Sir Doug Ellis

Eastie

4 minutes ago, Tegis said:

Pretty bloody close before he sold to Lerner. Make no mistake, we where in freefall at the time.

You are confusing the DE/Witton Lane stand with the demolished Trinity.

I have no problem doing both.

Ok sunshine...

• Thanks 1

I started following Villa as a preteen in the early 90's, at the time I was only focused on the football side. The owner or chairman was not anything I reflected about, but just took for granted. I probably didn't understand his role and didn't get that the results on the pitch could be the derived to the owner. Doug was my first Villa chairman and owner, to me he still feels like the only genuine Villa chairman I have had. Compared to the next two owners we have had he always felt like the good hearted father figure who was part of the heritage of the club. I have since read much about him and heard many opinions and I don't disregard them in any way. I have never met him, but his name still gives me a warm feeling as I associate him with Villa, being the chairman of my club. Seeing him in the stands until the very end watching his Villa was warming to see.

I hope I can attend the next game to greet Dean Smith and to pay tribute to Doug Ellis and show respect to his family.  

Edited by Keener window-cleaner
  • Like 4

I grew up with a lot of mixed feeling about Doug because of some of the players we never signed during his tenure - I remember being dissapointed we never signed Kevin Drinkell, Juninho, Robbie Keane the list goes on - but one thing you cannot question is his passion for Villa - even if you want to question his motives - I can say this for certainty there is no way we would be in this mess under Doug's stewardship - he simply would not have allowed it to - Bruce would not have got away with his dross for so long either imo 

• Like 2

RIP Doug. 

FFIW it's important to be respectful on a personal level, but it's not disrespectful to discuss his impact on Villa.

He isn't view fondly from a footballing perspective for all that many people but as a person there are some nice stories of his kindness in this thread.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Dave J said:

I grew up with a lot of mixed feeling about Doug because of some of the players we never signed during his tenure - I remember being dissapointed we never signed Kevin Drinkell, Juninho, Robbie Keane the list goes on - but one thing you cannot question is his passion for Villa - even if you want to question his motives - I can say this for certainty there is no way we would be in this mess under Doug's stewardship - he simply would not have allowed it to - Bruce would not have got away with his dross for so long either imo 

Who on earth was Kevin Drinkell unless that's a typo?!

Yeah the Robbie Keane one still disappoints me to this day, exactly what we needed at the time (Carbone came in on loan that season and did a good job but Keane was just better). Didn't JG actually say he was the one who didn't think he was worth more. To my knowledge he hasn't backtracked on that claim since?

Personally don't think Juninho would've done much. He broke his leg at Atletico Madrid and was never the same force afterwards. In any case we signed Dublin and Merson for big money a few months earlier anyway. If Shearer had been available at the time he'd have probably someone Doug would've broken the bank for.

Bit of context aswell, JG wanted Muzzy Izzet in his final season for would you believe 15m (this was 2001 when prices weren't stupid). He retired from injury two years later so works both ways.

When you look back last 10 years we have wasted ridiculous amounts on players so just spending 50m + as the call was in those times dosen't guarentee anything. We saw as much when we signed Collymore and everyone thought that was the marquee signing we needed and it was the complete opposite.

Every day history judges the last 10 years of his reign here more favourably I'd suggest.

Mr Aston Villa, as far as I'm concerned. He made mistakes, sometimes to Villas detriment but I'm sure he had his regrets. 

I remember his travel agent, tv commercials back in the seventies with him sitting on a desk selling his product. He must of been some shrewd business man, he certainly knew how to make a few quid. I'll miss his love for the club which was immense, for me, it's a sad day, especially coming so quick after the joy of yesterday. 

RIP old man.

Edited by sheepyvillian
  • Like 1

Having had a few hours to take this in, I'm ready to say a few words...... Doug Ellis was one of my earliest memories of Villa, mainly passed on by my late Dad. He lived through both versions  of him being chairman . Regardless of your personal opinion of him he was Villa through and through and everything he did (right or wrong) was for the best for Villa, or at least what he believed was the best. We certainly wouldn't be worried about FFP under him for one thing. My other half met him a few times and always said he was polite and respectful to her, unlike some other people she came across in her work. I didn't agree with naming a stand after him but I would gladly see it changed to the Sir Doug Ellis Stand in his memory. He deserves his position in our history. We have lost many Villa heroes in my time and although he didn't score the goals or wear the shirt he should be remembered the same as those that did.

Villa won't be the same without him and no cabbage throwing muppet will change that. RIP Doug, you will be missed

• Like 1

7 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Who on earth was Kevin Drinkell unless that's a typo?!

Yeah the Robbie Keane one still disappoints me to this day, exactly what we needed at the time (Carbone came in on loan that season and did a good job but Keane was just better). Didn't JG actually say he was the one who didn't think he was worth more. To my knowledge he hasn't backtracked on that claim since?

Personally don't think Juninho would've done much. He broke his leg at Atletico Madrid and was never the same force afterwards. In any case we signed Dublin and Merson for big money a few months earlier anyway. If Shearer had been available at the time he'd have probably someone Doug would've broken the bank for.

Bit of context aswell, JG wanted Muzzy Izzet in his final season for would you believe 15m (this was 2001 when prices weren't stupid). He retired from injury two years later so works both ways.

When you look back last 10 years we have wasted ridiculous amounts on players so just spending 50m + as the call was in those times dosen't guarentee anything. We saw as much when we signed Collymore and everyone thought that was the marquee signing we needed and it was the complete opposite.

Every day history judges the last 10 years of his reign here more favourably I'd suggest.

Kevin Drinkell was a target man - Adrian Heath was crying out for this at that time.

i can't quite remember if he was with Rangers or Coventry at this time - I'm sure @TRO will be able to recall who.

As for Robbie Keane - you may have a point about JG going public about the extra 500k - not sure I bought it then either.

Juniniho - we'll never know - but just because he broke a leg in Spain is immaterial - it's how we baulked at the transfer that wrankled at the time ??

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Dave J said:

Kevin Drinkell was a target man - Adrian Heath was crying out for this at that time.

i can't quite remember if he was with Rangers or Coventry at this time - I'm sure @TRO will be able to recall who.

As for Robbie Keane - you may have a point about JG going public about the extra 500k - not sure I bought it then either.

Juniniho - we'll never know - but just because he broke a leg in Spain is immaterial - it's how we baulked at the transfer that wrankled at the time ??

JG said he decided not to go for Keane and Doug had given him the ok to get him , however Gregory said on watching him again at wolves he found it odd that wolves fans were urging him to buy Keane and it was then that JG decided not to proceed with things .