• Grealish
    • Abraham
    • El Ghazi (Adomah 60)
    • Hogan (Abraham 54)
    • Kodjia (Hourihane 81)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 26/10/18 at 18:45

Marathon not a sprint. He has to instil his style of play, that will take time, especially when some of the players don't suit it. We are 4 players short. 2 full backs 1 centre back and a winger. For those saying we were terrible, I disagree, we are a team in transition Norwich were better, but not massively. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, westholmevillan said:

No, it's NOT too soon to see what everyone else on here can see.....and he gets paid very well for it! Basic schoolboy errors.  An experienced manager can change tactics during a game. I, and numerous others on here slated Bruce for not being able to do that (quite rightly) so it's the same for Smith.  

Mate, you're not including the human element here. We can all watch the TV and after a mistake come up with the solution.....after I pissed myself when drunk, it wasn't till after the event that I thought of what I should've done.

Smith is no doubt very aware of his teams current capabilities. I put a lot of tomnights gaff down to fitness, a fitter team could've started the second half with the same high press and not risked leaving cracking great holes.

This current trend in being so quick to slate doesnt come across as passionate footy fans, it comes across as  toy throwing due to a lack of instant gratification and somehwat naive. Cool your boots man!

• Like 1

If you took the best bits of Nyland, Moriera, Bunn and Steer and rolled them into one keeper, we might just have...

... still got the worst f***ing keeper in the league by a county mile ???

Nyland is a shot stopper and that's it, he hasn't got any other goalkeeping attributes! But then which of the other clowns can we replace him with??!! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stratvillan said:

Marathon not a sprint. He has to instil his style of play, that will take time, especially when some of the players don't suit it. We are 4 players short. 2 full backs 1 centre back and a winger. For those saying we were terrible, I disagree, we are a team in transition Norwich were better, but not massively. 

This ^ 

• Thanks 1

You cant hope to compete when at least half your team play so badly. 

At least those asking why El Ghasi wasn't playing now have an answer.

Just hope Adoma, and Abraham, are ok for Friday as we need these in the short term

For those saying Jack played well there is a difference between being on the ball loads and actually doing anything with it.  I genuinely felt for him tonight as you could see he wanted it so much but nothing came off. He worked well on Saturday mixing up his play, tonight was a return to his Bruce days of holding onto the ball for far too long.  Not really his fault as too many were leaving it completely up to him  again, but it definitely wasnt his night.

However tonight was Tuanzebes night, only player to come out with any credit! 

Norwich pressed us hard all night and he was the only one who seemed to thrive off the pressure. Its great to have a bit of pace back in the centre of defence too!

26 minutes ago, terrytini said:

If that’s what you mean we all noticed, how do you know Smith didn’t ? You said “ we all noticed why didn’t he “ ?

Why the hell didn't he do something to rectify it then? If he did and still done nothing ....which he didn't it makes it even worse!

• Haha 2

We lost a scrappy game after conceding two soft goals against the form team in the championship . Lost two players to injury in the second half which didn't help. 

I don't think many conclusions can be drawn from tonight unless of course you'd thought Dean Smith was going to turn us into world beaters overnight, he won't is the only conclusion I suppose. 

Norwich pass better than us and are far fitter. We didn't play particularly intelligently against the high press and the two early subs didn't help us. Not many chances in the game, perhaps slightly unlucky to lose as neither team really deserved 3 points..

36 minutes ago, westholmevillan said:

I, and many others would have slated Bruce for picking Whelan.  So Smith can't be excluded from criticism! Went one up and then sat deeper and deeper!  Does that sound familiar?

No, no.

Steve Bruce = Bad

Dean Smith = Good

So if Steve Bruce selects Whelan that is BAD

If Dean Smith selects Whelan that is GOOD

?

• Haha 1

2 wins in 12. 1 away win all season. A lot of work to do.  We had a easy start to the season and did not progress. Next 6 weeks is going to be tough. Blues on form as well in time for the derby.

We just need to stay within touching distance and hopefully improve the second half of the season. My only fear is that it could be  a write off by then.

Just disappointing, controlled the game initially and then let it slip.  I'm not even angry because even when we score I feel we are bound to let it slip..........never ending cycle of being a Villa fan. 

Hope I have now lies with Dean and what him and his team can do......

The obvious lack of fitness compared to Norwich was a real worry. WTF was Bruce and his team doing on the training pitch? It was echos of the MON era.

Player fitness is always the new manager scapegoat.   But pressuring the ball takes more energy.   Passing requires more movement.  It’s not a coincidence that we have faded in both matches so far.  

As we continue to play and practice this style, fitness and concentration will increase and performances will follow.  If some players can make that step forward remains to be seen.  But only 2 or 3 seem guaranteed able.  Abraham, tuanzebe, kodjia.   Grealish, el ghazi, Adomah, are all possible.   After that, I have doubts.  But I hope they all make the step and thrive.  

3 hours ago, westholmevillan said:

I, and many others would have slated Bruce for picking Whelan.  So Smith can't be excluded from criticism! Went one up and then sat deeper and deeper!  Does that sound familiar?

Whelan was excellent. Barely a misplaced pass and brilliant ball that drew Grealish foul on edge of the box. I swear people decide Whelan is rubbish and don't even watch what he does in the game

• Like 2

Well I'm sure our new management team knew the size of the job they had before last night. If they were in any doubt this game along with a league table that shows us behind Small Heath puts it into perspective. It's not going to be an overnight fix but it is a job which can be done. We now have to try to stay in contact with the top six up until the New Year when we can send for reinforcements.

Nyland went back to square one last night. He still has a vampire like reaction to crosses and I wonder if Moriera might now be worth a look. McGinn has become indispensable to us so quickly. Last night's game turned on a goalkeeping error and on Abraham's effort striking the post rather than going in off it. We go again...

Â