January transfer (we need a whole new team) window 2019

sne

In order of importance, I think we still need:

- Left back  - that can defend (and attack). A poor mans Amavi would be perfect.

- CDM. An agile tough tackler than can also keep possession and recycle the ball. An FFP compliant Gueye please.

- CAM - An alternative for Jack the next time he gets hacked out for a period of games. Romaine Sawyers or a decent run of games for O’Hare to step up.

- CB - A huge, pacey man mountain that can pass the ball would be great. Failing that the boy from Wolves would be OK as fourth choice.

Outs

Definite - Elmo, Jedinak, Lansbury

Potentials - one of Kodjia or Hogan or anyone else that Steve Bruce is stupid enough to want and pay good money for after he gets the Wednesday job. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Troglodyte said:

He likes... music?!

Shit, he must be a right wrong-'un. Let's steer well clear.

Yeah that's what I said READ THE POST!! he has a life outside music where he produces music as well as football.

11 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

We need a defensive midfielder with legs. Conceding to many goals on the counter.  Hourihane lost his man for the first and second goal. 

Absolutely spot on! 

We constantly concede goals to runners from midfield. Hourihane simply isn't good enough defensively to play the deeper midfield role - he's slow and lacks strength besides not spotting danger. He's getting game time because of his goal threat and set piece delivery. I actually think McGinn would be better in the deep midfield role as he's naturally stronger, faster and more aggressive. He also shields the ball well. 

I dont know where that leaves Hourihane though. I guess they could swap roles? 

Obviously, the answer is to purchase a midfielder who can tackle, is physically up to that role and who can bring the ball out from the back. Hopefully, we can sort that out this month. 

We also need defenders that are more mobile and who can react quickly to danger. Full backs are also needed. 

14 hours ago, Indigo said:

Can't say I'm too familiar with Hause, the reports from Wolves fans are encouraging but at the same time I'd be a little bit quizzical as to just how good of a signing he is when he's barely had a sniff of first team football for the best part of two seasons now. He only played seven minutes of Championship football last season.

That aside it makes sense though. We desperately need numbers at CB and being left footed he'll offer more of a balance in that regard.

I remember a lad called cahill hardly getting a chance for 2 seasons. Not sure what he is up to now but I'm sure he had an ok career after he left 😉

Edited by Made In Aston
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

We need a defensive midfielder with legs. Conceding to many goals on the counter.  Hourihane lost his man for the first and second goal. 

In smith's system there is no DM. Hourihane has been playing as a deep lying playmaker,who is meant to dictate the tempo and have excellent distribution. Granted Conor hasn't really filled the role well and id like to see someone come in who can do the job better...but not the traditional DM 'with legs' you are suggesting. 

• Like 1

McGinn lost his man for Prestons goal although Hutton being in a different postcode to where he should have been didn't help. Its true runners from midfield is a weakness. Our defence is too. At least one good CDM will help a lot. As will a proper left back and left sided centre half.

16 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

In smith's system there is no DM. Hourihane has been playing as a deep lying playmaker,who is meant to dictate the tempo and have excellent distribution. Granted Conor hasn't really filled the role well and id like to see someone come in who can do the job better...but not the traditional DM 'with legs' you are suggesting. 

Really. I’d thought a player that covers a lot of ground in front of the back 2 would be crucial in this system.