January transfer (we need a whole new team) window 2019

sne

48 minutes ago, 7392craig said:

I think that’s right. Don’t we have first option ahead of the club with these sort of deals? I’m sure I’ve heard that’s how it usually works, so long as you pay 100% of their wages during the initial loan. 

Thats a standard option to buy. From what I understand we have an option to match the bid from any other club - which doesn't seem that different to buying a player on the open market

17 minutes ago, hippo said:

Thats a standard option to buy. From what I understand we have an option to match the bid from any other club - which doesn't seem that different to buying a player on the open market

That’s not as good then, ideally we’d want first refusal if we’re taking them on loan.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TRO said:

I Look at Marco Stieperman and Christoph Zimmerman for Norwich, big guys who can play.

• Zimmerman 6'4 -Free Transfer 26 year old
  • Stiperman 6'3 - Undisclosed ...27
  • Pukki - another Free

But if Norwich can do it surely we can.....our buys are all expensive and mainly lightweights.....I just don't get our transfer policy and performance.

These teams are building championship winning teams on free transfers.....we need to wake up.

Problem is you can't really get free transfers in January.  Hopefully Suso will be scouring for quality bargains to replace the great exodus of players in the summer.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, KHV said:

Hause, Mings and Carroll are not an improvement on anything we already had.

A really underwhelming window IMO

We don't have a player like Carroll at the club who retains possession well, Mings  (for his height alone) offers something different from Chester & Elphick and Hause is a ball playing centre half - the only other one we have is a loanee who is currently injured.

It's more about the different skillset they bring rather than a like for like improvement. As they fit the system better, then it's reasonable to assume the system itself will be more effective, due to fewer square pegs in round holes. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TRO said:

I Look at Marco Stieperman and Christoph Zimmerman for Norwich, big guys who can play.

• Pukki - another Free

But if Norwich can do it surely we can.....our buys are all expensive and mainly lightweights.....I just don't get our transfer policy and performance.

These teams are building championship winning teams on free transfers.....we need to wake up.

Not bothered how tall players are.

Just if they've got the testicles to take some responsibility. We have Jacko and John atm, no one else. All scared.

2 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Not bothered how tall players are.

Just if they've got the testicles to take some responsibility. We have Jacko and John atm, no one else. All scared.

funny how most of them doing all the winning are bothered.

its not the be all and end all, but in certain roles, its a big help.....funny how Mings has helped us keep a clean one.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Linked with a 12m move for Lolley in summer as grealish replacement as club expect Jack to leave if we do t go. Up

Unless someone offers us $25 Mil (which is what James Maddison went for last summer) I have a feeling that the board will tell them to do one.  Jack has had some pretty lengthy injuries these past 2 seasons and I think that's going to be enough to put off any club from paying the kind of money we'll be wanting for him.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, TRO said:

• Pukki - another Free

For me, Buendia is the one that makes that team title contenders. 

The players you mentioned are all good but Buendia looks a different class. He gets about all over the pitch and seems to have everything for a midfielder. He is creative, athletic, can score and can tackle. I'm sure in a previous game the commentator said they got him from a team that was relegated from the Spanish second division!

I Wish we could be so clued up to spot talent like that! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, villarocker said:

For me, Buendia is the one that makes that team title contenders. 

The players you mentioned are all good but Buendia looks a different class. He gets about all over the pitch and seems to have everything for a midfielder. He is creative, athletic, can score and can tackle. I'm sure in a previous game the commentator said they got him from a team that was relegated from the Spanish second division!

I agree, he was good, so was the 2 full backs & Pukki.....I was picking up on the ones that give the platform for players like Buendia to play....Hernandez was good too.

Its the ugly, mundane stuff, I was pointing at.....The stuff some folk take for granted.

Their whole team played like Tammy and McGinn.....whole hearted.

Edited by TRO

23 hours ago, KHV said:

Hause, Mings and Carroll are not an improvement on anything we already had.

A really underwhelming window IMO

From what I saw yesterday Mings is a massive improvement on what we already had.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Robbie09 said:

From what I saw yesterday Mings is a massive improvement on what we already had.

Very true. 

It's also worth mentioning that we are in a transition phase where we are implementing a new style of play. Carroll might not be better than say Whelan at an anchor role where you play hoofball. But if you aim to develop a more passing brand of modern football you need different players. They might not immidiately gel and show their worth, but once we get the right mix (say after the summer window), I am absolutely sure they will prove to be better than what we got. 

52 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Very true. 

It's also worth mentioning that we are in a transition phase where we are implementing a new style of play. Carroll might not be better than say Whelan at an anchor role where you play hoofball. But if you aim to develop a more passing brand of modern football you need different players. They might not immidiately gel and show their worth, but once we get the right mix (say after the summer window), I am absolutely sure they will prove to be better than what we got. 

can I respectfully remind you that you do not have to dispense with an anchor man, Defensive Midfielder or as Ron Atkinson so eloquently describes them as the " Insurance Man" to play expansive football.....certain jobs need to be done on a football field and just putting a shirt there is not enough.

Sergio Busquets and Fernandino are key players for Barcelona and Man City respectively playing the role and Claude Makalele carved our an illustrious career playing the role.

The problem we have....it's not the role, its the player that can't play it with any vigour or control....He has become a bystander, just seeing out his contract, its time up for Glenn at this level,I'm afraid....he has the odd decent game for sure, but hey, we are scrapping the barrel now.

Edited by TRO

7 minutes ago, sne said:

Still can't believe we for whatever reason failed to get a LB in.

Shocking. 

But there could not have been anyone suitable?

January window is poor SNE, and unless we wanted to be stung for multi millions of pounds signing someone (which I don't think we had that Luxury {FFP}) then I fail to see how this could have been bettered than what we already have.

Derby County signed an aging past it Ashley Cole.

I wonder what wages and signing on fee that will cost them.

It also shows the limited LB options that were available in January imo.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, villarocker said:

I'm sure in a previous game the commentator said they got him from a team that was relegated from the Spanish second division!

Our fans lose their sh*t when it's a fringe player from a PL team.

Can you imagine the posts if we signed a player from a Spanish Lower League team?

We've already been told the French right back we signed is shite because he doesnt

play for PSG.

21 hours ago, TRO said:

• Pukki - another Free

Also see John Ruddy at Wolves. 

How much have we spent on keepers the last 3 years which we could have had for nothing? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TRO said:

can I respectfully remind you that you do not have to dispense with an anchor man, Defensive Midfielder or as Ron Atkinson so eloquently describes them as the " Insurance Man" to play expansive football.....certain jobs need to be done on a football field and just putting a shirt there is not enough.

Sergio Busquets and Fernandino are key players for Barcelona and Man City respectively playing the role and Claude Makalele carved our an illustrious career playing the role.

The problem we have....it's not the role, its the player that can't play it with any vigour or control....He has become a bystander, just seeing out his contract, its time up for Glenn at this level,I'm afraid....he has the odd decent game for sure, but hey, we are scrapping the barrel now.

Completely agree, but Busquets as an example is a very good playmaker as well, which was my main point, however poorly it was made. It's possible to have a more defensive midfielder that's still able to participate in free flowing passing football. Funnily enough the term midfielder anchor is rather negative, but it describes Whelan and Jedinak to a T.