Sir Doug Ellis

Eastie

I remember back around 1991 pro set cards were all the rage, Villa were doing a card giveaway at the end of one of the home games , me , my mum and one of my mates stayed behind to try and get some only to find in typical Villa style it was extremely badly organised and it got a bit messy a lot of kids getting crushed and we came away rather disappointed. My Mum wrote an angry letter to Doug complaining about it all , Doug wrote an apology letter including 3 tickets to the last game of the season against Chelsea in the upper north stand in which we drew 2-2 having been 2 nil down at half time (2 goals from Cascorino who'd of thought that).

It was good of Doug to of written back to us and even better to of given us free tickets.

There were always times that I felt he was holding us back but at the same time I've always felt that in our current situation I don't think we'd of got relegated with him in charge (before you say it , yes I know we got relegated in the 80's under him). 

RIP Doug

Sad news indeed, my old Uncle use to cut his hair back in the day and he use to talk all things Villa with him.

Looking back, for all the crap the fans gave him (justified or not) he didn't do bad at all running the club considering how things have been since he sold the club. Hope the fans show him ultimate respect. 

Edited by MachoFantastico
  • Like 2

love him or loathe him, he always appeared to do the best for Villa....i think..

Amongst other things, I'll remember the managers getting the ''come round and look at the roses in my garden'' call only to get the sack.

RIP Deadly Doug

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

I'm unusual in that my formative years as a young fan were spent in the warmth and comfort of the the William McGregor Suite in the old Trinity Road Stand

I always had the feeling you were a posh bloke ?

RIP Doug.  By all accounts your charity work was exceptional, and people I admire such as Brian Little speak highly of you as a man.

Your stewardship of AVFC is a fitting reflection of the club as a whole, really.  Never quite reached the heights it should have, despite plenty of opportunities.

That said you'll always be a legend in my eyes, if only for having the bollocks to give the Queen a copy of your autobiography  :crylaugh:

Sir Doug Ellis Standers In The Sky

• Like 1