January transfer (we need a whole new team) window 2019

sne

10 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

We play with one striker so Austin makes no sense. And Chester is playing with an injury. 100%. I don't really rate the guy but fair play to him.

You don’t rate our captain? Is that what you’re saying? His performance against Middlesbrough away earlier this season was exceptional, granted he hasn’t been that great this season but before that he was excellent in my opinion 

58 minutes ago, dukes said:

Many if the players in that Villa side have have gone on to much better things. 

Players like Amavi, Vererout, Gueye, Traore and even Ayew should have done much better.

Makes me wonder if Paddy Reilly was really that bad. Tim Sherwood has an awful lot to answer for.

Add those players to the spine of players from the previous season (Vlaar, Cleverley, Delph and Benteke) and you've got a squad competing for top 10 IMO. Issue was there was no solid foundation to allow those signings to settle. Plus Micah and Joleon. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GENTLEMAN said:

Add those players to the spine of players from the previous season (Vlaar, Cleverley, Delph and Benteke) and you've got a squad competing for top 10 IMO. Issue was there was no solid foundation to allow those signings to settle. Plus Micah and Joleon. 

Hence we were relegated in complete and utter disarray.

But this discussion should be in another thread I guess :)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

If we can get two full backs, a centre half, two wingers and a central midfielder in the next five days we'll be just fine.

I think an athletic modern LB and mobile tenacious DM is essential. Anything more is a bonus for me. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

We play with one striker so Austin makes no sense. And Chester is playing with an injury. 100%. I don't really rate the guy but fair play to him.

I'd much rather have Kodjia as back up to Abraham.  He's more versatile, and selling him to replace with an expensive loan would be dumb.

• Like 3

Anybody think Danny Drinkwater on loan until the end of the season would be decent? Was great at Leicester and early on for Chelsea, and has been told he’s surplus to requirements. Only thing is how far off match fitness would he be?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, 7392craig said:

Anybody think Danny Drinkwater on loan until the end of the season would be decent? Was great at Leicester and early on for Chelsea, and has been told he’s surplus to requirements. Only thing is how far off match fitness would he be?

No chance he's dropping down here.

4 minutes ago, 7392craig said:

I imagine he is thirsty for first team football

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, 7392craig said:

Reading some of the 'requests' in these transfer topics, I think a number of fans are going to very disappointed with our acquisitions over the next few windows.

Besides it's really not a sustainable way to build a squad. You get very little value with ageing premier league cannon fodder (not putting Drinkwater in this bracket). You quickly realise that the championship is no walk in the park and cannot stroll to victory based on reputation every week. I mean look at Stokes squad and where they're positioned.

Edited by GENTLEMAN
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

No chance he's dropping down here.

It’s be very surprising, but he’d get first team football. Could build his fitness up to make a move to a prem team in the summer. Surely worth a look at.

1 minute ago, GENTLEMAN said:

Reading some of the 'requests' in these transfer topics, I think a number of fans are going to very disappointed with our acquisitions over the next few windows.

I’m just saying surely it’s worth a look at some of these players. Surely every so often one of them is willing to drop down on loan to get first team football. Who’d have thought we’d have got John Terry last year? Snodgrass dropped down for first team football.

1 minute ago, 7392craig said:

It’s be very surprising, but he’d get first team football. Could build his fitness up to make a move to a prem team in the summer. Surely worth a look at.

He could play for about half a dozen PL clubs imo

He isn't Chelsea class but his career isn't over yet.

1 minute ago, rodders0223 said:

He could play for about half a dozen PL clubs imo

He isn't Chelsea class but his career isn't over yet.

But he still hasn’t moved to one, that’s why I’m suggesting him. Worst you get is a no eh?

7 minutes ago, 7392craig said:

I’m just saying surely it’s worth a look at some of these players. Surely every so often one of them is willing to drop down on loan to get first team football. Who’d have thought we’d have got John Terry last year? Snodgrass dropped down for first team football.

Perhaps you're right. Snodgrass, Terry, Bolaise and even Abraham were really high profile. I just don't think its a sustainable way to create a squad and the direction the club is going.

Edited by GENTLEMAN

Just now, GENTLEMAN said:

Perhaps you're right. Snodgrass, Terry, Bolaise and even Abraham were really high profile. I just don't think its a sustainable way to create a squad.

No I don’t, I suppose it is another stop gap. It’d be nice to have a proper DM for half a season though.

3 hours ago, pacbuddies said:

You really are a funny bloke. Why don't you change the record. You still haven't named one team with a better squad than ours. Just because Smith hasn't got them firing on all cylinders yet doesn't mean they are shit. We have done Albion, Boro and Derby on their own patch and all 3 are nicely placed in the play offs.

So because I haven’t named a better squad than Villa’s, that means there isn’t one? Why don’t I put it out there to the wider Villatalk community in the ‘we need a whole new squad’ thread. 

Guys, pacbuddies thinks we have the best squad in the league because I’m yet to name a better one. Can you? Do we have the best squad in the league? Do we even need to sign any defenders/midfielders in Jan?