• Grealish
    • Abraham
    • El Ghazi (Adomah 60)
    • Hogan (Abraham 54)
    • Kodjia (Hourihane 81)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 26/10/18 at 18:45

Tuanzebe was excellent.

Hourihane was busy and passed it around well, that's about it for the positives.

Negatives, Taylor, Nyland, Hogan, El-Ghazi,  Hutton and Grealish were dreadful.

Hogan and El-Ghazi get a pass as they haven't played much at all this season, but the other 3 have no excuses, Hutton and Taylor will not fit into Dean Smith's style of play as Hutton can't pass and Taylor has to take a touch every time the ball comes near him.

As for Grealish, thanks for trying in the last 10 minutes but my word you are quickly becoming a liability, doesn't score, doesn't create, slows the play down way too much when he has the ball.

I would drop him on Friday and go with McGinn and Hourihane in the middle.

I can already see what Dean Smith is trying to do with this team. I can't wait till he can get some of his own players in

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Let’s not play down how good norwich were. Didn’t give us a breather all game. 

Yeah, they were good, they're a lot further on down the road in their project, we've only just started ours....

2 minutes ago, villa89 said:

What game were you watching? We got dominated in the second half and when they went ahead they took their foot off the gas because we offered so little. Norwich were full value for the win. 

I thought they were better during that 20 min spell between their goals, of which one was an error. Over the whole game I thought we were better, hitting the post and having more half chances. Last 10 we pressed and showed urgency and with some luck could have scored.

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

Well, we are what we are - it's a squad with strengths and weaknesses. At the back we're going to be inconsistent, and the keeper is a real worry, but this is all there is to work with and it won't change until January at the earliest. For all the glamour of Bolasie and El Ghazi coming in during the summer, we're weak in wide areas and there is a noticeable drop off in quality when Abraham isn't on the field up front.

That said, there are still lots of good things about this squad - with McGinn back we're stronger and whilst they'll each have their critics, both Hourihane and Grealish are strengths at this level. There were some signs of a pattern in the first half and in the end, I think a game against a good side away from home only turned on a couple of quick injuries that unsettled us and let Norwich find an equaliser and a load of confidence.

We're a long way off the finished article, but we're not far off being competitive in my opinion.

I wish I could share your optimism, I think we are miles away.

Granted, Norwich and a sorted unit and playing well so away from home a draw would have been a result. What concerns me is our movement and distribution in possession is poor. Hopefully as this is a trade mark of Smith it will be drilled into them, but we look short up front and defensively and that will cost us. Our goal difference tells the story.

12 hours ago, VillanousOne said:

that's because in the second half we stopped trying to even put any tackles in.

It was bizarre. Nobody willing to put a foot in and at least try to stop the flow. A real lack of leaders in that team. 

Too many players lacking composure on the ball, too many poor decisions, too many players lacking that little bit of energy. 

Just shows that Smith has a lot of work to do before he gets us where he wants us to be, a lot of hours down at BMH to drill the required intensity, the right approach to passing and moving and the right decision making. 

We obviously have a goal keeping issue that needs sorting. Nyland played well apart from his howler, but he seems to make one of those every game. We can’t have that. 

El-Ghazi looked off the pace, Hogan didn’t even look like a footballer. 

It’s a setback, but it’s no disaster. We’ll get better, I’m sure. Norwich were excellent, too, probably the best we’ve faced all season. We missed McGinn’s energy and the difference between a Tammy Abraham and Scott Hogan up front today probably equates to about three points worth.

Edited by Michelsen
  • Like 3

Both games we’ve had a good hour then stopped ( or been stopped) from playing.

Early days or not Smith needs to have a better Plan B.

Two superb long passing sequences of over 15 passes resulted in Tammy hitting the post, and Hourihane shooting wide. Great to see.

But we clearly need something else in the locker tactically.

Norwich on a roll, Manager has had time, no disgrace in losing.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Paul33 said:

Nyland cost us the first, Chester the second, both were poor all game as were both full backs and Hourihane was usual League Two standard but I expect that now !

Positives, Tuanzebe was superb as was Whelan and we pressed well early doors but as Smith is learning, our players are used to 90 minutes of walking Bruceball. Once we start running then we run out of gas because the players are not fit enough to play that sort of game.

No disgrace losing to Norwich and a win at QPR gives us a decent 6 from 9 return but the players need to get fitter for certain !

If they'd not panicked quite so much chasing the game and knocked it about to take the sting out of it then they wouldn't have been so badly out of steam the last 10-15 minutes. 

That was dreadful.

Cross, cross, cross, cross, cross, cross.  

Soft as shit in midfield.

The **** state of this squad... Taylor and Hutton our full backs, Whelan... 

A five year old on football manager could assemble a better first XI

Edited by MrSmirch

7 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Grealish MOTM by a country mile!

Not for me. Trying hard enough but slows play whenever he’s on the ball. Seems to think a free kick is a good outcome 

We’ve got a squad that is less than the sum of its parts. Adomah and Elmo are not good enough but being played because El Ghazi and Bolasie can’t/won’t defend. Full backs trying but not athletic enough. Hogan and Kodija expensive subs. 

Lots of work needed in the transfer market - without it I will be amazed if Smith can get a tune out of this lot

Bruces legacy is a wildly unbalanced squad 

• Like 1

Some of them looked knackered after 20 minutes, if we’re gonna play this style of football then the fitness levels need to go up. Hutton is a liability going forward then not having the legs to get back, Taylor is just as bad as ever and Adomah I think is gone forever. The rest of them I think will be fine given time, he’s trying to implement something that’s vastly different to the shit they were playing under Bruce.

12 hours ago, thunderball said:

I wish I could share your optimism, I think we are miles away.

I think we'll be in the playoffs by the end of the season. We are still better than most teams in this league. That Norwich side can play some good football, they'll be a handful for anyone at their place. 

10 minutes ago, dounavilla said:

Gone under the radar somewhat but Chester has been horrendous this season so far and I fear the captaincy is weighing him down.

Works best when next to a real leader (Terry)

He doesn't look comfortable playing as the left sided centre back. January can't come quick enough so we can get some balance at the back

Oh, and the ref was a bit of a d**k. Allowed play to continue when Abraham was down with a head injury, giving them the corner for the equalizer, and generally gave them everything they asked for and very little to us in terms of 50/50s.

• Like 2

Just now, Bunnski said:

He doesn't look comfortable playing as the left sided centre back. January can't come quick enough so we can get some balance at the back

Is Collins left footed ? 

Â