January transfer (we need a whole new team) window 2019

sne

I really like Smith, much of what he's done here has been excellent. Picking up from Bruce, he was starting from a position of grim disadvantage.

However, after his comments this evening... if we go into the rest of the season without squad improvement and he stays silent, I won't be able to shake the feeling he's let the board off easy.

If he doesn't get what he wants I hope he says so, because there's gaps everywhere and it's unfair for him to bear the brunt.

Edited by Tomaszk
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

I really like Smith, much of what he's done here has been excellent. Picking up from Bruce, he was starting from a position of grim disadvantage.

However, after his comments this evening... if we go into the rest of the season without squad improvement and he stays silent, I won't be able to shake the feeling he's a mouth piece for the board.

If he doesn't get what he wants I hope he says so, because there's gaps everywhere and it's unfair for him to bear the brunt.

All that is going to achieve is knock the players that we have playing.

”Ideally I wanted to sign a left back because Taylor is shit, but unfortunately it’s January and the market is ridiculous. So I’m stuck with Taylor for now”

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Anyone else worried about how quiet this thread is in respect of credible links to players. 

We badly need reinforcements and I don't see any on the horizon. 

Any last minute stuff will be more premier league wannabies settling for second best in their mind. 

I would have hoped for some foreign or lower league signings talent spotted and desperate to get here as a big move for them by now. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Anyone else worried about how quiet this thread is in respect of credible links to players. 

Any last minute stuff will be more premier league wannabes settling for second best in their mind. 

I would have hoped for some foreign or lower league signings talent spotted and desperate to get here as a big move for them by now. 

Could just be that this lot are better at keeping things under wraps, still though I was expecting a lot more fun this window. No-one has heard something from a guy in the supermarket, no plane spotting, no friends of friends who work as cleaners seeing someone at bodymoor....

The window is going to SLAM shut soon too!?!?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Any last minute stuff will be more premier league wannabes settling for second best in their mind. 

But smith said he was confident he would have all he needs by the time the window closes. 

If he has lied to us in won’t be happy!!

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

Realistically he will have given lists of the players and priorities to the board, they then take over in trying to obtain the players. It's not Smith's job to negotiate deals with clubs.

January is a strange window and most deals happen at the very end when clubs make decisions on players. It wouldn't surprise me to start seeing movements from Tuesday onwards.

Yeh it must be difficult to secure targets in Jan. He did seem quite upbeat about it which is encouraging. He could have easily have played it down.

The longer we have to wait, the more likely it is that the players are higher calibre.

So we have to wait until all the first choices drop or we opt for plan b and c. I guess the longer we wait, the more chance of getting a. Just hope we dont get mugged off so late that we can't react.

These guys know their business though and will have deadlines for that you'd think.

2 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

All that is going to achieve is knock the players that we have playing.

”Ideally I wanted to sign a left back because Taylor is shit, but unfortunately it’s January and the market is ridiculous. So I’m stuck with Taylor for now”

Oh no. If Taylor's confidence goes, so will the awesome form. Smith is playing a dangerous game putting these shit, lazy, gutless wonders on notice.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, TRO said:

I just wonder sometimes how clubs with lots of player changes manage to keep an air of stability in their playing stature....Players coming and going, but they stay in the premier League....is it just Money?

• Bournemouth
  • Crystal Palace
  • Burnley
  • Brighton
  • Watford
  • Fulham
  • Cardiff
  • Leicester

These are clubs in some ways ,with less profile than us.

all so very frustrating....just have to hope in the long term, we get it right.

Personally I wouldn’t put Brighton in that category, Brighton have an excellent recruitment system, they just signed some lad called Mac Allister, but he will stay on loan at his current club until next season, they have been planning their signings ahead since the days of Gus Poyet being in charge, they have poached one of the FA’s top dogs, Houghton is a good coach who has been there awhile now, the chairman is a Brighton fan, honestly think Brighton are a great model to follow, they have a real togetherness from top to bottom.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

But smith said he was confident he would have all he needs by the time the window closes. 

If he has lied to us in won’t be happy!!

I wonder if he thought he had Mepham in the bag ?. Listening to him after Hull he sounded pretty upbeat I got the impression new players were poised to sign this week.

3 hours ago, sidcow said:

Any last minute stuff will be more premier league wannabies settling for second best in their mind. 

Nope...  Not worried at all.  This new regime at Villa Park play their cards close to the chest.  We won't hear anything until a deal is close to completion.  

2 hours ago, Mazrim said:

The longer we have to wait, the more likely it is that the players are higher calibre.

So we have to wait until all the first choices drop or we opt for plan b and c. I guess the longer we wait, the more chance of getting a. Just hope we dont get mugged off so late that we can't react.

These guys know their business though and will have deadlines for that you'd think.

Image result for simon dawkins aston villa

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Am I the only one who has absolutely no idea who this bloke is? 

3 minutes ago, LondonVillian said:

I also have no idea who that is

Simon Dawkins.