January transfer (we need a whole new team) window 2019

sne

1 minute ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Let's be fair in this..

Many equally want him to do well and turn this around!

As do I, I think he will, he is an excellent manager who plays attacking and attractive football, we just need to give him time 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KMitch said:

Wasn't that the point of FFP?  To make an "even playing field" for Championship clubs?  Clubs without money massively outnumber clubs with money in the EFL, so obviously the rules will be in their favor if it's put to a vote.  Clubs like Brentford, who are well run and have a good scouting system, will end up profiting under FFP, while clubs like ours, who are a clown-car circus, end up getting screwed twice by our bad decisions.

It's ridiculous these rules we can't be expected to have same budgets like Rotherham and Wigan.  That's like united having the same as watford

Three things that are causing us to lose right now...

• Tactics - We played a deep line in a team which "defended first" under Bruce.  Smith wants us to play a high line, high press, attacking brand of football, which is almost as much of a flip in the opposite direction you can go.
  • Squad depth (or lack of it) - On paper, we have the best strikers and attacking midfielders in the league, but as we've all seen so far this season, that isn't the case.  Tammy & Jack are fantastic players, but all the other attacking players in our team are inconsistent and are probably overrated. At the other end of the pitch, our defensive depth is a joke and we should never have sent Elphick & De Laet out on loan.  
  • Fitness/Age - Smith's system requires a lot of effort and running from the players to close down the ball and press the opposition into making a mistake.  We did this for the first month or so, then key players got injured (Jack, Axel, & Taylor) and our lack of depth in key positions burnt our players out.  They've looked exhausted in the past two games.  I don't think we have a young enough team at the moment to play this style of football for an entire season.

Now, this leads Smith to make a key decision here:

Does he change the system he has been drip-feeding our players for the past two months and revert back to Bruceball to try to scrape points while resting our players?  Does he write off the season and blood the youth, who will go missing and make a lot of mistakes in games?  Does he persist with his style but tone down the intensity of training, to try to keep our players fresh for games, and wait for key players to come back into the side over the next 2 months?

I honestly think the 3rd choice is the best option at this point in time.  We can still make the playoffs this season, Grealish is due back in 3 games, and we still have a couple of weeks left to get a few players in this window.  As much as I don't think it's likely for us to get promoted this season, it's still possible if we put together a good run of wins in the last couple of months.  Most of us were writing off last season in October until we went on the run which led us to the playoff final.  If it becomes apparent that we're out of the running for the playoffs, I think it will be time to blood the U23s and get them exposure to playing regularly, to see who is an option for next season in the Championship.  Until that moment, I still want us to try and play the strongest possible team to attack and win.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

According to a host of journalists, and Y Clwb Pêl-Droed – an award winning website focusing on the Welsh Footballing Leagues – Aston Villa are one of three Championship clubs after the signature of Barry Town United’s Macauley Southam-Hales.

It would be a welcome move for the 22-year-old, who dropped down to semi-professional football in 2017 when he was released by Cardiff City. 

Southam-Hales, who initially played as a midfielder, has been retrained as a right-back more recently and has impressed for The Linnets this season across 20 appearances – and chipped in with a goal and a number of assists along the way.. more to follow

southamhales.jpg?fit=300,300

https://theclaretandview.com/2019/01/16/aston-villa-target-macauley-southam-hales/

1.43 - That outside foot pass😍

He looks like a player that DS would want to coach and improve.

He has the attributes to become our first choice full back for next season. He looks more of the modern day full back with vast amounts physical and technical ability.

If we  offload Elmo and Hutton it would be him and Bree next season.

1 hour ago, KMitch said:

Three things that are causing us to lose right now...

• Tactics - We played a deep line in a team which "defended first" under Bruce.  Smith wants us to play a high line, high press, attacking brand of football, which is almost as much of a flip in the opposite direction you can go.
  • Squad depth (or lack of it) - On paper, we have the best strikers and attacking midfielders in the league, but as we've all seen so far this season, that isn't the case.  Tammy & Jack are fantastic players, but all the other attacking players in our team are inconsistent and are probably overrated. At the other end of the pitch, our defensive depth is a joke and we should never have sent Elphick & De Laet out on loan.  
  • Fitness/Age - Smith's system requires a lot of effort and running from the players to close down the ball and press the opposition into making a mistake.  We did this for the first month or so, then key players got injured (Jack, Axel, & Taylor) and our lack of depth in key positions burnt our players out.  They've looked exhausted in the past two games.  I don't think we have a young enough team at the moment to play this style of football for an entire season.

Now, this leads Smith to make a key decision here:

Does he change the system he has been drip-feeding our players for the past two months and revert back to Bruceball to try to scrape points while resting our players?  Does he write off the season and blood the youth, who will go missing and make a lot of mistakes in games?  Does he persist with his style but tone down the intensity of training, to try to keep our players fresh for games, and wait for key players to come back into the side over the next 2 months?

I honestly think the 3rd choice is the best option at this point in time.  We can still make the playoffs this season, Grealish is due back in 3 games, and we still have a couple of weeks left to get a few players in this window.  As much as I don't think it's likely for us to get promoted this season, it's still possible if we put together a good run of wins in the last couple of months.  Most of us were writing off last season in October until we went on the run which led us to the playoff final.  If it becomes apparent that we're out of the running for the playoffs, I think it will be time to blood the U23s and get them exposure to playing regularly, to see who is an option for next season in the Championship.  Until that moment, I still want us to try and play the strongest possible team to attack and win.

Great post but you ruined it by calling Taylor a key player

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Reivax_Villa said:

https://theclaretandview.com/2019/01/16/aston-villa-target-macauley-southam-hales/

He has the attributes to become our first choice full back for next season. He looks more of the modern day full back with vast amounts physical and technical ability.

Barry Town? Crackin. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Barry Town? Crackin. 

To be fair these are the type of cheap signings that Smith has made in the past and turned them into good players. Only at Villa we should be able to keep hold of them when the bigger boys come calling. 

Smith had to deal with losing his best 3 or 4 players every year in the past, if he could have kept his best players then who knows what he could have achieved. 

6 minutes ago, Junxs said:

To be fair these are the type of cheap signings that Smith has made in the past and turned them into good players. Only at Villa we should be able to keep hold of them when the bigger boys come calling. 

Smith had to deal with losing his best 3 or 4 players every year in the past, if he could have kept his best players then who knows what he could have achieved. 

I think you missed it.  I shall drop a further hint

s-l640.jpg

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I think you missed it.  I shall drop a further hint

s-l640.jpg

I still don't get it if I'm honest.. 

I've been to Barry Island before but even then didn't realise "crackin" was some kind of slogan? 

1 hour ago, Reivax_Villa said:

Pace, pace and more pace.  You cannot coach that, get it in across the pitch, we go up

20 minutes ago, Junxs said:

I still don't get it if I'm honest.. 

I've been to Barry Island before but even then didn't realise "crackin" was some kind of slogan? 

I am guessing you have never seen Gavin and Stacey then.  You should as you are missing out! 

12 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I am guessing you have never seen Gavin and Stacey then.  You should as you are missing out! 

Nah sorry, that'll be why then lol

1 hour ago, Junxs said:

Great post but you ruined it by calling Taylor a key player

He's the only left back in the squad...  His backup is Hutton, and we all saw how that worked out for us.  He is a key player for us, only because we look so much weaker without him in the side.

• Like 1