January transfer (we need a whole new team) window 2019

sne

2 minutes ago, av1 said:

He's older than I thought 

When our signings become total flops their duration at he club seems to become a timewarp. It feels like he's been here for an age. The club's changed ownership twice and had six managers since he's been here. He must be like an old man at the club, reminiscing to all the kids "I remember when this was all fields..."

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Lord Willard said:

Middlesbrough have signed Mikel, I would of liked to have seen him come this way. 

Maybe he’ll work out but I think these are the types we need to stay away from. He’s been chilling on holiday in China for 2 years, he’s the wrong side of 30 and you’re paying him on the hope he’s the player he was a 3/4 years ago. Do we need the type of character that would head over to China for cash still only aged 29? Will he come in with the right attitude? I don’t think so in this current villa squad. Maybe Middlesborough will have the squad balance right and at least they’ve only offered him a short term deal but I just think at this moment in time it would not be beneficial to Villa.

• Like 4

Mikel might have been interesting but I agree, we don't need any question marks at the moment. Somebody to complement Grealish and McGinn is all we need. Box to box player or commanding defensive mid who can bring the ball out of defence and pick a pass.

• Like 2

Mikel screams mercenary to me and the type of player we don't need and are hopefully not going after anymore. Getting shot of Bolasie was a big statement, doing that and then making another expensive gamble would be weird. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Mikel screams mercenary to me and the type of player we don't need and are hopefully not going after anymore. Getting shot of Bolasie was a big statement, doing that and then making another expensive gamble would be weird. 

A big statement we didn't make due to him ending the loan, not us. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, John said:

Bournemouth sold us Elphick and he proved to be not the same player than he was prior to injury, so we would be right to ask for a loan with an option to buy.

We then have the opportunity to look at him, ensure his fitness and check that he's still the player he was (rather than a donkey) before parting with our cash. Any fee for the loan and the percentage of his wages that we meet, should then be dependent on the number of games that he plays for us until the end of the season.

I just wonder sometimes how clubs with lots of player changes manage to keep an air of stability in their playing stature....Players coming and going, but they stay in the premier League....is it just Money?

• Bournemouth
  • Crystal Palace
  • Burnley
  • Brighton
  • Watford
  • Fulham
  • Cardiff
  • Leicester

These are clubs in some ways ,with less profile than us.

all so very frustrating....just have to hope in the long term, we get it right.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Mazrim said:

Mikel might have been interesting but I agree, we don't need any question marks at the moment. Somebody to complement Grealish and McGinn is all we need. Box to box player or commanding defensive mid who can bring the ball out of defence and pick a pass.

Hoping were moving away from those kind of quick fix signings which turn out to be a waste of wages and build something sustainable for the future.

Middlesborough will also find this out when they fail to get promoted and are in our position when the parachute money runs out.

Edited by AshVilla
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Don_Simon said:

A big statement we didn't make due to him ending the loan, not us. 

Reading between the lines Bolasie jumped before the indignation of being kept out the team by Green, or worse sent back.

If you listen to DS’s version, he admirably let’s Bolasie off the hook by not explicitly saying he was underperforming and was sent back, but does makes it clear he wasn’t delivering on his promise (and wages and talent) and suggested the player himself was disappointed in his game. Bolasie isn’t going to pull up trees at an ambitious PL club when he can’t get into a mid table Championship side, returning doesn’t make sense.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TRO said:

I just wonder sometimes how clubs with lots of player changes manage to keep an air of stability in their playing stature....Players coming and going, but they stay in the premier League....is it just Money?

• Bournemouth
  • Crystal Palace
  • Burnley
  • Brighton
  • Watford
  • Fulham
  • Cardiff
  • Leicester

These are clubs in some ways ,with less profile than us.

all so very frustrating....just have to hope in the long term, we get it right.

Cardiff and Fulham have not stayed in the PL yet (there's still hope). It's also not just money but it has a lot to do with it. It is all too frustrating isn't it? :(

33 minutes ago, John said:

Cardiff and Fulham have not stayed in the PL yet (there's still hope). It's also not just money but it has a lot to do with it. It is all too frustrating isn't it? :(

To compete at the top you need money, it's a prerequisite, having it is no guarantee of success though. You have to know how to squeeze every drop of it's potential out as a promoted side to stay up and then take it from there. I can't think of anyone who has gone up, not invested, and stayed up.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Brentfordnylons said:

Can’t argue with your last point,I got a bit carried away.You have to remember playing a game at Villa park a few years back would represent a great fa cup fixture for us

Anytime you play at Villa Park it's a great fixture for Brentford - even if it was a game of tiddlywinks! 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, thunderball said:

Reading between the lines Bolasie jumped before the indignation of being kept out the team by Green, or worse sent back.

If you listen to DS’s version, he admirably let’s Bolasie off the hook by not explicitly saying he was underperforming and was sent back, but does makes it clear he wasn’t delivering on his promise (and wages and talent) and suggested the player himself was disappointed in his game. Bolasie isn’t going to pull up trees at an ambitious PL club when he can’t get into a mid table Championship side, returning doesn’t make sense.

So you think we'd play him against Hull knowing we were going terminate his loan the next day? Absolute nonsense. Even Villa plan better than that. 

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

After posting that I read Smith say by the time the transfer window closes he will be confident he has who he needs.

Thats make me happy. 

I wonder how many more we have lined up and looking to bring in?..

It could be an interesting few days.