Pre-Match Thread

BleedClaretAndBlue

Be really good to see a more Dean Smith type of football with another week on the training field.

I'd like to see bree given a game as I'm sure the lack of attacking options from the full backs is hampering our play.

Looking forward to this one, hoping a full week of training will help the squad to gel further and hopefully with a bit of luck that has deserted us over the past couple of games, we can get a much needed 3 points.

The team selection will be interesting;

Does he keep the same (under-performing defence)? Perhaps Bree in for Hutton? Hutton to LB? On current form, I would have Jedinak in for Chester, but he ain't going to drop the skipper. Only Tuanzebe for me in the recent back-line as merited a starting berth.

Midfield wise; McGinn & Grealish definite starters, take your pick from the rest, another four of them might be on the bench! Kodjia wide left? Bolasie with his first start? Does he set up with a more "holding midfielder" or really go out all guns blazing?!  Lansbury make the squad? Time will tell. Looking forward to seeing O'Hare get up to speed, think he will flourish under Smith in time.

Up top; Abraham - Hope he's had plenty of shooting practice this week, that is all. Hoping Davis is close to full fitness, I like him as another option, he may not be a natural finisher, but I think our talented midfielders would benefit from his hold up play in certain matches.

I think we will put on a decent show Friday night, 4-1 Villa and a great start to everybody's weekend! 

UTV 

I don't really know what to expect at the moment.

I'm thinking we'll see more baby steps of improvement and scrape a narrow win here.

But then I wouldn't be surprised if somewhere along the line things just "click" and we see a significant upturn. If that was this game it would be fantastic :D 

14 hours ago, Keyblade said:

We gotta have some wingers in this one. Tired of seeing Elmo and/or Kodjia rocking up on the wings doing nothing.

To be fair mate El Ghazi has looked awful and Bolasie looks dead after 20mins. Throw in the fact that Smith historically doesn't play with out and out wingers and I'm not sure we'll see much change in that regard, although i wouldn't be massively surprised to see Bolasie start. 

Anyone know how the ticket sales are looking for this?

We have more points (10) from the 4 games where we've been out-possessed this season than we have (8) from the 11 where we've out-possessed our opponent.  That'll need to change under Smith.

Was debating whether to go, or not with it being on TV. I’ve took that 3 game offer up, so thought sod it. Bolton on Friday, Forest next month mideeek, and Stoke in December. 

Hopefully the progress continues, and although it’s going to take time, I fully expect 3 points on Friday night. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Be a good 8/9 thousand down on the Swansea game I bet. Be looking at 32/33k . 

Shame. Would have been nice to get a really big crowd, really looking forward to this. 

53 minutes ago, BOF said:

We have more points (10) from the 4 games where we've been out-possessed this season than we have (8) from the 11 where we've out-possessed our opponent.  That'll need to change under Smith.

1% possession for the win!

1 hour ago, av1 said:

Shame. Would have been nice to get a really big crowd, really looking forward to this. 

Two defeats on the bounce killed that. No one else in this division would get over 30k whilst sitting 17th in the league. 

16 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Started selling tickets above the away fans in the bottom tier by looks of it. Obviously Bolton have only taken the bottom tier, but I’ve never known us open the top tier for our fans. 

It is showing availability in the bottom tier as well in Q2. In both the top and bottom tiers (usual away section) if you click on a seat and try to purchase it won't let you. Must just be a glitch as doesn't usually show how many left in away section.

Would like to see Mcginn take Bjarnason’s place in this one in front of the defence with Hourihane and Grealish in mid. Would also probably put Hutton back on the left with Bree/ Elmo on the right of defence.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Two defeats on the bounce killed that. No one else in this division would get over 30k whilst sitting 17th in the league. 

I don't agree that 2 defeats and 17th precludes a 30k attendance.  I think it's very much the fact it's a Friday evening on the tellybox that affects attendances.  The opposition doesn't help either.  But mainly day, time and telly.

• Like 2