January transfer (we need a whole new team) window 2019

sne

2 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

Not sure if it's the one you're looking for, but the above was one that stood out as mental to me. Team A is essentially our team that went down. Team B has a bunch of players who've survived in the PL.

That's the one. Thanks 😆

1 hour ago, pas5898 said:

There's a reason why Bolasie is playing for us in the championship, and not a premier league team. He's inconsistent. A good player, but inconsistent.

Teams, such as Stoke, Swansea and Preston doubled up on our wide men leaving space in the middle; the difference in the last few games is there's no Grealish to take the ball 20-30 yards and occupy 2 players. When Grealish plays a free(ish) midfield role, he occupies 2 players leaving space for the wingers. It's no coincidence that Bolasie is struggling now his space is being swallowed up.

If you think back to the Derby and Boro games, there was often a switch of play to Bolasie or Kodjia leaving them 1 on 1 with a full back. We could pull teams from side to side with Grealish often occupying 2 in midfield. If Grealish was left with space he is good enough to carry to ball 20-30 yards, pulling the midfielders over to him creating space for the wingers. 

Apart from the obvious defensive issues, its vital for our attack we buy a midfielder who can carry the ball 20-30 yards. 

I much preferred snodgrass to bolaise. Snodds woukd have thrived in this team under smith 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, villaglint said:

All the speculation seems to have been about midfielders. Not heard anything about LBs and CBs. Seems strange but I guess there are things going on that haven’t leaked out yet. 

Yes, this worries me. I am desperately hoping to hear about new defenders. 

6 minutes ago, villaglint said:

All the speculation seems to have been about midfielders. Not heard anything about LBs and CBs. Seems strange but I guess there are things going on that haven’t leaked out yet. 

I posted this in the Elphick thread as it related to him, but based on his interview I really don't get the impression we will sign another CB. 

I can see 2 more signings, a LB and a midfielder. 

Just to clarify my post above (And to save me typing it out again), this was my post in the Elphick thread. 

15 hours ago, av1 said:

It may not turn out to be the case but he mentioned quite a few times that he was happy he isn't returning as a stop gap, how the manager could sign another center back if he wanted with the backing of the owners but instead wanted him back. 

I really got the impression from that interview that Smith had told him he is going to be first choice. 

I also found it strange that he constantly talked about making his mind up quickly after talking to Smith, almost like he was signing for a new club and had a choice in the matter rather than simply being recalled. 

2 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Has the kalinic transfer been officially announced by AV?, just wondering if it hasn't maybe they will announce a few transfers tomorrow?

Yes.

I'd imagine with Axel out for a couple of months and Chester needing either an operation on his knee then a few weeks recovery or just needing a few weeks rest then Elphick will become first choice alongside a new centre back.

I'd be very surprised if we don't sign a centre back and left back in this window.

• Like 3

I think Smith has said all targets were identified already and stuff is happening but nothing seems to leak out till it's pretty much a done deal. I think Elphick is clearly not being dragged back off loan to make up the numbers but I doubt he is the only defensive signing being made, or at least I hope not.

17 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I'd imagine with Axel out for a couple of months and Chester needing either an operation on his knee then a few weeks recovery or just needing a few weeks rest then Elphick will become first choice alongside a new centre back.

I'd be very surprised if we don't sign a centre back and left back in this window.

Centre halves would have been signed regardless of the injury situation.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I'm absolutely certain we are looking/trying to do so, the need to do so certainly remains even with Elphick's return.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I'm absolutely certain we are looking/trying to do so, the need to do so certainly remains even with Elphick's return.

The only thing is we have maximised our loans no? Might Send moreria back but only allowed 5 at time. I guess with axel out for a couple months thats frees up a loan for match day squad.

But form what I gather from what smith was saying he doesnt want loans as he sees them as pointless and prefer developing our own.

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

The only thing is we have maximised our loans no? Might Send moreria back but only allowed 5 at time. I guess with axel out for a couple months thats frees up a loan for match day squad.

But form what I gather from what smith was saying he doesnt want loans as he sees them as pointless and prefer developing our own.

No we haven’t. 

Championship clubs can have 8 loan players but are limited to only 5 in any match day squad. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't understand the whole "work permit" issue with regards to football players.

The "Needs international caps" thingy or whatever.

Surely every foreign player won't have caps?

How do you sign young and/or promising foreign players? (Or is this what it is meant to prevent against? Influx or foreigners taking opportunity from young brit footballers?)

Either way I don't understand why professional football players have work permit problems.

As has been said is happening with Rodoja, and in the past with Kalinic.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

Bit apprehensive about the Cheick Doukouré link.

Guys out with an calf injury with unknown return date (might be tomorrow for all I know) and he's never really shone or played that many games in a season at any club (according to Whoscored)

Looks like he's pretty strong and mobile, but that's about it.

Then again we are playing in the Championship so that might be enough.