January transfer (we need a whole new team) window 2019

sne

4 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

We have a lot of financial constraints so we don't have a choice. These young players need time and games, O'Hare for instance has barely had that. I struggle to see why sides like Leeds are bringing through good young players from their academy into their first team but we can't. We're pretty successful at youth and under 23 level, there's a clear issue in how we transition our best young players into the first team. I personally think there's some talent there, I think players like Green, Doyle-Hayes, O'Hare, Davis and Clark are good enough, ability wise, to be in our match day squads and contribute to the first team.

I would love some of those players to be involved but if they aren't good enough i won't criticise smith for it. There were some idiots who booed his decision to sub o'hare. That's just ridiculous. 

• Like 2

I dont get this next big young player from our youth team. To be brutally honest our youth team must be pretty shit and hasnt produced anything of quality besides Grealish and Cahill. Cahill improved I upside of our club so we can't take much credit for it.

Leeds United had 2 or 3 players aged 18 and Jack Clarke looks class. Even Norwich playing there youth players and there being banded about as 20m signings by either Arsenal or Spurs.

If we don't have a better youth players with more energy than Whelan we need close our academy. Save some £££ 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

Regardless of if they are good enough? The great next hope O'hare looked completely out of his depth. 

He looked out of his depth because we asked him to play the number 8 role with Scott Hogan ahead of him. We tried to shoehorn him into Grealish’s role.

Had we set up the team with two midfielders and O’Hare free in the number 10 role with Kodjia or Davis for him to play off he would have benefitted massively.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

Regardless of if they are good enough? The great next hope O'hare looked completely out of his depth. 

Like a lot of our youngsters they need games to build up being ready for full first team action. We may as well give them it and accept a few losses, and see if they are ready. Not all will come through, but some will progress. We aren’t going up this year so may as well.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

He looked out of his depth because we asked him to play the number 8 role with Scott Hogan ahead of him. We tried to shoehorn him into Grealish’s role.

Had we set up the team with two midfielders and O’Hare free in the number 10 role with Kodjia or Davis for him to play off he would have benefitted massively.

That's what o hare is though a attacking midfielder

I have to say I don't get the hype with him. Everytime I've seen him in a competitive game he has done absolutely nothing.  He had one good pre season game and then all this hype just came.

If he can't get into the side at the moment with our poor form things don't look good for him.

Needs to go on loan I think with a  recall option if we pick up injuries

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

That's what o hare is though a attacking midfielder

I have to say I don't get the hype with him. Everytime I've seen him in a competitive game he has done absolutely nothing.  He had one good pre season game and then all this hype just came.

If he can't get into the side at the moment with our poor form things don't look good for him.

Needs to go on loan I think with a  recall option if we pick up injuries

In fairness to him look at the games he’s been thrown into. The league games anyway, which I think we can agree are the games we all are bothered about.

Cardiff when we were hammered. Wolves when we were being played off the park. Losing 2-0 at home to Wednesday (where I think he got an assist for our consolation). 

Oh and by the looks of it he got ten minutes at the end of the Bristol City game when we won 5-0. So most of the time he’s been given a chance it’s been when we’ve been more or less out of the game. Or a cup game when playing in a cobbled together side.

No idea if he’ll come good, I’m not one of those who has hyped him. But what little time he’s had hasn’t done much to make me conclude either way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Are we still interested in Rico Henry?  Scored yesterday, has pace and only 21 years of age I think.   Has to be an improvement on Taylor.  

would love him, but tbh im not sure he's within our price range, i doubt he would be cheap.

1 hour ago, wilko154 said:

His role had little to do with how weak he looked. He was like a little boy playing against men. He wasn't and isn't good enough for first team football at the moment. 

3 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Isn't the key point that Norwich and Leeds are giving their young players opportunities? Which academy players have been given a run of games by Bruce or Smith this season? The answer is none of them and therein lies the problem, you will never know if these players are good enough until they're given a chance of some kind. 

I'm not blaming Smith here, he hasn't been here that long after all, but I'll be pretty disappointed if I don't see one or two of our academy players getting a decent run of games (even if off the bench) by the end of this season. The reality is that promotion is pretty unlikely and that a large bulk of our first team are here on loan. Next season we will be left with a massive rebuilding job and with FFP the funds will not be there to sign many players. All roads point to being forced to utilise academy players.

This has been the same thing that was said over the last 5 seasons of our youth. Even when we were relegated at least our youth will get games. 

Maybe we our over egging our own youth team.

The likes of Albrighton, Daniel Johnson and Eric Lichaj walk into this current team in my opinion. Callum Robinson would be in the squad too. Albrighton is obvious he is in the PL, the rest we let go. I don’t think we overrate/overegg them I think we mismanage them instead.

Edited by dudevillaisnice
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, Merson08 said:

I dont get this next big young player from our youth team. To be brutally honest our youth team must be pretty shit and hasnt produced anything of quality besides Grealish and Cahill. Cahill improved I upside of our club so we can't take much credit for it.

Leeds United had 2 or 3 players aged 18 and Jack Clarke looks class. Even Norwich playing there youth players and there being banded about as 20m signings by either Arsenal or Spurs.

If we don't have a better youth players with more energy than Whelan we need close our academy. Save some £££ 

There have been a few more come through aside from Cahill and Grealish who have had/are having very good careers. Steven Davis, Albrighton, Ciaran Clark, Baker, Lichaj, Hogg.

I think as a manager it is sometimes a bit of a brave move to throw in a youngster as you never know if they can step up unless you give them a chance. I think as a manager and as supporters you also have to be prepared if they are called on for them not to make an instant impact and if they don't be prepared to give them a number of chances.

For me now we have a number of players that are yesterdays men and need to be phased out. Hutton, Taylor, Whelan, Bjarnason, Adomah should all go the same way as Jedinak who it appears has been disregarded. If we can't get anything else out of this season, as is fast appearing the case, then let's at least give the likes of Bree, Hause, O'Hare, Doyle Hayes, Davis plenty of game time and see what they can do. If it is possible I would also bring back Mitch Clark and Green and get them involved.

Whelan and Bjarnason are offering nothing so we have nothing to lose and potentially much to gain by seeing what Doyle Hayes and O'Hare can do. Hutton has no future here now so lets stick with Bree for the rest of the season. Hause we need to take a look at so we can decide whether to buy him in the summer so lets put him in and give him a run of games. 

I'd be confident if between now and the end of the season we have given three or four of the younger lads a good run of games one or two of them will have shone and we'll be looking for them to start next season.

In addition to giving the younger lads we have now a chance I think we have to ensure any new players coming in are in the young and hungry mould.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 4

I would like us to go for Daniel Johnson, I don't think he would cost too much. He would give us legs and energy in midfield, is a good battler, a good passer and his pin point passes over our backline caused us loads of trouble in the last game, we lack someone who can pick out such passes. I think he could play anywhere in the mid three.

Bring our boy home!