• Jonathan Kodjia
    • Tammy Abraham
    • Yannick Bolasie (for Adomah, 73)
    • Scott Hogan (for Abraham, 81)
    • Glenn Whelan (for Grealish, 90)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/11/18 at 23:59

my review of the players.

Nyland -         oh boy, terrible, is Sarkic ready?

Taylor -           looked hit and miss in the first half, but actually did pretty well in the second half.

Tuanzebe -    great performance. (should sign him in Jan if at all possible :P )

Chester -        goal line clearance, a goal, played really well. (MOTM)

Hutton -          looked hit and miss in the first half, but actually did pretty well in the second half.

Hourihane -    terrible imo, just terrible, should be on the bench at best, some of his passing was terrible, poor choice/passing got us in trouble more than once, if hes a DLP i'm Lionel Messi.

McGinn -        not his normal all action self, but covered the pitch well, decent performance.

Grealish -       some really nice play at times, good performance, nice goal.

Kodjia -          some nice runs / touches, but no final ball, always seemed to make the wrong choice, infuriating tbh.

Adomah -      some nice runs / touches, but no final ball, always seemed to make the wrong choice, infuriating tbh.

Abraham -     nice assist for grealish, looked good at times, but also sometimes he seems to struggle controlling the ball.

Bolasie -        some nice runs, but still needs to learn to press/track, and also he needs to realise he can pass to fellow team members.

Hogan -         made some nice runs, but didnt rly have time to make an impact.

MOTM - Chester, but Tuanzebe a close second, Grealish third.

Edited by MaVilla

9 minutes ago, jim said:

Decent performance and played well in spells. I’m not going to get carried away, still lots to improve and a better side would pick us apart. 

Its a shame we didnt have an easier run of games so we could build confidence and momentum to be fine tuned by the time we play the better teams.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Its a shame we didnt habe an easier run of games so we could built confidence and momentum to be fine tuned by the time we play the better teams.

That was supposed to be the first 10 or so games of the season.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It was between Chester and Abraham for MotM. I went with Abraham because he led the line, worked his nuts off, closed down the opposition and turned the ball over to put us on the front foot on numerous ocassions. He would have scored as well if Kodjia hadn't overcooked the cross. 

Although chester made a worldie clearance and scored, he made a couple of serious errors that would have resulted in goals, if it weren't for axel's pace to save the day. 

Edited by Made In Aston

We saw it out and the passing was superb at times. But we don’t take enough of our chances, our defending is suspect and I think our keeper is some guy who got mixed up at the airport and hasn’t had the nerve to admit he’s really a personal trainer or something. We’ll get smashed by the better teams over the next month. January will be a very important window this year.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Grealish was brilliant again tonight as were the 2 center backs. Gave MOTM to the captain, because he pulled a performance out the bag when he really needed one after questionable displays of late. Hopefully that gives him his confidence back and he can get back to the player we know.

Still give away far too many chances, I really hope we can somehow grow into the season now and show a bit of consistency. We need a run of wins and no better time to start than now with a lot of big games coming up now against promotion candidates. We need to look forward to these games and step it up against the better sides. Important win tonight, but its just a start. UTV

Playing Jack further up the pitch is the major plus for me, plus 3 other attacking players :)

Let's hope we can sort our defence. We will shoot up the table if we can defend properly.

Enjoying watching Villa again rather than dreading it. Thank you Dean!

• Like 2

Gave Chester motm for the obvious reasons, but felt Axel was great too - made some important interceptions at key times. Love his pace and assurance on the ball too. 

Felt a little nervy at times, particularly before the second goal, but we were solid after going 2-0 up. 

Six massive games coming up, need to come out of the other side still in touch with the top two. 

Really chuffed for Jack too!!

UTV

• Like 1

Good performance overall and you can see huge improvements in our shape, balance and going forward, but our defence will get punished by better teams although lets hope confidence helps.

Let's hope the new goal keeping coach tells Nyland to command his box and get off his line!

Jack played well, covered loads of ground and players further up the pitch . We looked nervous in possession and this needs to be sorted. I'm also not to sure about Chester and Taylor on our left hand side , they both lack height but they both seemed to improve in the second half .

Saved my most important point until last .......the ref , some of the  Bolton's players  tackles were borderline red cards, the ref didn't even give a yellow cards. If the championship wants to become a better league then it has to start with refs protecting the more skillful players. 

Any how great game , thanks villa now I can enjoy my weekend UTV 

• Like 4

Good result good performance and much needed. Smith is already putting his stamp on this team and you could almost see Taylor and Hutton fighting the urge to chip aimless balls up to the front men at the start such was the engrained Bruceball percentage football mantra that had been drummed into the team. Smith is drilling them to pass the ball on the floor first and foremost and without the ball there is much more intensity in our pressing. Ultimately we should be beating Bolton at home every day of the week and tougher tests are to come, but so far so good and the direction of travel is very pleasing to see.

plusses - tuanzebe really finding his groove; Chester back on top form, Tammy really looking the complete forward but for his miscontrol at the start of the 2nd half; mcginn appetite to tackle is immense

minuses - can we put in a sustained challenge with such a dodgy goalie?

• Like 1

Good stuff. I gave MotM to McGinn for his ridiculous workrate and steel ass. Thought Tuanzebe and Chester were solid. Hutton had some decent attacking forays. I liked Kodjia tonight (can we stop with the ‘doesnt pass’ stuff, it’s just not true). Grealish... goal and assist, great to see and hopefully he can kick on from here. 

Negatives... nothing Adomah tries comes off recently, but he is a trier so I don’t want to get on his back. Tammy is a strange one... looks the complete player and you wonder what he’s doing at this level but the fella misses a few chances. Cracking player though for us. Hourihane was a bit off tonight at times but never hid. Bolasie... I don’t rate him. Good tricks and he’s exciting, and I know some players don’t defend as well as others but he doesn’t even pretend to try. At one point when he’s been on five minutes he stood and pointed at an overlapping player and they had a decent chance from it. If you can only play 20 minutes then do some running mate. 

And a a clean sheet always seems unlikely. We all know why  

Surprised at the ref ratings. I thought he was poor, missing blatant free kicks and giving some weird decisions both ways. 

Onwards and upwards hopefully!

• Like 2

Â