European City Stag Destinations

Stevo985

I think I'm choosing Barcelona.

I know that's not very different, but I've been there before on a stag, so I know it will be good. The flights are cheap. It's not that far (some of the guys coming are a bit weird about travelling!). I speak some Spanish which will help, although everyone in Barcelona speaks English

Will be a shame not to tick another country off the list, but I think I'd feel safer as the organiser going for there.

they're blaming it for delays saying that people are slower getting on the planes because of trying to get their huge "hand luggage" bags on board, i've experienced it 3 times i think where someones kicked off because they've been made to put their bag under their feet and lets face it every **** on a weekend trip via ryanair is taking the biggest hand luggage bag they can get away with, no one is paying for 

same as everything with budget airlines as long as you know about it and can factor it in its not a problem, its still in the cabin too so its not like they're adding a time inconvenience to it either

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

they're blaming it for delays saying that people are slower getting on the planes because of trying to get their huge "hand luggage" bags on board, i've experienced it 3 times i think where someones kicked off because they've been made to put their bag under their feet and lets face it every **** on a weekend trip via ryanair is taking the biggest hand luggage bag they can get away with, no one is paying for 

same as everything with budget airlines as long as you know about it and can factor it in its not a problem, its still in the cabin too so its not like they're adding a time inconvenience to it either

it's a pain in the arse bringing on hand luggage and then finding there's no room for it in the overhead bins. Or having to check it in and wait at the carousel.

If I have to pay £8 but know that I can get my bag on then I'm cool with that.

Thanks for all the advice. 

Barcelona gets the victory though.

Not that different, but I've been before, a couple of the guys going have been before, a good friend of mine has spent a lot of time there (lived there for a bit) so whilst a brand new place would have been cool, I think this will allow me to go to places that I know are good.

Bit late to the party But some places I been

Budapest loved it. But second time i went I didn't enjoy as much as first. It's changed a lot now and become abit more sleazier and alot of homeless people.also its abit more pricier than when I last went.

Prague nice but sausage fest and brothels everywhere. Didn't find much to do but it was very clean and pleasant place.

Riga not very big but we had such a laugh. Was cheap as well. Only downer was that they didn't love the English much out there.

Krakow. Top city definitely recommend 

Barcelona touristy but a hell of a lot to do.

Madrid great city but I think its more for a city break than a stag.

I've heard a lot of good things about talinn that I am hoping I can get to for a friend's stag in the future.

On 10/11/2018 at 21:33, Demitri_C said:

Bit late to the party But some places I been

Budapest loved it. But second time i went I didn't enjoy as much as first. It's changed a lot now and become abit more sleazier and alot of homeless people.also its abit more pricier than when I last went.

Prague nice but sausage fest and brothels everywhere. Didn't find much to do but it was very clean and pleasant place.

Riga not very big but we had such a laugh. Was cheap as well. Only downer was that they didn't love the English much out there.

Krakow. Top city definitely recommend 

Barcelona touristy but a hell of a lot to do.

Madrid great city but I think its more for a city break than a stag.

I've heard a lot of good things about talinn that I am hoping I can get to for a friend's stag in the future.

normally i'm not keen on a guide, but it helped massively in riga...i agree they dont love the english (but didnt get any trouble), but she sweet talked us into a few great bars that we otherwise wouldnt have been able to get into and were the only english in there

totally agree re: prague and hamburg probably fits into that category too

would highly recommend cologne if you want a less debaucherous city - lovely place, which still has shitloads of bars

4 hours ago, tomav84 said:

normally i'm not keen on a guide, but it helped massively in riga...i agree they dont love the english (but didnt get any trouble), but she sweet talked us into a few great bars that we otherwise wouldnt have been able to get into and were the only english in there

totally agree re: prague and hamburg probably fits into that category too

would highly recommend cologne if you want a less debaucherous city - lovely place, which still has shitloads of bars

Same. We had a guide. The women were on us hard out in Latvia the blokes realky hates it. To them it was your Latvian so you should only be with Latvian men. What a backwards mentality it was there.

Tgere was still a large degree of racism there too as they let us all in to one bar but my two non white friends they told them it was a private party and wouldnt let them in (they didn't realise we were all together)

Such a shame as otherwise great place riga was.

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Same. We had a guide. The women were on us hard out in Latvia the blokes realky hates it. To them it was your Latvian so you should only be with Latvian men. What a backwards mentality it was there.

Tgere was still a large degree of racism there too as they let us all in to one bar but my two non white friends they told them it was a private party and wouldnt let them in (they didn't realise we were all together)

Such a shame as otherwise great place riga was.

That is a shame...guess i'm lucky that our group isn't exactly diverse! it's good to visit some of these places but often the locals aren't the most pleasant as you have unfortunately found out

got munich for a stag next year which i cannot wait for...i've nothing but nice things to say about the germans and whichever city i've been to there we've had no hassle and everyone's been perfectly pleasant

Had my stag in Munich last year and it was great.  Wouldn't let me into Hofbrauhaus dressed as bavarian wench though.  Included a jaunt to Nuremburg to watch Germany v San Marino and the train back was one of the greatest hours of my life.

I too am a massive Germanaphile and any major German city would be a great stag venue.

Other places that I think would make great stag venues are Budapest and Madrid.

21 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Had my stag in Munich last year and it was great.  Wouldn't let me into Hofbrauhaus dressed as bavarian wench though.  Included a jaunt to Nuremburg to watch Germany v San Marino and the train back was one of the greatest hours of my life.

I too am a massive Germanaphile and any major German city would be a great stag venue.

Other places that I think would make great stag venues are Budapest and Madrid.

Madrid for me didnt seem like a stag destination.

Got my stag in  2o20. Want to go somewhere I haven't been.  Copenhagen looks like a interesting one or talinn.

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Got my stag in  2o20. Want to go somewhere I haven't been.  Copenhagen looks like a interesting one or talinn.

Madrid surprised me actually.  I'd never seen somewhere so lively on a normal Monday and Tuesday night.  Loads of bars with promos on etc.

You could have yourself a pretty good night out in the Museum of Ham to be fair.

Tallinn was my original stag pick but none of my Northern friends could fly there direct.

Copenhagen is good but quite pricey.

Edited by Wainy316

yeah as much as i want to visit the Scandinavian cities the idea of 10 lads rocking up and paying £10 a pint just doesn't work, depends knowing your own friends and how much they drink and what they are in to, i still havent been on a stag do that was anything more than 2/3 days of solid drinking (mine had 2 activities, beer festival and football) the ideal location for me would be somewhere with a big square / open area where you can sit and drink all day in the sunshine, im not a clubber so not worried about what happens after midnight (think we were all in bed by midnight after the beer festival and after the football - i am another one who had an incredible train journey home - we ended up in a Lithuanian bar in cologne that had a jukebox and let us have a lock in, oasis, ocean colour scene etc 10 lads singing and throwing about £100 down their necks each, barmaid couldnt believe her luck, police banged on the door about 1am and she went and told them to leave us alone)

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Train from Copenhagen airport takes you over to Sweden in about 20 mins , it's quite an interesting journey , and offers you a twin town destination (Malmo)  with football options and drinking options  :)

Øresund_Bridge_from_the_air_in_September_2015.jpg

• Like 1

On 15/11/2018 at 12:55, villa4europe said:

yeah as much as i want to visit the Scandinavian cities the idea of 10 lads rocking up and paying £10 a pint just doesn't work, depends knowing your own friends and how much they drink and what they are in to, i still havent been on a stag do that was anything more than 2/3 days of solid drinking (mine had 2 activities, beer festival and football) the ideal location for me would be somewhere with a big square / open area where you can sit and drink all day in the sunshine, im not a clubber so not worried about what happens after midnight (think we were all in bed by midnight after the beer festival and after the football - i am another one who had an incredible train journey home - we ended up in a Lithuanian bar in cologne that had a jukebox and let us have a lock in, oasis, ocean colour scene etc 10 lads singing and throwing about £100 down their necks each, barmaid couldnt believe her luck, police banged on the door about 1am and she went and told them to leave us alone)

Is a lot of cheapish bars if know the local scene which is quite hard for a stag as most from my experience like to go tourist drinking spots, ex-pat bars etc. 

On 15/11/2018 at 12:21, Wainy316 said:

Madrid surprised me actually.  I'd never seen somewhere so lively on a normal Monday and Tuesday night.  Loads of bars with promos on etc.

You could have yourself a pretty good night out in the Museum of Ham to be fair.

Tallinn was my original stag pick but none of my Northern friends could fly there direct.

Copenhagen is good but quite pricey.

Madrid is a 24/7 city. Metro runs all not too which is perfect

Copenhagen is great but as you say prices are scary

On 01/11/2018 at 16:30, Stevo985 said:

Always reliable VT.

Looking for some recommendations for stag destinations in Europe.

I'm organising a stag in March or April of next year and the stag wants a European city, for 2 nights. We don't want anything too "staggy" (magaluf, malia etc etc) but also want somewhere with plenty to do and enough bars to keep up entertained. He also didn't sound too keen on anything beachy, so city break style destination more than a beach one.

I mooted Budapest, for no particular reason, and having done some research it looks decent enough.

Any other good recommendations? I guess I don't want anything too cliched but I also don't want somewhere where I'm going to have to be a **** explorer to find stuff to do :)

POLAND

as mentioned before i've got bucharest in 2 weeks time, 8 lads for 3 nights, anyone ever been before? found an amazing looking indoor german place and a couple of other places (not fussed about nightclubs we will want bars)

but more importantly has anyone done Transylvania / bran castle as a day trip from there? we're leaning towards doing a touristy guided day trip because public transport has got **** up written all over it

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

as mentioned before i've got bucharest in 2 weeks time, 8 lads for 3 nights, anyone ever been before? found an amazing looking indoor german place and a couple of other places (not fussed about nightclubs we will want bars)

but more importantly has anyone done Transylvania / bran castle as a day trip from there? we're leaning towards doing a touristy guided day trip because public transport has got **** up written all over it

I dont want to be negative. But someone i know went recently and he abspluteky detested the place.

You might enjoy it everyone is different  was cheap though.

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

I dont want to be negative. But someone i know went recently and he abspluteky detested the place.

You might enjoy it everyone is different  was cheap though.

Bucharest is a nice place imo  , more so in the summer as the Women dress like clothing is outlawed :)

Admittedly I was there on my own so not hitting it large on a drinkathon , but in the old town area you've got plenty of bars  including the obligitory Irish bar , a beer hall (called Pavillion H if i recall ,  biggest beer hall in Europe and should get some live bands in there )

Fabrica de Bere Buna is a  craft beer palce if you want to check out the local tipple

Drinking aside , I'd recommend a visit to Ceauşescu’s palace (you probably need to pre-book)  ..it's huge , something like the second biggest building  (adopts Jeremy Clarkson voice) In the World , the tour lasts a couple of hours

I didn't do the Bran castle day trip but there were coaches offering it , think it will be a long day though  , its about 3 hours by road EW and a coach will be full of old people stopping for a wee every 2 minutes and stops at souvenir shops ... see if you can get a private car / mini bus , will be much quicker and give you more time to enjoy the castle

Edited by tonyh29

Â