• Jonathan Kodjia
    • Tammy Abraham
    • Yannick Bolasie (for Adomah, 73)
    • Scott Hogan (for Abraham, 81)
    • Glenn Whelan (for Grealish, 90)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/11/18 at 23:59

10 hours ago, Lerner's Driver said:

Sufficient and clearly improving all the time. Kodjia, Taylor and Nyland continue to be poor, with the latter on borrowed time. Totally out of his depth. Hutton, Grealish, Chester and Tuanzebe all looking decent tonight. 6.8 for the team performance.

Kodjia poor? What game were you watching, he was immense last night.

• Like 2

Surprised by some of the comments on here regarding last night's game.

I thought at time we were brilliant, at other points we coasted along and let Bolton in. Overall though it was a comfortable win and we controlled the game very well, you can see the improvement already, the possession football we were struggling with in the last two games is now becoming easier to play. At time we struggle when the opposition press us back, we need to start learning when to play a long ball instead of messing around with it at the back for too long.

Nyland - 6 - Still a worry, he is a great shot stopper, but a liability for crosses. He also keeps trying to save shots that are off target which is slightly strange. Hopefully we will see an improvement under Cutler.

Hutton - 7 - A slow start but was great in the second half, some great challenges and got forward well. Would like to see him back on the left with Bree given a chance at RB.

Taylor - 5 - Average at best, defended well but some of his passing was strange. Passing to players who are a couple of yards away and clearly being marked turned over the possesion numerous time.

Tuanzebe - 8 - Immense again, really starting to show why the United fans raved about him. Mops up a lot at the back with his pace.

Chester - 8 - Back to his best and looked a lot more comfortable tonight. Great clearance and did well for the goal. The partnership is slowly forming.

Adomah - 6 - Slowly improving again, a constant threat on either wing but his final delivery lets us down at times. Better than anything else we have (bar an fit Bolasie)

Kodjia - 7 - Brilliant tonight, not quite sure how people are saying he was awful. Finally passing the ball and played a few balls across the box where a year ago he would have taken on the shot. Some of the movement out wide to beat a man was a pleasure to watch. Tracked back very well at the end to end a rare Bolton attack.

Hourihane - 6 - Started slowly but second half dropped into the anchor man role and ran the game for us. His passing range is a lot better from deep and it is something that we need to see going forward (at home at least). Proves that the Hourihane, McGinn, Grealish midfield can work.

McGinn - 6 - Fairly subdued performance from him but didn't do much wrong. A couple of battling runs forward as we have been accustomed to.

Grealish - 8 - Back to his best and clearly been told to get himself in and around the box, some of the link up play was excellent. Needs to push on now and bag a few more goals and assists.

Abraham - 6 - Tough night for him against some monster CBs, dealt with it well bringing the ball down at times but his second touch let him down. Great ball through to Grealish for the goal. One of those nights for him and will be back to his best on Saturday I'm sure.

Bolasie - 7 - Finally showed what he can do, a constant threat when he came on. Some of the stuff he was pulling out was ridiculous. When we can get him firing he will be frightening in this league.

Hogan - Ran his socks off for 10 minutes but didn't see much of the ball bar a decent cross in. Personally would have liked to see him come on for Abraham at the 65/70 minute mark to get a bit longer. If we continue playing this style of football against teams I am sure he will come good.

1 hour ago, wilko154 said:

Really?

I thought he was absolutely terrible. Made the wrong decision every time he got near the goal. He had a nightmare of a game.

1 hour ago, wilko154 said:

Really? Immense?

Half decent and deserving of a run in the side for me.  He has an unpredictability that the other wingers dont have atm.

However we are trying to incorporate a team attacking game here and this is where he will have to alter his game to stay in the side. It will be impossible to get him and Bolasie in the same side as the ball will never be released quick enough, so he needs to build a head of steam up.

Last night he was too self indulgent for me, that shot in the first half was a gimmi for someone of his talents, yet he decided to hit the glory shot to sky it high and wide. We need to be more clinical and things like that dont help. Needs to learn to release the ball quicker.

He was the better of the wingers last night but 'Immense' is far from what i saw.

I was reasonably pleased with the performance. We played some neat stuff, were fairly well organised and overall comfortably deserved the win. This is what we should be able to expect every week in this league. 

It was far from perfect, of course, and we need improve. Our goalie is a nervous wreck, we let opponents bully us and our best players, and we’re wasteful from good positions. Our full backs lack attacking qualities, and we get little production from our wingers. Tactically, the players let Bolton turn the game into a chaotic affair, after we started very brightly, when we should have slowed down the tempo and kept the ball in play. We lack a fair bit of composure, Jack Grealish and Axel Tuanzebe being very honourable exceptions and good models for what the rest of them should strive for. 

What gives me encouragement is that I have a lot of faith in Dean Smith’s ability to see these things, and work hard to improve them, instead of taking this win as an opportunity to bang his chest about shutting a few people up and then have the players spend the next week at BMH playing five-a-side, a bit of stretching before working on putting wor boots on.

Onwards and upwards! 

• Like 2

Villa deserved the win but are going to play much better teams than Bolton between now and Christmas so the worry is those defensive frailties may be exposed more.

As most have commented on the keeper does not command his box enough. I noted last night on more than one occasion Nyland taking a step backwards whenever a decent cross came in hoping that his centrebacks would take the responsibility in clearing it.

That is down to confidence rather than ability although he did fumble one for a corner. Nyland just needs more time to settle as did Johnstone before him and I’m sure the new keeper coach will work with him to build that confidence. I just hope Nyland is given that time because it won’t have gone unnoticed that he is at the moment suspect on crosses so the better teams will continually test him on that.

Thought Tuanzebe played really well last night and it’s no surprise we’re seeing much better performances from him in his natural position. He is beginning to form a solid partnership with Chester while Taylor and Hutton also played well. Once the keeper grows in confidence then Villa will concede less.

Just want to mention my thoughts on Tammy Abraham last night. Started to irritate me how many times he failed to control and hold up the ball. His first touch was so poor. In fact I’d go as far to say he looked like the boxer Tommy Hearns out there last night trying to play football. If he is to become the focus of Villa’s attacking play for the rest of the season under DS then his first touch needs to drastically improve on the evidence of lasts nights game.

Still feel Villa are lacking that player that can play the killer pass but I can see Villa are finally moving forward under the new manager, literally.

6 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Anyone else  find it hard to get a good view of the game from North Stand lower. 

Yes it is not great. It was designed for standing so it is too shallow really for seating. Better when you stand tbh.

As for the game it was a decent routine win versus a poor Bolton side. We still look a bit shaky at the back and against  a better side we would have  conceded yesterday surely.  I think Tuanzebe is growing into the central defence role and I think we have more balance with Taylor at left back than Hutton. Nyland is still a worry. The way McGinn plays I can't see him not getting a injury, he really does get stuck in.

We are work in progress and Derby next week will be a  real test.

Edited by The Fun Factory

11 hours ago, westholmevillan said:

I thought Kodjia was awful last night....terrible decision making.  Would replace him with Bolasie who was a real threat after he came on!

Funny how people see different things. I think replacing him with Bolasie would be disastrous for us. IMO Codger is twice the player. But who knows....

• Like 1

Kodja played not too bad last night I thought bearing in mind he was playing more of an attacking role.

He was unlucky on a few occasions but in the position he played in he did not too bad.

Tammy was frustrating in stages and was also unlucky not to get on the score sheet.

Overall it was an encouraging performance and the next 5 games will be the start of the real acid test.

For us they are all must win games if we are serious about mounting a challenge for promotion this season.

14 hours ago, wilko154 said:

Surprised by some of the comments on here regarding last night's game.

I thought at time we were brilliant, at other points we coasted along and let Bolton in. Overall though it was a comfortable win and we controlled the game very well, you can see the improvement already, the possession football we were struggling with in the last two games is now becoming easier to play. At time we struggle when the opposition press us back, we need to start learning when to play a long ball instead of messing around with it at the back for too long.

Nyland - 6 - Still a worry, he is a great shot stopper, but a liability for crosses. He also keeps trying to save shots that are off target which is slightly strange. Hopefully we will see an improvement under Cutler.

Hutton - 7 - A slow start but was great in the second half, some great challenges and got forward well. Would like to see him back on the left with Bree given a chance at RB.

Taylor - 5 - Average at best, defended well but some of his passing was strange. Passing to players who are a couple of yards away and clearly being marked turned over the possesion numerous time.

Tuanzebe - 8 - Immense again, really starting to show why the United fans raved about him. Mops up a lot at the back with his pace.

Chester - 8 - Back to his best and looked a lot more comfortable tonight. Great clearance and did well for the goal. The partnership is slowly forming.

Adomah - 6 - Slowly improving again, a constant threat on either wing but his final delivery lets us down at times. Better than anything else we have (bar an fit Bolasie)

Kodjia - 7 - Brilliant tonight, not quite sure how people are saying he was awful. Finally passing the ball and played a few balls across the box where a year ago he would have taken on the shot. Some of the movement out wide to beat a man was a pleasure to watch. Tracked back very well at the end to end a rare Bolton attack.

Hourihane - 6 - Started slowly but second half dropped into the anchor man role and ran the game for us. His passing range is a lot better from deep and it is something that we need to see going forward (at home at least). Proves that the Hourihane, McGinn, Grealish midfield can work.

McGinn - 6 - Fairly subdued performance from him but didn't do much wrong. A couple of battling runs forward as we have been accustomed to.

Grealish - 8 - Back to his best and clearly been told to get himself in and around the box, some of the link up play was excellent. Needs to push on now and bag a few more goals and assists.

Abraham - 6 - Tough night for him against some monster CBs, dealt with it well bringing the ball down at times but his second touch let him down. Great ball through to Grealish for the goal. One of those nights for him and will be back to his best on Saturday I'm sure.

Bolasie - 7 - Finally showed what he can do, a constant threat when he came on. Some of the stuff he was pulling out was ridiculous. When we can get him firing he will be frightening in this league.

Hogan - Ran his socks off for 10 minutes but didn't see much of the ball bar a decent cross in. Personally would have liked to see him come on for Abraham at the 65/70 minute mark to get a bit longer. If we continue playing this style of football against teams I am sure he will come good.

So you rate Kodjia above McGinn, in this game...ok.

i can see where opinions vary.

Edited by TRO

10 hours ago, striker said:

Villa deserved the win but are going to play much better teams than Bolton between now and Christmas so the worry is those defensive frailties may be exposed more.

As most have commented on the keeper does not command his box enough. I noted last night on more than one occasion Nyland taking a step backwards whenever a decent cross came in hoping that his centrebacks would take the responsibility in clearing it.

That is down to confidence rather than ability although he did fumble one for a corner. Nyland just needs more time to settle as did Johnstone before him and I’m sure the new keeper coach will work with him to build that confidence. I just hope Nyland is given that time because it won’t have gone unnoticed that he is at the moment suspect on crosses so the better teams will continually test him on that.

Thought Tuanzebe played really well last night and it’s no surprise we’re seeing much better performances from him in his natural position. He is beginning to form a solid partnership with Chester while Taylor and Hutton also played well. Once the keeper grows in confidence then Villa will concede less.

Just want to mention my thoughts on Tammy Abraham last night. Started to irritate me how many times he failed to control and hold up the ball. His first touch was so poor. In fact I’d go as far to say he looked like the boxer Tommy Hearns out there last night trying to play football. If he is to become the focus of Villa’s attacking play for the rest of the season under DS then his first touch needs to drastically improve on the evidence of lasts nights game.

Still feel Villa are lacking that player that can play the killer pass but I can see Villa are finally moving forward under the new manager, literally.

Good players retain confidence much more easily than not so good players.

confidence is a part of the make up of a player...and a reflection of his ability.

if you lose it too easily, its fair to say you are not so good ability wise.

28 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Kodja played not too bad last night I thought bearing in mind he was playing more of an attacking role.

He was unlucky on a few occasions but in the position he played in he did not too bad.

Tammy was frustrating in stages and was also unlucky not to get on the score sheet.

Overall it was an encouraging performance and the next 5 games will be the start of the real acid test.

For us they are all must win games if we are serious about mounting a challenge for promotion this season.

Tammy is 20......Kodjia is 28

enough said.

• Confused 1

12 hours ago, Michelsen said:

I was reasonably pleased with the performance. We played some neat stuff, were fairly well organised and overall comfortably deserved the win. This is what we should be able to expect every week in this league. 

It was far from perfect, of course, and we need improve. Our goalie is a nervous wreck, we let opponents bully us and our best players, and we’re wasteful from good positions. Our full backs lack attacking qualities, and we get little production from our wingers. Tactically, the players let Bolton turn the game into a chaotic affair, after we started very brightly, when we should have slowed down the tempo and kept the ball in play. We lack a fair bit of composure, Jack Grealish and Axel Tuanzebe being very honourable exceptions and good models for what the rest of them should strive for. 

What gives me encouragement is that I have a lot of faith in Dean Smith’s ability to see these things, and work hard to improve them, instead of taking this win as an opportunity to bang his chest about shutting a few people up and then have the players spend the next week at BMH playing five-a-side, a bit of stretching before working on putting wor boots on.

Onwards and upwards! 

Very good assessment imo.

the bit about letting opponents bully us is for me a significant concern....and why i think we will struggle, away from home.

It let them back in to the game at times and could have caused us problems.....this has to be worked on.

ps we are so second best with aerial balls all over the pitch....if you lose too many, you start to surrender initiative.....its dangerous.

Edited by TRO
  • Thanks 1

Â