Pre-Match Thread

BleedClaretAndBlue

Another Friday night fixture to try and make up some ground. Table makes from grim reading but Bolton are in just as bad form as we are. Id really worry if we fail to win this one. Hopefully its a decent attendance and we can get that much needed result.

Would hope Smith will make a few tweaks to what we saw against QPR; moving Hutton to LB, Elmo to RB and giving Bolasie a start. Should have far too much for Bolton imo; 3-1 Villa.

After this disappointment of losing the last couple of games it’d be good to see how we perform on Friday after Smith has a full week’s training under his belt. 

We absolutely need to win here to stay on the periphery of the chasing pack for play offs. I’ve seen an improvement in how we play in the last three games in six days but clearly there’s a lot more work that needs to be done. If we play with as much possession as we did last night but can fashion more opportunities then I’m confident we can score. Issue is our defence (and keeper) is so fragile that we’re constantly at risk of conceding. 

No excuses. Let’s go get the win and get our season under way. 31 games left. Lots to play for. 

Can't wait for this. Anyone know how the tickets are selling? 

45 minutes ago, hippo said:

loose and we start to move into 'crisis' territory

:crylaugh::crylaugh::crylaugh:

7 hours ago, John said:

After our first 15 games of this season we have 18 points. After the first 16 games of last season Fulham had 19 points and they would have finished the season second had they won at rather than slipped to an embarrassing last day of the season at Small Heath.

If we win this game we will have 2 more points than they did at that stage of the season, draw and we will have the same. Automatic promotion is not therefore quite beyond us yet assuming that we can put together something like the sort of impressive run that Fulham did last season. Can we? As Ron Saunders once put it "Do you want to bet against us?" 

We beat The Trotters at Villa Park last year 1-0 and they are currently one of the few teams that are below us in the league table. They last won at Villa Park 6 years ago and we have 61 wins to their 56 in the 154 league meetings between the two clubs to date. We are both founder members of the Football League and did the double over them in that first (1888-89) season, winning 6-2 at home.

Having won the first and last league meetings between the two teams we really need to win this next one. Do it Villa and make it the start of a late run for the top six or even the top two!      

Genuinely love your optimism but Fulhams run from November last year was outrageous and I don't think the team has developed enough to go on such a run yet. 

However, there was really only one automatic place up for grabs last season considering wolves dominance so the openness at the top this season is in our favour. Playoffs are a realistic aim this season but you never know. 

• Like 2

I think this will be the start of a run. Smith now has two full weeks with the squad with just two games, then an international break to get some more sorted. Despite us losing two games it could in fact benefit us as Smith will have seen a lot of our weaknesses that he can now work to resolve. 

Again this weekends results proved how weak the league is this season and despite being near the bottom we are still not many points of pulling ourselves back in. Another triple header after the international break could see us back into the playoffs ready for the Christmas run in.

Personally would go with this on Friday in front of a packed out Villa Park, really take the game to Bolton.

Nyland

Bree  Tuanzebe  Chester  Taylor

McGinn     Hourihane

Bolasie        Grealish        Adomah/El Ghazi

Abraham

Bunn, Hutton, Elmo, Lansbury, O'Hare, Kodjia, Hogan

Gah!  I hate Friday night games ?  a loss ruins your weekend before it's even begun!

That said I think this week might be one where we turn a tiny corner and see some of this new style of play come to fruition.

I imagine that the players felt a little hard done to last week, so hopefully they come out with a point to prove this game.

23 hours ago, av1 said:

Massively confident going into this, i think we will beat this lot by 3 clear goals. 

Was going to say I'm starting to feel quietly confident about this one :)

Be great to see us just smash someone at VP again. Been a while. Might be a bit soon, but given the improvement in a week that had 3 games in, Smith now has more time to prepare this one. Pretty sure we'll see the results on Fri.

It’s about time Bree was given a run. He’s not going to improve on the bench and he won’t be worse than Hutton. He’s also more likely to fit in with Smith’s system with attacking full backs. I think this could be the start of a bit of a purple patch, but we need to start being more clinical with the chances we create.

• Like 2

I think we have seen steady improvement in our passing and playing pattern, we have created loads of half chances and quite many clear cut chances, but haven't had luck on our side. I think Friday will be the game where all falls in it's place and we will blow Bolton away, both in terms of play and goals. I'm going for 4-0!

23 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

I think we have seen steady improvement in our passing and playing pattern, we have created loads of half chances and quite many clear cut chances, but haven't had luck on our side. I think Friday will be the game where all falls in it's place and we will blow Bolton away, both in terms of play and goals. I'm going for 4-0!

4-0....who to is the question??? :P:P:P