of respect they show for everything is a complete disgrace!

No, parents are getting worse

I think you've hit the nail on the head there

I posted a few months back about declining standards in the U.K in general ...

all i know is that my 2 kids will grow up with manners and to be polite ...that's the very minimal i can give to them as a parent .. but I hope to be able to give them so much more besides

It's especially interesting to hear younger members of the forum saying they think children are awful these days.

However I agree with some of the above posts, it probably should have been written "are parents getting worse" as children are a product of their environment. However that is all a bit deep for a forum poll!

I just wondered if, for whatever reason, people agreed with my concerns. I would not have a child in this country now, I really wouldn't; I feel as if we are on the brink of a real social meltdown and that seems slightly over the top but I only see one or two children a SCHOOL by Year 6 that are anywhere near respectful - they're 10 and that idea scares me. Teachers hands are tied and parents are getting younger and care less - how can things get better?

the perception is that kids are

however I am not so sure but I think the 'bad kids' are causing more trouble so the perception rises that it is more when in fact it is the same % as years ago causing trouble but just more of it

however to back this up don;t we need the stats ?

Kids can get away with more these days. I am only 21, but if I did something naughty when I was young, I got a smack and got in a lot of trouble. Kids these days with their mobile phones at 11 years old and internet access know too much, and are allowed to get away with too much. I don't think kids are worse, I just don't think they have the fear of punishment they used to.

how can things get better?

easy ..don't vote Labour at the next election :-)

discipline is easy to restore , be it a tough approach or a education approach ..i guess it's up to society which option we adopt ..if my children are out of line and need a clip around the ear , IF all other options have failed , then they will get it and no-one and nothing will deter me from doing it ..i'm not advocating child abuse and beating children here but a clip around the ear never did me any harm and taught a far better lesson than going to sit on "the naughty step" ........mind you i say that but at the moment it is hard to tell off a 3 year old when he does wrong with such a cheeky grin and these angel eyes looking at you ..even my cat isn't scared of me and wont get off my pillow when i try to go to bed at night ...

Tony with his usual "blame it all on the government" rhetoric again. :-)

Funny Tony you blame it on the parents (and I blame a lot on it too). Now where exactly did the parents get their sense of right and wrong? Where and when were they taught on the values of today?

clue: Thatcher's children :-)

thats bollocks Tony

I use the naughty step method with Amy and even at 18 months she understand some basic principles, like she can not touch the TV, go near the fire etc.

and not once have I had to hit or touch her

she knows when she has done wrong because once I threaten her with the step (in the right otne of voice) she stops and if she has to go there, she screams which means I have won

I would never hit my own child

I would never hit my own child

i'm talking a clip ..you make it sound like I'm saying belt the living crap out of them

your also talking about a girl , and 18mths old , i'm talking about a boy that is a teenager jack the lad in years to come ...big difference

naughty step though ..sorry but that has to be the gayest thing i've ever heard in parenting .. i talk to my 3 year old and explain right and wrong ... beleive it or not they do understand

Oh I would love a tougher approach to children's behaviour. I'm in serious danger of turning into a Grumpy Old Git aren't I?!

Parents like you Tony fill me with hope but you are few are far between. I wouldn't even want to smack a child that wasn't mine but it disgusts me that punishment has been taken out of the parents hands too.

In schools we can not punish them at all - expelling children is basically forbidden by the county council, parents have to agree to detentions (which they never do) and children know they can get away with everything. The most common thing I hear is "so? what you going to do" and the honest answer should be "nothing". We can't keep them in for breaks, they walk out and we can't physically touch them/ lock them in, there parents won't intervene and the law makers say we must keep everyone in school. I really can't repeat enough I'm talking about Primary kids here. I'm just speechless it's got this bad.

Maybe not being a parent I don't know all the techniques but even with my training I've run out of ideas! The kids have everything they want (PSP's in their pockets, mobiles in their bags) and there is NOTHING that will control them even a reasonable amount.

I see nothing wrong with a clip around the ear, and I also think the naughty-step is bloody stupid, kids should be sent to their rooms, the only reason the naughty step came about is because parents spoil their children with too much crap, like TV's, PS and they like in their bedroom, so sending them there isn't a punishment, Aston, will not have a TV in his room, nor a computer, a Bedroom is for exactly that bed and sleep.

Â