January transfer (we need a whole new team) window 2019

sne

https://www.footballinsider247.com/exclusive-aston-villa-set-sights-on-sheffield-wednesday-player-as-talks-begin/

Aston Villa and Premier League duo Bournemouth and Brighton are tracking Sheffield Wednesday defender Matt Penney, Football Insider sources understands.

The Midlands giants have set their sights on the rising star after he impressed officials from the club in Wednesday’s 2-1 win over the Midlands giants at Villa Park last month.

Penney has been a revelation for Wednesday since making his debut earlier this season and he has established himself in Jos Luhukay’s starting XI in the last few months.

The 20-year-old, who has played at left-back, left-wing and as part of a three-man attack during his 10 appearances to date, is highly-regarded at Hillsborough and his performances have not gone unnoticed among other clubs.

Wednesday are keen to resolve Penney’s future as soon as possible aware of the growing interest in the player from Premier League and Championship clubs.

9 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

I think top priority for Smith will be a LB, CB and a left footed RW judging by how he wants to play.

If we can cancel Bolasie's loan I imagine we will do. Laughable waste of money.

Bolasie will come good, just give him a bit of time, he’s only just returned from long term injury, be lenient with him, he’s a Premier League quality in my opinion 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Why don’t people seem to like Bolasie...he has barely played and scored two goals for us, thought he was doing well....?

He just looks way off the pace. Seems to have a long way to go before he starts looking the player that we are reportedly paying big money for. 

2 hours ago, Tommo_b said:

Why don’t people seem to like Bolasie...he has barely played and scored two goals for us, thought he was doing well....?

I think he just isnt fully match fit yet, once he is I think he’ll be a huge asset. 

If I’m wrong then I’m wrong, but I can’t knock the previous management as I was all for signing him. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

So does anyone know how loan deals work?  Is there a possibility to recall players like Steer, Elphick, Clark etc or does it all depend on what was originally agreed?

It looks like there is a recall option in Clark's deal at least.

MItch Clark

5 hours ago, Tommo_b said:

I don't dislike him at all.

It's just that he's (allegedly) earning £70k/w sitting on our bench.

we knew he'd come back from injury when we signed him so no shade on him, but I'm not a huge fan of us once again paying money to help other clubs players recover from injury.

Hopefully he'll come good and the money will have been well spent.

5 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

So does anyone know how loan deals work?  Is there a possibility to recall players like Steer, Elphick, Clark etc or does it all depend on what was originally agreed?

From what I know, if we are loaning a player ( such as Bolasie, Jenas,  Grabban etc) we pay all of their contract, and a healthy loan fee and we keep them.

From what I know, if we are loaning out a player, we pay all of their contract, and their new club send them back when they fail.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Apparently ex Rangers CB David Bates is having a great start to the season at Hamburg in 2 Bundesliga.

Papers claiming Dortmund and Bayern are looking at him but surely Villa would be a more attractive option :D

U21 player for Scotland and 6 ft 4, might be an option if that other Scot McKenna is too expensive? He signed for Hamburg on a free this summer.

Anyone seen him play?

2 hours ago, sne said:

I don't dislike him at all.

It's just that he's (allegedly) earning £70k/w sitting on our bench.

we knew he'd come back from injury when we signed him so no shade on him, but I'm not a huge fan of us once again paying money to help other clubs players recover from injury.

Hopefully he'll come good and the money will have been well spent.

I understand where you are coming from, but it's not just paying money to help another club nurse their player. Once he's up to real match fitness then we have a player who is a class above this level and could be a big difference in helping us go up. That investment in him could look miniscule, in comparison to the financial benefits of promotion.

It is a gamble expecting him to be the beast he was but so far, he's played 127 mins and scored 2, that's better than a goal a game ratio. He got us a point against PNE which could end up being valuable come the end of the season and he cemented the 3 points against Rotherham with his goal. I think he'll start tomorrow for some much needed game time and then maybe off the bench again Friday before we see him start to feature more prominently. We're doing Everton somewhat of a favour but we're also doing ourselves a favour if he comes through. 

1 minute ago, Wezbid said:

I understand where you are coming from, but it's not just paying money to help another club nurse their player. Once he's up to real match fitness then we have a player who is a class above this level and could be a big difference in helping us go up. That investment in him could look miniscule, in comparison to the financial benefits of promotion.

It is a gamble expecting him to be the beast he was but so far, he's played 127 mins and scored 2, that's better than a goal a game ratio. He got us a point against PNE which could end up being valuable come the end of the season and he cemented the 3 points against Rotherham with his goal. I think he'll start tomorrow for some much needed game time and then maybe off the bench again Friday before we see him start to feature more prominently. We're doing Everton somewhat of a favour but we're also doing ourselves a favour if he comes through. 

Agree.

The worry being his ability to come back from such a bad injury at his age and what level he can perform at even at his best now.

The number of players who rely on pace who have found it difficult after a bad knee injury is countless.

But as you say IF we get promoted any money we'll have spent on him wont matter.

• Like 1

I've no idea what our strategy towards recruitment will be under Jesus and the new leadership, but if we are looking at bringing in promising players for the future they might want to scout Mellbergs old club Brommapojkarna and have a look at 16 y.o attacker / wide forward Jack Lahne. (Turns 17 tomorrow)

Made his debut last season at 15 y.o and has 3 goals in 2 starts and 12 sub appearances this season in the top tier Allsvenskan.

Watched him again yesterday when he started against IFK Göteborg and even thou he didn't have a stellar game (like all of BP) you could see there is a real talent there and he is crazy fast.

BP will not be able to keep hold of him in January and at £1-1.5 m no Swedish club will be able to afford him.

Lots of clubs scouting him atm, hope we also are.

On 22/10/2018 at 08:30, Vive_La_Villa said:

He just looks way off the pace. Seems to have a long way to go before he starts looking the player that we are reportedly paying big money for. 

If he was in form, why would be come to us? Wouldn't he then be playing in the top division? 

I actually don't like spending obscene wages on loanees,  but it is what it is.