January transfer (we need a whole new team) window 2019

sne

14 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Although the idea and plan of having a squad full of young talented hungry players I think is the dream, to dismiss loan signings of players who have played at the top level who can still perform is insane! 

The club can afford it and if it improves the squad then I am all for it. 

Yes.

It's not like we are filling the squad with people over 30 again is it. Cahill would be a one off exception.

Look at it this way, Bolasie could still be here till June collecting £80k a week offering **** all.

- Swapping him with someone like Cahill in an area we desperately need is a no brainer imo. I really don't see the problem if this was to materialise.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tayls said:

He’s a highly paid player... he hasn’t established himself in the prem yet. 

Im talking about the likes of Bolasie, people taking about Cahill, among others. 

Also, don’t forget we won’t have Tammy next season, he’d have been top scorer for a team that finished the season, say, around 8th/9th in the championship (perhaps?)... what was the point? Great to see a player get 20 goals in a season for us, but what other benefit do we get? We now have to go and find another striker or give one of our youth players a chance, whilst Tammy goes and plays for Wolves. 

Dont get me wrong, at the start of Jan I was nervous about Tammy leaving, but that’s because I thought we were still in with a decent shot of going up, but now, I don’t think we are good enough and nowhere near ready to progress - so, if Tammy did leave now, would it be the worst thing? Probably not... I love the guy though, I think he’s great and has exactly the sort of mentality I’m saying we need.  

What do we get out of it? Promotion. Its not going to be easy but we're still in touch with the top 6 and if the next week goes well we can fix most of the issues.

I see no reason to give up yet. If the next week doesn't go well lthen, yes, we're screwed for this season and may as well blood the next gen.

• Like 1

Problem with the young route is :

experience playing in front of a expectant villa park crowd is tough. Remember when Bruce said he needed experienced players as younger players struggled here. I think he was right there. My concern is younger players can’t handle the pressure here.

the balance has to be right as despite them beinglame to poor Taylor’s Hutton whelan And jedinak is a hell of a lot of experience in the squad. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Although the idea and plan of having a squad full of young talented hungry players I think is the dream, to dismiss loan signings of players who have played at the top level who can still perform is insane! 

The club can afford it and if it improves the squad then I am all for it. 

We can’t afford it, that’s part of the point.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tayls said:

And this is half the problem, we all thought it when we first went down. I was expecting us to come straight back up again along with Newcastle. 

Really?

The team that got relegated was one of the worst to grace the Premier League.

Wheras Newcastle had a side that was poorly managed but full of quality.

27 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

experience playing in front of a expectant villa park crowd is tough. Remember when Bruce said he needed experienced players as younger players struggled here. I think he was right there. My concern is younger players can’t handle the pressure here.

the balance has to be right as despite them beinglame to poor Taylor’s Hutton whelan And jedinak is a hell of a lot of experience in the squad. 

No, it’s was bs from a guy that is incapable of developing or coaching players and just depends on experience because he doesn’t actually do tactics.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

No, it’s was bs from a guy that is incapable of developing or coaching players and just depends on experience because he doesn’t actually do tactics.

Not sure about that. I do agree he was clueless but I do think we need strong charchters who can handle the pressure and villa park crowd

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MarkLillis said:

Really?

The team that got relegated was one of the worst to grace the Premier League.

Wheras Newcastle had a side that was poorly managed but full of quality.

Of course. ‘We are Aston Villa’. 

There was no way we were going to drop a division and lose games to minions such as a Brentford, QPR and Sheffield United... 

34 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Yeah the balance needs to be right .

No team will ever be full of 21 year olds, there always has to be a balance.

For example of you have 4 or 5 young outfield players, then having the other 5 at ages of 23 to 32 ish is prob fine.

It's all about balance, and our balance the last few years has been much closer to 30 than 20, I think DS just means he wants to bring that average age down, which is reasonable tbh.

35 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

They have experience, Dem, but it’s not winning mentality experience. 

JT is the only experienced player we have signed that had that mentality. 

34 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

We can’t afford it, that’s part of the point.

Course we can, we can afford to buy Man City club twice over if we wanted too, we just can’t becuase of the FFP rules, of which our very own Purslow help to create, so he will know exactly how the circumnavigate around it without pushing the boundaries so that it’s obviously to other clubs, it’s probably the number one reason why our owners chose to hire him. And then there is the money saved on Bolasies wages and negotiation with Chelsea over paying a percentage of wage etc. 

Edited by Tommo_b

7 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Course we can, we can afford to buy Man City club twice over if we wanted too, we just can’t becuase of the FFP rules, of which our very own Purslow help to create, so he will know exactly how the circumnavigate around it without pushing the boundaries so that it’s obviously to other clubs, it’s probably the number one reason why our owners chose to hire him. And then there is the money saved on Bolasies wages and negotiation with Chelsea over paying a percentage of wage etc. 

Ok, if you say so. 

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Yeah and look how that turned out last season and this one so far.

Its time to give the younger players a chance. The Villa crowd would get behind them and the manager for doing it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

What do you think of Konsa? 

He was  exceptional at the start of the season alongside Mepham but we started looking vulnerable just before Smith left letting in stupid goals that got steadily worse with both looking poor.Mepham got injured and we started playing 3 central defenders Konsa Jeanvier and Barbet we haven’t lost,gone 7 unbeaten since without mepham getting any game time even when he was fit.Think that was why we accepted the lower asking price for Mepham.Konsa is now playing very well and hopefully we can hang on to him for a few more seasons.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, striker said:

Yeah and look how that turned out last season and this one so far.

Its time to give the younger players a chance. The Villa crowd would get behind them and the manager for doing it.

Most of the fans SAY they would support it.

But unfortunately we as villa fans have a history, and that history tells me that if DS actually did a "young lions" team for the rest of the season, once we lost a couple or a player performs poorly a lot of the fans would literally go nuts, start booing the team and calling for the managers head.

It's sad but true think.

Yeah it seems unlikely, but if there's a chance, we should go for it.

There's clearly money to spend. The alternative is we spent 7m on a keeper when we needed new defenders just as much. So that would be idiotic if there's nothing left and these guys dont strike me as idiots.

Also the noises coming out of Villa are not trying to manage fans expectations in terms of funds available, which would be the smart move if we were struggling. Did we not bid 14m for Mepham? There are clearly other targets too.