Leicester City helicopter crash

Demitri_C

I've done quite a bit of helicopter work as a navigator and camera operator with work. I'm not a pilot, or an engineering authority and speculation about what might have happened is purely that. The spinning in the footage would (to me) be indicative of some sort of tail rotor issue, which seems to have manifested itself once the aircraft has successfully made a reasonably standard 'rear' departure from a tight landing space. There are no power lines there for the aircraft to strike, and no towers/pylons as such in the immediate vicinity of the departure. My speculation upon viewing the footage is whether it was a bird strike of some sort in the moment between where the aircraft is lifting and looking to transition into horizontal flight. Like I said, I'm not a pilot, or an engineer. But I was always encouraged to spot birds/other aircraft for the pilot when not looking at my map or 'flying' the gyroscopic camera.

A very tragic set of circumstances. Hopefully, the crew at Farnborough will be able to ascertain what actually happened and mitigate accordingly where practical. Leonardo, the lead manufacturer of the aircraft (formerly Agusta Westland IIRC) have stated that they've never lost an example of this type of helicopter before.

• Like 1

I've tried to post something onto the main LCFC fan forum but I can't get on. I just wanted to pass on my condolences to the club and city in general. My dad always liked the club and many times suggested I should have them as my second team.. It must be very difficult for the fans and players as they all seemed to have a connection with the owner which is rare. I can't make our game tomorrow night but I hope everyone joins in to respect this sad event. God bless the man and may his legacy continue

Â