January transfer (we need a whole new team) window 2019

sne

15 hours ago, screwdriver said:

we dodged a bullet with fur.

yes he did a job against us in the fa cup. but his job was to man mark callum o hare, a slender rookie who didn't get backed up by his team mates.

when the first reducer came in I expected Glen "the old warrior" Whelan to get in Furr's face telling him to back off or he'd petrol bomb his car. However he let fur continue and therefore nullified Ohare's threat. Which lost us the game and looks like finishing ohares career prospects at villa.

I laugh at these football fans who are obsessed with central midfielders in the "patrick Viera" mould. most of them just have one or two of the attributes Viera had. and I don't mean passing accuracy or skill.

We didnt buy Fur because PETA be all over us

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, weedman said:

This. There's been tons of signings that have come with massive hype and expectation and a big name and they've almost always ended up being awful. A few lower profile signings may prove to be better? At worst case we should see how they actually perform before casting judgement. 

I mean I'm pretty underwhelmed by our January transfers, but I was excited by the likes of Hogan, Lansbury, Bree etc last year and look how they turned out. Being unsure, or underwhelmed is fine, labelling it a disgrace etc before any of these players have even kicked a ball for us is ludicrous. 

I mean before January started we pretty much all agreed that our squad was hugely imbalanced and top heavy, we had no fit CB, with a common complaint being "Chester playing on the left side is hugely detrimental", a calamity of a goalkeeper and our defensive midfield options were Whelan, Jedinak (injured) or Thor, with a manager who wants them to be a quarterback pinging passes around and dictating the tempo. We've addressed all these issues, we now have 4 CB, 2 right sided and 2 left sided (one of whom is also a competent LB giving us 2 options there as well), with Axel still to return, a new keeper and a new DM who can actually play football in Smith's system. 

While the window was underwhelming we've addressed our weakest areas without a huge financial outlay, so sure it could have been better, but it could have been a whole lot worse as well and there are definately reasons to be positive 

I don’t share the optimism here, simply because the calibre of player that has come in is so poor. Take Carrol for example, he can’t even get into a team that aren’t challenging for POs and has a terrible physique for a player reported to be playing in a defensive capacity. Equally, Hause is not fit and GK has looked suspect. 

January strategy has to be to sign players that can make an instant impact or can be given the rest of the season to bed in for next; none of these players coming in fit that bill. They are either rubbish, or will be going back to their loanee clubs, so would love to hear the happy clappers on here explain that logic.

Do you honestly think we couldn’t get a single LB, even in on loan? Our LB situation is an emergency and this is the incompetency that I reference. The issue didn’t come up in Dec., it’s been apparent since August, so given we have people that are paid just to source players, not to even get in a loan is a shambolic disgrace. 

Really don’t know where the happy Clappers draw their blind optimism from. 

Edited by Pimlico_Villa
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I'm interested for the answer to the same question.

A LB! Even one on loan, as it is an emergency situation and we’ve known that since August. I know January market is difficult, and our main targets were not available, but surely - given that we have a Director solely focused on bringing players in - we could have at least got one in on loan? 

Would have taken a PL U23s LB and been happy over the other dross we’ve brought in. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pimlico_Villa said:

I don’t share the optimism here, simply because the calibre of player that has come in is so poor. Take Carrol for example, he can’t even get into a team that aren’t challenging for POs and has a terrible physique for a player reported to be playing in a defensive capacity. Equally, Hause is not fit and GK has looked suspect. 

January strategy has to be to sign players that can make an instant impact or can be given the rest of the season to bed in for next; none of these players coming in fit that bill. They are either rubbish, or will be going back to their loanee clubs, so would love to hear the happy clappers on here explain that logic.

Do you honestly think we couldn’t get a single LB, even in on loan? Our LB situation is an emergency and this is the incompetency that I reference. The issue didn’t come up in Dec., it’s been apparent since August, so given we have people that are paid just to source players, not to even get in a loan is a shambolic disgrace. 

Really don’t know where the happy Clappers draw their blind optimism from. 

I try to remain positive but on paper the transfer window has been a little underwhelming. I’m just hoping Hause actually becomes fit, Mings can play left back and Carrol can become the player he once was at Spurs. 

I think the keeper is ok and will get better as settles in this league. 

The return of Jack will be bigger than any signing ever could have been. 

I was a bit surprised we didn’t recall Clark from Vale as I had high hopes he could be the fix .... time will tell but I guess but as he was left out on loan  it is possibly a damming indictment of his ability/ chances of making it here ... also Bedeau leaving permanently  came out the blue and I was surprised by... Mings & Hause  are two left footed  CB’s who can cover LB as well. A new GK and a CM who offers us something different and fits into the system smith wants us to play moving forward.... Oh and a new RB for next season...I  can’t see a lot wrong and with all signings time will be the judge but some seem to have wrote some of them off before a ball has been kicked... We all see things differently but I see a plan in place to secure our targets on our terms and timetable... I’m glad rather than panic and needlessly work down a list to secure our 6/7th choice DM or dedicated LB and we’ve strengthened in positions we needed to ... I trust Suso, Smith & co to have looked at the squad, what they have currently, what they wanted and what was needed and based decisions accordingly... Taylor / Hutton are awful but maybe they decided they offered just about enough to get us through till when we can secure our main target(s). 

A LB! Even one on loan, as it is an emergency situation and we’ve known that since August. I know January market is difficult, and our main targets were not available, but surely - given that we have a Director solely focused on bringing players in - we could have at least got one in on loan? 

Would have taken a PL U23s LB and been happy over the other dross we’ve brought in.

And if that PL U23 LB was worse than Taylor you'd still be happy? 

• Like 1

On 01/02/2019 at 08:49, jim said:

It's 4/10 from me.

Kallinic - Looks ropey

Hause - Bobbins going from his first game and what Wolves fans have told me

Mings - 20 games in 4 years big risk that may or may not pay off

Some bloke called Tom - Meh

Seems we are resigned to mid table obscurity this season.

Yours, Captain Positive

Kallinic is better than Nyland

Mings is better than all our CB's

Carroll adds something we have been missing. 

The idea of a transfer window is to strengthen the team, and our team is now stronger than it was before the window opened. 

I don't really get the negativity. 

Would have taken a PL U23s LB and been happy over the other dross we’ve brought in. 

We have enough cover in the full back positions and it's not a priority imo. - even if half this forum hate Elmo & Taylor (me included), we have Hutton who can play in both positions if cover is also needed. - Mings can apparantly also slot into the LB position.

I said it at the start of the window - let's not sign just anyone for the sake of it and I am glad we never.

The January window is never easy unless you wanted to be over priced on a crock of shite cause 'X' team know you're desperate for that LB.

Remember those other three words also hanging over us!. Financial  Fair  Play.

Maybe it's not the happy clapping outcome you wanted but just remember the hands of the club are also tied to a certain extent.

The window has not been everyones cup of tea but we knew this anyway before the get go.

Personally i'd also liked to have seen more activity myself but it was not to be. I just hope we can use what we have for now.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

We have enough cover in the full back positions and it's not a priority imo. - even if half this forum hate Elmo & Taylor (me included), we have Hutton who can play in both positions if cover is also needed. - Mings can apparantly also slot into the LB position.

I said it at the start of the window - let's not sign just anyone for the sake of it and I am glad we never.

The January window is never easy unless you wanted to be over priced on a crock of shite cause 'X' team know you're desperate for that LB.

Remember those other three words also hanging over us!. Financial  Fair  Play.

Maybe it's not the happy clapping outcome you wanted but just remember the hands of the club are also tied to a certain extent.

The window has not been everyones cup of tea but we knew this anyway before the get go.

Personally i'd also liked to have seen more activity myself but it was not to be. I just hope we can use what we have for now.

Spot on Andy. January is a difficult window. Clubs are reluctant to sell good players and on a personal level who wants to move their families in the middle of winter? 

We've fixed GK, CD and got in a ball playing CM. Are they all world beaters? No of course not, but the team has been strengthened.

I think we’d have liked a full back or two, but guess what the world isn’t perfect. What we haven’t done is waste money on short term fixes or paid over the odds for mediocre players. 

Now I haven’t got time to sit here chatting to you, I’ve got clapping to be getting on with. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Really Dave, I've always valued your posts.

.. even at times they are quite stiff and to the point. ;)

Well if ever you get your arse up to The Highlands we can sit at a bar, drink much too much and act like a right pair of dick heads! 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Pimlico_Villa said:

After reading this comment, I am now more than confident that we will be promoted.

What gets me he said he doesnt like loans as he wants to build for the future....then goes and errr loans !

As an aside the loaning of players is becoming an absolute farce...not just at villa...its getting like guns for hire..

2 minutes ago, hippo said:

What gets me he said he doesnt like loans as he wants to build for the future....then goes and errr loans !

As an aside the loaning of players is becoming an absolute farce...not just at villa...its getting like guns for hire..

I meant at an absolute minimum, at least a loan could have been conducted. Obviously it is not optimal, but given the emergency nature of the LB position, a loan would have been better than what we have .

Honestly, the level of comprehension of some people on here is ridiculous. Some people really need to have a look at themselves. 

15 minutes ago, Pimlico_Villa said:

a loan would have been better than what we have .

But if a suitable one isn't available what did you expect us to do? Magic one out of thin air?

Derby went for Ashley Cole.. should we have done that instead and beat them to it?

I fail to see what you expected to happen in such a delicate window.