January transfer (we need a whole new team) window 2019

sne

I'm very surprised that we haven't gotten in a DM yet...  I think a DM which fits Deano's system is more important this month than a LB to challenge Taylor.  There were rumblings in Spain that we made inquiries into 2 different DMs around Christmas, and I saw an article that we're also looking into possibly doing a deal for James McCarthy. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I agree but it’s very hard for the club the size of Villa to ‘pluck’ a player that can go straight in to the first team.  Even the youth players have to be of a very high standard to get a chance.

Can you imagine how the fans would react if we signed a player from Huddersfield that was previously loaned to Scunthorpe. Or a player that featured out on loan to lower league teams teams for the past 4 years. 

Wouldnt go down to well.

edit: a few more years in this league and I think we’ll see a very different approach to signings. 

You make a good point, the profile of the club makes it hard to put unknowns straight into the firing line. I suppose the way to go in the future is to find these unknowns when they are still young and developed them, both in our youth teams and out on loan, before throwing them into the spot light. We just haven’t had any sort of meaningful infrastructure for years. Hopefully that is now changing. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, KMitch said:

I'm very surprised that we haven't gotten in a DM yet...  I think a DM which fits Deano's system is more important this month than a LB to challenge Taylor.  There were rumblings in Spain that we made inquiries into 2 different DMs around Christmas, and I saw an article that we're also looking into possibly doing a deal for James McCarthy. 

A good one would improve us so much.

Veretout in that role would be incredible.

If only we'd got Smith when we first came down.

2 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

A good one would improve us so much.

Veretout in that role would be incredible.

If only we'd got Smith when we first came down.

I've seen several Fiorentina games this season and Veretout is playing the same role as McGinn is for us.  He's much more of a "Box-To-Box" type player.

1 hour ago, jacketspuds said:

Given his injury record it's probably loads of people telling him that he'll never walk again.

Would still have him over Hutton at LB though.

You mean " He'll never walk alone"...if screwdriver is right.

Edited by TRO

3 minutes ago, KMitch said:

I've seen several Fiorentina games this season and Veretout is playing the same role as McGinn is for us.  He's much more of a "Box-To-Box" type player.

Him or McGinn could sit from play to play and the midfield would dominate.

1 minute ago, MaVilla said:

Absolutely amazing isn't it that a player who couldn't even get in our relegation year team due to Sherwood etc not liking them, are now playing well for a team like Fiorentina, so much talent we have wasted due to incompetent management.

Amazing.

He has been playing well enough to be linked to even bigger clubs than Fiorentina this window.  Honestly, I was surprised we even signed him in the first place.  It's such a shame that we had a clown like Sherwood managing the club that season.  Another manager would have kept us up and avoided signing garbage like Gestede and Lescott.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KMitch said:

He has been playing well enough to be linked to even bigger clubs than Fiorentina this window.  Honestly, I was surprised we even signed him in the first place.  It's such a shame that we had a clown like Sherwood managing the club that season.  Another manager would have kept us up and avoided signing garbage like Gestede and Lescott.

We'd still be in the Premier League now if we had Remi Garde from day 1 of pre-season that year.

We wouldn't have signed Richards, Lescott or Gestede.

We'd still have signed Veretout, Amavi and Gueye.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Absolutely amazing isn't it that a player who couldn't even get in our relegation year team due to Sherwood etc not liking them, are now playing well for a team like Fiorentina, so much talent we have wasted due to incompetent management.

Amazing.

I still laugh when I see Sherwood complain he wasn't given free rein on transfers during that summer. Two of the players he wanted and signed were Lescott and Richards. Possibly two of the poorest players ever to wear the shirt, thank f**k we didn't sign anyone else he wanted. The players he didn't want? Veretout, Amavi, Gueye and Ayew have all gone on to play at a decent level.

For me, Sherwood was the greatest scammer this club has ever seen and we are still paying the price of having him as manager. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Rico Henry would be a good signing if he over his injury problems. 

I don't know much about him by Smith obviously does so I'd be happy to see him come in. I'd be delighted to never see Hutton at LB again.

6 hours ago, jjaacckk91 said:

I'm sure I've heard Rico Henry's name every window for the last few years.

He's missed an awful lot of games due to injury the last couple years

We have had more links with him than he has had games for Brentford

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Herman22 said:

For me, Sherwood was the greatest scammer this club has ever seen and we are still paying the price of having him as manager. 

Dr Tony says "Hi"

Actually, that's a lie. He said...

💢💣🐞4+23,G🌷-🥧=💯

On topic, If we just sign a decent left back this window I will be happy, any more than that is a bonus. Be nice if we could shift a couple out as well. 

Edited by TheStagMan
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, MaVilla said:

Amazing.

He played lots under Garde, a manager who obviously could communicate with him much more easily.

There were glimpses but other times he was far too lightweight and slow. Similar to Gil.

Done well in Serie A but some players are better suited to other leagues and think he's one of them.

Gana was much better fit for premier league as he's gone on to prove at Everton.