January transfer (we need a whole new team) window 2019

sne

I think people are going to be disappointed if they think we will be heading towards the Cahill like deals.

Neither Smith not the owners work that way, we have already been told what types of players we can expect!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Nigel said:

I think people are going to be disappointed if they think we will be heading towards the Cahill like deals.

Neither Smith not the owners work that way, we have already been told what types of players we can expect!

Agreed. A large section of our fan base are in for a reality check this summer. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Nigel said:

About time! However it would be great to see Cahill wearing the correct shirt, the one he should have been wearing for years ;)

In reality I'm all for the new way of doing things and hopeful Smith and The Holy Director of Football can get what they wanted sorted in the next few days. The squad needs a massive kick up the arse after totally dropping the ball, they went from transformed and looking incredible going forward to the same old arse saving "not my fault" performances after a couple of months. Big job sorting it out. 

• Like 1

Leeds and Norwich this season are showing the rest of us that 'young and hungry' players, willing to learn, can be good enough.  I really hope it's our approach next season.  Cahill deals really should be a thing of the past.   Some fans will be disappointed for sure, but those deals are simply not sustainable for a championship club.   Bring on the future I say and let's hope for ten more " McGinn's" coming   :flag:

• Like 4

If we can find a young hungry defender who is also quality and can lead a defence, in the next week... I'm down like a clown, Charlie Brown. That sounds pretty expensive to me though. More than loaning Cahill for a few months pethaps.

We need somebody to get us through to the summer, possibly get us into the PL via the playoffs. Cahill could do that. Then we can look at the long term plan of young and hungry.

Finishing the season with a back 4 containing Cahill, Tuanzebe and Mings for instance, and an up and coming gem of a  right back from the continent, would improve our fortunes dramatically. 3 of those would fit the young and hungry bill, but would be guided by an elite veteran player in Cahill, which you still need. You still need some experience and leadership. Can't just be kids. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Tayls said:

And it’s about time. 

It has been said before but we absolutely had to go up within the first two seasons of being in the championship. Anything after that would mean a massive overhaul and probably signals the beginning of a lengthy spell within this division. 

I have no doubt that we will remain one of the better teams in this league, but we really do need to address our squad before we can think about being promoted. It’s full of overpaid players, who, quite frankly, don’t really care. They are not winners. That mentality needs to be fixed. 

If getting this mentality right means Smith needs a few windows to get it sorted, then he will be given that time. Purslow know what we have got and undoubtedly knows what the issues are, as does Smith, Terry, etc. 

As fans we need to stop thinking that highly paid prem players are going to want to come here and save us - they really don’t. It’s time to start looking after ourselves now, not other teams’ rejects or youth players. 

I am with you on this.

However I still have that voice in the back of my mind which says "We are Aston Villa".

So it wouldn't surprise me if we could still pull a couple rabbits out of a hat.

That by no means signifies that I am EXPECTING or will be disappointed if we don't.

I'm fully on board and entrenched in the reality of where we are.

Yet not fully resigned to "We will be here for several years" as I don't think that is set in stone, because other teams have proved you can get out of the League with "young and hungry".

With our owners and stature we should be able to get the best in class of those types, in this League anyway.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

A highly paid prem player is currently the top scorer in the league. Last season, our best defender, one of our best midfielders. Most clubs who go up take advantage of this.

I agree with the overhaul plan completely, but the odd quality loan player isn't the issue. The issue is the general poor quality squad player. They still hoover up large salaries en masse, but offer little return.

Exactly. You have to use the loan market in a smart way. Wolves had around 5 loan players in the team when got promoted and then signed them all. 

Normally I wouldn’t want to see us signing or loaning 30+ players on big wages but we desperately need someone right now to help sure up the defence.  Forget the long term, let’s try and still make playoffs.  If we don’t make them then it’s time to rebuild. One over payed loan player isn’t about to sabotage a rebuild.

FWIW though I can’t see Cahill coming to us anyway. A premier league club will snap him up.

3 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

A highly paid prem player is currently the top scorer in the league. Last season, our best defender, one of our best midfielders. Most clubs who go up take advantage of this.

I agree with the overhaul plan completely, but the odd quality loan player isn't the issue. The issue is the general poor quality squad player. They still hoover up large salaries en masse, but offer little return.

He’s a highly paid player... he hasn’t established himself in the prem yet. 

Im talking about the likes of Bolasie, people taking about Cahill, among others. 

Also, don’t forget we won’t have Tammy next season, he’d have been top scorer for a team that finished the season, say, around 8th/9th in the championship (perhaps?)... what was the point? Great to see a player get 20 goals in a season for us, but what other benefit do we get? We now have to go and find another striker or give one of our youth players a chance, whilst Tammy goes and plays for Wolves. 

Dont get me wrong, at the start of Jan I was nervous about Tammy leaving, but that’s because I thought we were still in with a decent shot of going up, but now, I don’t think we are good enough and nowhere near ready to progress - so, if Tammy did leave now, would it be the worst thing? Probably not... I love the guy though, I think he’s great and has exactly the sort of mentality I’m saying we need.  

• Like 1

Telegraph linking us (and Wolves) with Charlie Austin 🙄

An expensive players turning 30 in a few months with re-occurring hamstring problems who hasn't played much football or scored that many goals in recent years is exactly what we don't need.

Can't see any truth in this one surely.

21 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I am with you on this.

However I still have that voice in the back of my mind which says "We are Aston Villa".

And this is half the problem, we all thought it when we first went down. I was expecting us to come straight back up again along with Newcastle. 

We are Aston Villa, that bit is correct - but we are 13th in championship...not sitting pretty at the top the league. 

• Like 1

Remember a few years ago when it was said it might be good for us to get relegated to the Championship so we could rebuild and get a fresh start.

Or the season after when it might be good for us with another season in the Championship because we were not ready to be promoted and need one more season so we could finish our rebuild...

Good times! 

Edited by sne
  • Thanks 1

Cahill coming back is in reality unlikely to happen. He will be in demand by PL clubs such as Fulham and may therefore prefer a half season relegation battle with them to a part in an unlikely play off run with us. If so, that's a pity because his arrival could have had the same impact on our defence this year as JT's arrival had on it last season. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, sne said:

Remember a few years ago when it was said it might be good for us to get relegated to the Championship so we could rebuild and get a fresh start.

Or the season after when it might be good for us with another season in the Championship because we were not ready to be promoted and need one more season so we could finish our rebuild...

Good times! 

The problem is we didn't rebuild did we, we carried on in the same vein with a heirachy who didn't know what they were doing, and we literally just pis*** money in any direction to get promoted.

The current regime to me "appears" to be our first actual attempt at learning from our mistakes and restructuring.

I did say appears though, I hope we are learning and changing now, but we will see.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 4

Although the idea and plan of having a squad full of young talented hungry players I think is the dream, to dismiss loan signings of players who have played at the top level who can still perform is insane! 

The club can afford it and if it improves the squad then I am all for it. 

• Like 3