Sir Doug Ellis

Eastie

Loathe him.....hate him or ambiguous ..... (I’m in the first category) he is part of our history like it or not.... from a personal perspective I thought today’s dawn of a new era was a fitting send off to a a man who did so much for us in many ways but also was so destructive .... history should not rewrite itself on that point either. However, today is not the day for any of that...  Doug RIP.... Holte Ender in the Sky ! 

On 16/10/2018 at 22:18, dont_do_it_doug. said:

You won't find many people under the age of 40, who up until fairly recently, disliked Ellis as much as me. I went on all the marches as a teenager, I rallied against his every move, against the revisionist history of his reign. I thought he was a penny pincher and a narcissist who put his own interests above those of the club, above those of it's fans. In my older age I have come to think he wasn't such a bad football club owner, certainly not as bad a human being as I once thought after all. Maybe it is whimsical notions like actually challenging for league titles, cup finals and putting trophies in the cabinet that have changed my mind. Or perhaps it was seeing his roller at away games in the depths of winter, knowing I could barely stand to watch the bilge on display in the driving snow never mind what a trudge it must be for a 90 year old man. Maybe I have become the revisionist. 

He wasn't necessarily a bad bloke, he was a bloke who made bad decisions at often the most inappropriate times and he outstayed his welcome by quite a few years all told, but in the end that isn't enough for me to sit here and disparage the man personally. A man who gave so much to charity, decades of his life to the club (good and bad) and as painfully misguided as he was at times genuinely thought he was doing what was required to make Aston Villa successful. Even if I have no doubt that personal success, financial or otherwise, was never too far from his mind. 

One thing he could do was spot a football manager. Ron Saunders, Ron Atkinson, Brian Little, John Gregory. Even Jozef Venglos can be looked on as an innovative move by a man determined to squeeze every ounce out of our resources. I would go as far as to say Dean Smith feels very much like an Ellis appointment. 

Ultimately he leaves behind a wife, a family, and my condolences go out to them. I hope they take solace from the fact he had a bloody good innings and more importantly he lived his dream, even if those dreams didn't always tally with my own. 

What a great post! That's exactly how I viewed Sir Doug. Definitely a 'marmite man' always kept us financially sound if nothing else! His worst decision was destroying the beautiful Trinity Road stand! RIP Sir Doug 

17 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I showed the man the minimum level of courtesy and joined in with the minute;'s applause, but the Holte End singing "there's only one Doug Ellis" made me feel a little unwell, frankly.

Yes, I felt a bit uneasy hearing the Holte sing that. He fully deserved a decent send off though. 

46 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I showed the man the minimum level of courtesy and joined in with the minute;'s applause, but the Holte End singing "there's only one Doug Ellis" made me feel a little unwell, frankly.

So many people don't really remember now. My lad is 16 and just assumed he was a great Villa man. 

I gave the applause and left it at that. 

• Like 1