Ratings and Reactions: QPR v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

97 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 29/10/18 at 23:59

4 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

We've got some of the best individuals in the league.

It's like having Porsche 911 Turbo wheels on Dr Tony's Ford Mondeo.

?

I know what you are saying, but names don't always do it in this league.....Stoke too have illustrated that....and Blues too have displayed a pragmatic approach, with players we couldn't get a tune out of.

We just have too many freeloaders.

I am hoping Dean brings in players of substance, that will be effective in this league.....and Centre halves bigger than 5'11.

10 hours ago, srsmithusa said:

The fact that you, like I, can see improvement in what can’t be more than 5 or 6 practices on the pitch makes me wonder how you can be neutral.  I see it too, I’m encouraged.  I don’t think we know how long it will take because we don’t yet know which players can/will adapt enough to an actual system. 

I agree - I meant that I was ‘neutral’ in regard to being neither pro nor anti Smiths appointment. I like his philosophy, but have concerns about the huge step in complexity and expectation he has taken on

It might be better to say that I’m ‘open’ to seeing how he gets on. I had similar feelings about Lambert and Garde, but sadly they didn’t deliver the goods (not helped by the owner).  I was firmly in the ‘not impressed’ category for the appointments of  RDM, Bruce and worst of the worst Sherwood. The last time I was excited by an appointment was MON

What I’ve seen so far I like - I like his attitude, his back room team and the reaction from the players - I’m ready to be impressed. Norwich and QPR were two tough away games to start off - we need a couple of wins to take us through to the window and then we can see what Smith has to offer

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

First Villa game I have seen for a long time and having read many comments on here, thought they were going to be dreadful with backs to the wall stuff. 

However in general I thought in many areas they played well and were unlucky not to score and get at least a point from the game. Defense is poor but hopefully John Terry will have an influence in this area. He must have felt like topping himself when he saw the manner of the QPR goal!  A simple ball over the top to split the defense with the centre halves static and nobody tracking the run.......hopefully Terry will organise this. Whether players had stopped for a moment when they saw the McGinn foul just before the ref played advantage but that's still no excuse. 

Full backs , I thought were poor especially on the left (Taylor?) who was fortunate not to give away a penalty. Hutton did his normal of getting forward but defensively not so hot. His and some of the other players crossing when in great positions was very poor, especially from the right.

Grealish played well and was influential both towards the back and trying to get the team forward. McGinn, was his usual robust self but I felt he was a little off the pace at times. I see you have him taking all the corners from the right but rather like when he was with us many are too "floaty" and its hard for attackers to generate much power on them towards goal. Up here he got relieved of this task much of the time and when a guy called James Keatings was with us, he took them and the corners improved with much more pace and better height for forwards to attack. However I did see you top the goal scoring in the Championship from set pieces, which he takes a fair few, so cannot be all bad. ?

For me Grealish was MoM.

Edited by newhavenhibby
  • Like 3

So far we have played all the bottom 6 teams and sit just above them . We have to play Leeds, Boro , Derby , WBA and the Blues still . We had better start to turn things around pretty quick. 

2 hours ago, TRO said:

but there has been many posts on here saying we have amongst the best squad in the league......which is it?

To quote the late Eric, `All the right notes - not necessarily in the right order'. :D

Edited by AntrimBlack
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

we have to play some good attacking teams Derby Leeds,Albion,Boro,Forest,----before the transfer window opens,and with our leaky defence continuing to gift goals away--i,m concerned that unless there is a big big improvement we may find ourselves taking in more significant losses! Brucey must take the primary blame for this leaving us with so few defenders, 

-------over to you J,T. and good luck,------maybe James Collins would be worth a punt----where did Christopher Samba go to?

15 hours ago, striker said:

New manager needs time to implement his ideas plus sign the players who can bring those ideas to fruition.

It's therefore ridiculous to criticize the new manager at the moment.

i think that is a myth.....I don't think anyone is.

its just some of us are commenting on the game others don't like.

6 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

The defence is a shambles no question but you have teams like Rotherham that can keep clean sheets yet we fail miserably.

We have zero options to drop a cb like chester when playing poorly so we have to make do until January and the season will be over by then. Just too far away and we have such a tough December 

but Chester is up there, amongst the best players we have, according to many fans....whats happened?

44 minutes ago, TRO said:

but Chester is up there, amongst the best players we have, according to many fans....whats happened?

I do wonder if the defensive system we had under Bruce covered up his deficiencies, and also the personnel (Terry/Jedinak etc, covering for his lack of height/strength etc).

as soon as we start playing a more open style, he looks really exposed and scared of the ball.

13 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

I do wonder if the defensive system we had under Bruce covered up his deficiencies, and also the personnel (Terry/Jedinak etc, covering for his lack of height/strength etc).

as soon as we start playing a more open style, he looks really exposed and scared of the ball.

I am pretty sure you make a good point.....The protection of Jedinak has been dispensed with, maybe temporarily, who knows,but i do think you are barking up the right tree.

Have been particularly concerned in the past when I think players have been chaperoned to keep their place.

Edited by TRO

28 minutes ago, TRO said:

I am pretty sure you make a good point.....The protection of Jedinak has been dispensed with, maybe temporarily, who knows,but i do think you are barking up the right tree.

Have been particularly concerned in the past when I think players have been chaperoned to keep their place.

in hindsight i also think he was protected/less exposed with Terry, his prowess in the air, strength, and reading of the game, i wonder if Chester was partly carried by both having Terry next to him, and then Jedinak in front, with a much more defensive team and deeper rear guard.

Tuanzebe has been good i think, but i also think Tuanzebe leaves chester a bit exposed when he makes those forward runs, meaning all chester has to rely on is ~Taylor~ and ~Hutton~.....

Long term, i honestly dont see Chester fitting a DS system, he cant pass, i saw one moment in the QPR game where a villa players was deep in our half by the corner flag (left side), being closed down by one or two QPR players, and the player (Taylor?), passed to him, and rather than turn and look around, Chester IMMEDIATELY just passed it right back to him and put him in a really uncomfortable position, it was like chester thought the ball was a bomb.

Something i have also noticed with Taylor, Hutton and Chester, is they telegraph their pass, for example a semi skillful player can make a pass without it being obvious who or where they are going to pass (more subtle), where as our back line seems to entirely telegraph the pass meaning its easier to close down or for the other team to close down in that direction, what i mean by this is Hutton, Taylor and Chester literally angle their entire body towards the player they intend to pass to, then take a sweeping draw back of their leg for the "perfect straight pass" like you might teach a 9 year old, and i saw numerous times the players closing them down just ran in the direction they could obviously see they were going to pass.

We certainly need players more capable on the ball in defence, its difficult to play around and out of defence when those players are telegraphing every pass.

I also heard Chester nearly scored an amazing OG??, didnt see it though as i went to the toilet.....

The other thing i noticed is players dont come short a lot in the defensive areas (and sometimes even further up the pitch), and it makes the passes even more difficult to not telegraph and much easier to close down/cut out, if you saw Norwich they had at least 3 players close to each other for the passing interchanges, and sometimes up to 5, you can see with AV players that they want to pass, but still kind of act like they are waiting for a punt at times (ie: spreading out away from the ball or instinctively positioning themselves to chase a ball), rather than create triangles and pockets/overloads.

Im not worried right now though, as its an entirely new system and it will take time to a) bed in with the current squad, and b) buy some players better suited to the system, my only real concern is we dont give DS enough time to implement all the changes fully, last thing we need is more short termism, the short termism is why we are where we are today.

Hopefully that makes some sense ? , not saying im right, just my opinion and observations.

Edited by MaVilla

55 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

in hindsight i also think he was protected/less exposed with Terry, his prowess in the air, strength, and reading of the game, i wonder if Chester was partly carried by both having Terry next to him, and then Jedinak in front, with a much more defensive team and deeper rear guard.

Tuanzebe has been good i think, but i also think Tuanzebe leaves chester a bit exposed when he makes those forward runs, meaning all chester has to rely on is ~Taylor~ and ~Hutton~.....

Long term, i honestly dont see Chester fitting a DS system, he cant pass, i saw one moment in the QPR game where a villa players was deep in our half by the corner flag (left side), being closed down by one or two QPR players, and the player (Taylor?), passed to him, and rather than turn and look around, Chester IMMEDIATELY just passed it right back to him and put him in a really uncomfortable position, it was like chester thought the ball was a bomb.

Something i have also noticed with Taylor, Hutton and Chester, is they telegraph their pass, for example a semi skillful player can make a pass without it being obvious who or where they are going to pass (more subtle), where as our back line seems to entirely telegraph the pass meaning its easier to close down or for the other team to close down in that direction, what i mean by this is Hutton, Taylor and Chester literally angle their entire body towards the player they intend to pass to, then take a sweeping draw back of their leg for the "perfect straight pass" like you might teach a 9 year old, and i saw numerous times the players closing them down just ran in the direction they could obviously see they were going to pass.

We certainly need players more capable on the ball in defence, its difficult to play around and out of defence when those players are telegraphing every pass.

I also heard Chester nearly scored an amazing OG??, didnt see it though as i went to the toilet.....

The other thing i noticed is players dont come short a lot in the defensive areas (and sometimes even further up the pitch), and it makes the passes even more difficult to not telegraph and much easier to close down/cut out, if you saw Norwich they had at least 3 players close to each other for the passing interchanges, and sometimes up to 5, you can see with AV players that they want to pass, but still kind of act like they are waiting for a punt at times (ie: spreading out away from the ball or instinctively positioning themselves to chase a ball), rather than create triangles and pockets/overloads.

Im not worried right now though, as its an entirely new system and it will take time to a) bed in with the current squad, and b) buy some players better suited to the system, my only real concern is we dont give DS enough time to implement all the changes fully, last thing we need is more short termism, the short termism is why we are where we are today.

Hopefully that makes some sense ? , not saying im right, just my opinion and observations.

you don't have to be right....its your opinion and that's what this forum is for.

FWiW.....I get what you are saying....and remember seeing stuff you mention.

He will be given time.....I think everyone and his grandmother, realise this is not a quick fix.

For now, i am comfortable enough with DS as we can see clear improvements.

I truely thought we were the better side against QPR and had we been more clinical may have scored 3 or 4.

If we can stay afloat until jan, and bring in a few players, we could see a strong run in for the end of the season.

Edited by flashingqwerty
Typo
  • Like 1

On 27/10/2018 at 14:42, TRO said:

i think that is a myth.....I don't think anyone is.

its just some of us are commenting on the game others don't like.

On 26/10/2018 at 21:43, westholmevillan said:

Smith....out of is depth. We went for the cheap option and got DS....way, way out of his deoth!

Not really a myth.

1 hour ago, striker said:

Not really a myth.

Ok.....That is not my thoughts at all.....my comments where completely different or indeed should have been, depends how they get construed.

Â