Sir Doug Ellis

Eastie

5 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

I went to school with NV and, although he is a good lad, he isn't a posh hugh grant type by any means ??

Don’t worry nobody called NV posh.... I was on the end of that one but NV debunked that quick enough. Now wondering if we went to school together as I went to school with NV...

1 minute ago, TrentVilla said:

Don’t worry nobody called NV posh.... I was on the end of that one but NV debunked that quick enough. Now wondering if we went to school together as I went to school with NV...

If you went to secondary school with him then you will have done. He was in 'C' and i was in 'E'. 

As with all of the deepest relationships you have in life, Doug’s time with Villa was full of the usual ups and downs. His commitment to that relationship with villa, though, was never in question.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and our most recent owners have given us food for thought.  It’s foolish to think that our readings of history can’t change based on our context. At the time of the Robbie Keane/Muzzy Izzet thing, I was furious with Doug and couldn’t wait for Randy to take over. Overall, though, he clearly committed himself to the club and that is something that I’ll always respect. 

More than anything, this is a time to think of Doug’s family. Whatever our thoughts on the man, there’s a family that is grieving today for a father, grandfather, uncle etc who has passed away. A little respect is therefore desirable, even if that’s just for today. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, wilko154 said:

After the last 10 years and succession of owners failing to look after the basic needs of Aston Villa Football Club and almost running the club into the ground, you have to appreciate the way Doug ran the club when he was in charge. He had his shortcomings as an owner but no one can take away from him the love he had for the club.

RIP Doug

Spot on....I said as much the other day on here.  We were never saw such dire financial problems under his ownership.  He also appointed some good managers and won a trophy or two along the way!

RIP Sir Doug 

• Like 1

I was fond of the occasions I would spot his car, with the iconic AV1 reg plate, at games be they home or away. Perhaps the last time I saw it was a the playoff final? His blood truly ran claret and blue. RIP Dead Doug.

Rest in Peace Doug.

He enjoyed his life and Villa was a huge part of it, because of the platform for fame that it gave him.

He enjoyed being "Mr Villa" and milked it for all it was worth, but in his own patriarchal style he considered Aston Villa his home, and loved it.

I wanted Doug out and shouted it vociferously on many occasions, but he's out lasted me as a Villa regular and I'm 25 years younger.

I shook hands with him on the day he introduced MON to the press and he was bursting with pride, even though he knew his days as Villa supremo were over.

Doug was a vain arrogant man who never the less had a very charitable side to him away from Villa. For all his many faults he will remain a large part of our history.

As Trent said, the timing of his passing is typically "Doug". He loved to grab the limelight.

• Like 2