January transfer (we need a whole new team) window 2019

sne

I can see why Smith would want a midfielder, I'd imagine he will line up something like this (based on his Brentford tactics at least):

Abraham

El Ghazi/Kodjia        Grealish                   Bolasie

McGinn                     Hourihane

Not sure Hourihane would play well in that role and I can imagine Jedinak and Whelan would be getting shipped out as they're too old, on too much money and it's doubtful they'd be able to do what Smith would want anyway, Jedinak cannot play with the ball and doesn't have the legs, Whelan similarly doesn't have the legs to play high pressing football week in week out.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I can see why Smith would want a midfielder, I'd imagine he will line up Jedinak cannot play with the ball and doesn't have the legs, Whelan similarly doesn't have the legs to play high pressing football week in week out.

can one play week in and the other week out?

dont see how we're going to shift either of them on to tbh.

1 minute ago, Mr.Messy said:

can one play week in and the other week out?

dont see how we're going to shift either of them on to tbh.

I'd rather not, both are shit and on lots of money, hopefully we can oblige them to go, but see your point, who would want them given their ridiculous wages?

• Like 3

I was wondering if he might try something like

________________Hogan________________

Kodjia_________Grealish________Abraham

____________McGinn____________________

___________________Hourihane__________

This occurred to me when someone mentioned he doesn't play wingers, that those two wide players in his system drift in and the fact that Watkins I believe is pretty much a forward and not a winger, but would be in that Kodjia position.

On thing's for sure, I doubt he would have signed either Jedinak or Whelan if given the choice.

EDIT: Lansbury may be better suited to that deep playmaker role. And we could put a winger or two somewhere in place of one or two of the forwards.

On paper it's not necessarily mindblowingly different to what we were doing but hopefully some ideas behind how we play will make the difference.

Edited by praisedmambo

16 hours ago, Villan4Life said:

Let’s be honest here you won’t get £25mil a pop for Mepham or Watkins. If you think that you are seriously then you are deluded my friend.

You sold Woods for £6mil and those three crap houses now at Birmingham for under £8mil. Colin, Jota and Dean. Jota you got 6mil for.

...Neither Watkins or Mepham will go for over £15mil so why you coming up with these silly price tags.

you might realise that the opinion you have re" fee delusions" might be exactly how outsiders view us with regards to Jack.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Whoa, the poster has never come across like that to me, unless there is something i've missed?

Also, you might realise that the opinion you have re" fee delusions" might be exactly how outsiders view us with regards to Jack.

Have amended it slightly :) but whole point is how would he know what we can or cannot afford he replied on post on this topic when anyone mentions any Brentford players with "We can't afford them cos of FFP" how would this chap know that mate? That's what riled me off as he doesn't know anything about our situation unless he reads HITC or some site like that that isn't accurate.

Our owners i believe have a plan around FFP in number of ways but this chap pops up with "We can't afford anyone" how would he know? and he keeps saying this...

Brentford are a selling club and i was pointing out that they always sell their best Players Hogan was most expensive to us all the others went for under £8mil. He is going on like Maupay, Watkins and Mepham would fetch £25mil a pop. Not happening

And lot of us on here thought Grealish has lot to learn and not worth £25mil even in summer.

Edited by Villan4Life
  • Like 1

On 11/10/2018 at 12:40, jacketspuds said:

Chris Mepham and Ollie Watkins please. ?

On 11/10/2018 at 14:23, Villan4Life said:

Mepham and Watkins deffo  Oh and Daniel Bentley (keeper) and Neal Maupay.

I rate RIco Henry but been injured far too much last two seasons so wouldn’t take risk at moment in my view.

On 11/10/2018 at 15:30, Brentfordnylons said:

You couldn’t afford them,FFP 

@JAMAICAN-VILLAN him popping up when myself and others are discussing who we would like to see on a Villa Transfer Speculation Thread.

As said previously, how would this Brentford fan know our financial situation and regards to FFP? who his his source that told him this? or is he guessing? he still hasn't answered me.

So i'll ask again. @Brentfordnylons who is your source of why couldn't we afford them? Apart from Hogan you have sold every player for under £8million. We nearly got Bryan for £6mil in August and failed with £6.5mil bid for Scott McKenna on 31st August 2018.

Money is there if we want spend it.

Edited by Villan4Life
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Brentfordnylons said:

I know you will not be in a position regarding FFP in January to purchase 

Mepham 25 million already turned down bids by Palace and Bournmouth 14 mill

Oli Watkins 25 million but we won’t sell if we are still in a promotion position 

Maupay top goal scorer in championship on long contract as the are the others 

Bently possibly as he’s now sub keeper 

Henry hasn’t played for 12 months

If you had all these £25m rated players in your team you would be higher than your current league position.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

If you had all these £25m rated players in your team you would be higher than your current league position.

Yep!! fact is none of them at Brentford are worth £25mil. 

Edited by Villan4Life
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Villan4Life said:

Let’s be honest here you won’t get £25mil a pop for Mepham or Watkins. If you think that you are seriously then you are deluded my friend.

You sold Woods for £6mil and those three crap houses now at Birmingham for under £8mil. Colin, Jota and Dean. Jota you got 6mil for.

I  know you are being unrealistic re fees. Neither Watkins or Mepham will go for over £15mil so why you coming up with these silly price tags.

As said before you nothing about Villa’s finances.

Well you tell me about them then how much do you have to spend in January?why didn’t you buy Woods for a mere 6 mill.Mepham has attracted bids of 15 mill which we have rejected fact.You say I come on here giving it large?when?I will add though we are above you in the league and can’t remember the last time you beat us please remind me

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Brentfordnylons said:

Well you tell me about them then how much do you have to spend in January?why didn’t you buy Woods for a mere 6 mill.Mepham has attracted bids of 15 mill which we have rejected fact.You say I come on here giving it large?when?I will add though we are above you in the league and can’t remember the last time you beat us please remind me

Villa not beating you in 3 seasons or so might be worthy of a place in your history books. We'll just have to slum it with our European Cup victory.

Oh well.

1 hour ago, Brentfordnylons said:

Nice. It's like being outside a pub where everyone's being a dick. Only it's on the internet on a villa message board.

• Like 3

Anyway back on topic, with Terry joining us I wonder if he could convince Gary Cahill to drop a division?   He's 32 now, but would be good for 2/3 seasons.  I suppose the other option would be to go back in for McKenna again.  Either way, we need a centre back.  I also wouldn't be against a new keeper and left back joining us in January.  

Probably been discussed, but does anyone know we can cancel any of the current loans in order to free up some space again?  Obviously, I don't mean Abraham, El G or Baller. 

27 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Anyway back on topic, with Terry joining us I wonder if he could convince Gary Cahill to drop a division?   He's 32 now, but would be good for 2/3 seasons.  I suppose the other option would be to go back in for McKenna again.  Either way, we need a centre back.  I also wouldn't be against a new keeper and left back joining us in January.  

Probably been discussed, but does anyone know we can cancel any of the current loans in order to free up some space again?  Obviously, I don't mean Abraham, El G or Baller. 

Think it's far more likely that Smith will try and find the new Cahill. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Brentfordnylons said:

We've spent majority of our time playing in the top flight, always going to be difficult to play a team that hasn't been there since the 40s. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Brentfordnylons said:

I’ve wanted us to sign Woods since our first encounter with him, the season we didn’t was the terrible manager we just got rid of. Fine player.

13 hours ago, Villan4Life said:

Have amended it slightly :) but whole point is how would he know what we can or cannot afford he replied on post on this topic when anyone mentions any Brentford players with "We can't afford them cos of FFP" how would this chap know that mate? That's what riled me off as he doesn't know anything about our situation unless he reads HITC or some site like that that isn't accurate.

Our owners i believe have a plan around FFP in number of ways but this chap pops up with "We can't afford anyone" how would he know? and he keeps saying this...

Brentford are a selling club and i was pointing out that they always sell their best Players Hogan was most expensive to us all the others went for under £8mil. He is going on like Maupay, Watkins and Mepham would fetch £25mil a pop. Not happening

And lot of us on here thought Grealish has lot to learn and not worth £25mil even in summer.

That post is woefully inconsistent. The FFP rules are clear and documented. Villas financial accounts are a matter of public record, available on the Companies house website. That much is fact. Also fact is the reduced parachute money and reduced FFP loss allowance. From these facts it is inevitable that Villa has serious, serious issues with failing to meet FFP this season and this includes being able to afford signings. This is fact. It’s not from some ropy website like HITC.

on the other hand, you have “belief” that our owners have a plan around FFP. I really hope they do, because we’re **** by it. We’re so far away from meeting the rules it’s laughable. What is your “belief” based on? Nothing more than some sort of vague notion that you hope they know what they’re doing, I’d wager, because that’s exactly my straw to clutch at. Sadly, the odds aren’t good in this area.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, blandy said:

That post is woefully inconsistent. The FFP rules are clear and documented. Villas financial accounts are a matter of public record, available on the Companies house website. That much is fact. Also fact is the reduced parachute money and reduced FFP loss allowance. From these facts it is inevitable that Villa has serious, serious issues with failing to meet FFP this season and this includes being able to afford signings. This is fact. It’s not from some ropy website like HITC.

on the other hand, you have “belief” that our owners have a plan around FFP. I really hope they do, because we’re **** by it. We’re so far away from meeting the rules it’s laughable. What is your “belief” based on? Nothing more than some sort of vague notion that you hope they know what they’re doing, I’d wager, because that’s exactly my straw to clutch at. Sadly, the odds aren’t good in this area.

Everything you say is of course correct mate, i think many people are though probably looking back to falied bids for Bryan, McKenna and the French boy late in the last window and are are thinking that if the owners felt they could spend then, there must be some sort of plan in place that will allow us to spend a couple of pennies in January.

1 minute ago, av1 said:

Everything you say is of course correct mate, i think many people are though probably looking back to falied bids for Bryan, McKenna and the French boy late in the last window and are are thinking that if the owners felt they could spend then, there must be some sort of plan in place that will allow us to spend a couple of pennies in January.

Yeah, I hope so too. I wonder if it isn’t along the lines of sell as many as we can and probably Jack, too, make a profit and try and raise other income through some deals on the commercial side. It all looks very forlorn to me, unless there’s a huge wedge coming from somewhere.

12 minutes ago, blandy said:

Yeah, I hope so too. I wonder if it isn’t along the lines of sell as many as we can and probably Jack, too, make a profit and try and raise other income through some deals on the commercial side. It all looks very forlorn to me, unless there’s a huge wedge coming from somewhere.

You're probably right, watching Brenford we can all think of quite of lads that Smith would probably like to show the door to, unfortunately due to the fact many of these guys are on very good salaries, wanting to and being able to are very different things. 

I'd worry if that is the plan because for me the only really saleable assest is Jack, and it would seem bizarre to sell him in January after only just singing an extension. Though it wouldn't be the first time, and as you say, we are governed by FFP.