January transfer (we need a whole new team) window 2019

sne

On 10/01/2019 at 13:22, av1 said:

Here

Season injury from until Days Games missed
17/18 Knee Injury Sep 30, 2017 Nov 23, 2018 419 days 57Brentford FC
16/17 Shoulder Injury Aug 15, 2016 Feb 20, 2017 189 days 60Walsall FCBrentford FC

How can a player miss more games in 189 days (Aug - Feb there definitely aren't 60 games played!) than he did in 419 days?  Something is off with those numbers. 

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Sky saying Fuchs considering a loan to us

Yes...A loan!

Just dont see the point in actually owning a player, all that building a team and consistency nonsense!

Honestly, I'm hoping that Purslow/Suso/Smith are planning on just getting us through this season to the summer before we start the massive rebuild.  I think we tried to get our first choice targets done quickly, but if the price isn't right, we aren't going to be baited into overspending this window.  If we get promoted, great!  We'll sign a higher caliber of player this summer.  If not, we'll still replace the players out of contract with better signings.  If this summer rolls around and we're still penny-pinching, I'll start to get worried.  I'm confident that this isn't the case, though.

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Sky saying Fuchs considering a loan to us

Wasn't Fuchs awsome the season they won the Premier League? I know some regarded him as one of the best LB in the league. At 32 he should still be able to do a job. I'd prefer someone for the future and not a loan, but short term it can perhaps be very good business.

Come to think of it, It does smell a bit of Ritchie De Laet over this one though. A tall lanky full back from Leicester who has already peaked and comes from a small central European country and has a funny name.

Edited by Keener window-cleaner

1 minute ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

Wasn't Fuchs awsome the season they won the Premier League? I know some regarded him as one of the best LB in the league. At 32 he should still be able to do a job. I'd prefer someone for the future and not a loan, but short term it can perhaps be very good business.

Come to think of it, It does smell a bit of Ritchie De Laet over this one though. A tall lanky full back from Leicester who has already peaked and comes from a small central European country and has a funny name.

Is he better than Hutton at Left Back?

I honestly think that Taylor hasn't been bad at LB under Smith.  He's had some solid performances already, but we've looked dreadful with Hutton filling in for him this past month.  If this loan is to just provide cover for Taylor, I'm for it.  We can sign a long term left back this summer.  

9 minutes ago, KMitch said:

I honestly think that Taylor hasn't been bad at LB under Smith.  He's had some solid performances already, but we've looked dreadful with Hutton filling in for him this past month.  If this loan is to just provide cover for Taylor, I'm for it.  We can sign a long term left back this summer.  

I agree, I think Taylor has been a solid LB. On Fuchs or Hutton, despite not having seen Fuchs that much or knowing his current form I'd take him over Hutton at LB any day of the week. 

Edited by Keener window-cleaner

16 minutes ago, Random Observer said:

How can a player miss more games in 189 days (Aug - Feb there definitely aren't 60 games played!) than he did in 419 days?  Something is off with those numbers. 

I thought the same, the number of games missed relative to days out seems incorrect. If the dates are anywhere near correct though those are 2 very long layoffs over the last few year. 

If they are correct and he only returned on the 23rd of November 2018 after 14 months out, he can't have played many games in that time and it would seem somewhat of gamble?

5 minutes ago, KMitch said:

I've not watched a single PL game since our relegation so I can't recall ever watching Fuchs play, that said I'd still be confident in declaring him a better LB than Alan Hutton 😋

Just looking at the 'out of contract 2019' thread and it rams home just how shit our transfer policy has been. We have spent an awful lot of money on what is a pretty awful squad. 

My biggest hope with Smith was this is something that would take a turn for the better, though i feel the signing of Kalinic is more of same. 

Not that I don't think the guy isn't a good keeper but £6/7m must be close to championship record for a keeper? And we don't really know how it's going to turn out. 

We need to start looking at value signings for the future