January transfer (we need a whole new team) window 2019

sne

1 hour ago, Brentfordnylons said:

No he only scored 21 goals in 33 games,who was the last Villa striker to have that ratio  Peter Withe 

Most of our strikers have tended to play for us in the top flight so it's not really a fair comparison over the years. Saying that Tammy says Hi...;)

• Like 2

Tbf, Brentford are doing a good job of following the Southampton model. Punting on the family silver every year without ever getting close to where you really want to go, so kudos. There will always be rich shmucks like Villa queuing up to buy it.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

We don’t but without checking the contract myself, I believe we get to keep the goals he’s scored for us.

You had better read the small print, this is AV after all......

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Anybody got a horrible feeling we may not see many more signings?

Maybe 1 more...

Tbh I'd probably hold my powder dry in this window and save as much money for the summer when we will need a massive rebuild, even though we still have an outside chance of making a run for the playoffs this season.  Like you say, maybe one more player but not a lot of activity other than that.

I’m not too bothered if we don’t sign anyone else until the summer. We’re not getting promoted this season either way. I’d rather we wait and get the right players in than buy for buying sake. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, thejoker said:

I’m not too bothered if we don’t sign anyone else until the summer. We’re not getting promoted this season either way. I’d rather we wait and get the right players in than buy for buying sake. 

We were one of the form teams before we lost Jack and Tuanzebe. One is back soon and the other about a month away. If we sign a couple of decent players along with getting Jack back we should be aiming to recapture our form and trying for the playoffs still.

Of course.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mazrim said:

I'm certain we'll get at least 2 more in.

A LB and midfielder are the objectives apparently. If this happened it wouldn’t be bad business, especially if Jack and Tuenzebe come back soon.

January is usually busy towards the very end of the window as deals close out and plan B and C come into focus

31 minutes ago, Brentfordnylons said:

When was the last time you managed to beat us ?

The data snapshot is a bit small as we've rarely been in the same division. But... OK. You can have that one. Your cash sales and recent head to heads are hard to argue with. 

2 hours ago, Mazrim said:

The data snapshot is a bit small as we've rarely been in the same division. But... OK. You can have that one. Your cash sales and recent head to heads are hard to argue with. 

Still doesn’t change the fact that they ARE a selling club who likely will never compete.

8 hours ago, Brentfordnylons said:

When was the last time you managed to beat us ?

Another supporter who uses that fact that we have been almost run into ground by poor management over the last ten years to validate how well their club is doing...

Wouldn’t you much rather be unbeaten against us when we are in our usual position of top half Premier?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, 7392craig said:

Still doesn’t change the fact that they ARE a selling club who likely will never compete.

Sad thought—wouldn't we be a selling club if we had players worth buying that we owned (see next summer if we're not promoted)? And what are we really competing for?

6 hours ago, 7392craig said:

Brentford are actually a very well run club. They don't have the benefit of being a club flush with cash and so are making the best of buying, developing and selling players for high prices. Eventually they will benefit from this and they have proved that they can spend the money wisely and compete in the Championship.

2015/16 - Arrivals - 9.37m   Departures - 22.95m

2016/17 - Arrivals - 4.64m  Departures - 12.96m

2017/18 - Arrivals - 5.49m  Departures - 13.65m

2018/19 - Arrivals 5.90m  Departures - 26.51m

A lot of clubs in the Championship have to work this model until they finally acheive promotion, some doing it better than others. It's something we now need to be doing as well instead of spunking money up the wall at every oppurtunity.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

That lad who’s scored 17 goals in 22 appearances for us this season might have something to say about that ratio.

He's managed to have more than one good 30 game spell in his entire career too.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 2