Dean Smith

Demitri_C

3 hours ago, sne said:

Not jumping on Smith's back here but I thought Bournemouth had a very clear tactical idea against us that worked really well for them.

They put our CB's, mainly Mings who we want to distribute the ball under pressure and almost marked him out so that he had to punt the ball. He did so mainly towards the center of the pitch where they had Billings who was always going to win most of the ball in the air. It wasn't perhaps a tactical masterstroke by Howe but it was a simple thing that caused us a lot of trouble. We could have mitigated some of this by simple distributed the ball towards the flanks rather than the middle but we didn't sadly. 

I think Hause helped enhance their gameplean no end to be fair.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I think Hause helped enhance their gameplean no end to be fair.

Yeah they both had poor (68 & 71) passing %, both a fair bit better than Konsa (61%) thou.

• Like 1

On 01/02/2020 at 22:38, nick76 said:

We got promoted from nowhere last season.

We lost most of our squad so had to have a complete new squad for the PL

We started ok, then had a major blip but have turned it around with something like 3 wins, 2 draws and a loss until another loss today.  We didn’t have a back up striker and we didn’t have a striker for a few games until Samatta came in which wasn’t Smiths fault but Suso from what we can gather.

We are in a cup final and not in the bottom three after two thirds of the season.  Our realistic target this season was to avoid relegation and we are on target for that after being the worst team promoted last season.

Smith is doing a fantastic job, yes still learning and making mistakes but to replace him just seems absurd after what we have achieved and are achieving over the last 12 months.

This is where we were this time last season

99F058F4-8733-4E6F-ACD3-2EF09EDDE238.jpeg

I'm still on Smiths side but i do have some issues: 

1) To say we had no other striker when Wesley got injured is just plain wrong we had Kodjia (who with the scraps he was given had no chance of getting anywhere near match fit) but for some reason Smith wouldn't pick even though the complaints regarding Kodjias play could easily be described to use for Wesley. For me that says Smith is stubborn and will use an excuse to not pick a player he doesn't like even  though the player he keeps picking is pretty much the same.  IMO had Wesley not got injured we weren't going to sign a striker (despite it being obvious we needed one even with a fit Wesley) which is why it took so long to get one.

2) The experience i'm sorry but we are now in February this for me is no longer an excuse we should be at least showing some signs we are learning for me we are not.

3) The formation change this is the thing that scares me the most in an interview after Burnley away Smith said that we had to change the formation because of McGinns injury,  433 wasn't working even when McGinn was playing so that says to me if McGinn hadn't got injured he'd still be sticking with 433 which everyone could see wasn't working.

Edited by Stuartc445

We knew it was going to be hard.

He's been given players not good enough for which I have sympathy.

I flit between thinking he should be doing better and thinking he's got absolutely no chance because of the lack of ability in the squad.

With Jack Grealish...he's got something no team outside the top three has anything near IMO. He'd walk into every other side in the league and be key attacking threat for any of the top three as well. Smith must do more to get him in games. 

We've seen Jack will force himself into games if needs be, but we need to give him more freedom. Moving him central in front of a midfield two, behind a front two seems such an obvious move, especially now we have three strikers to pick from.

I don't honestly believe he likes any system apart from the 433, but the midfielders we have are totally unequipped to play it. Either no legs, or no ability to use the ball.

One thing I'm sure on is he will be our manager first game of next season. 

1 hour ago, TheAuthority said:

Exactly how I saw it. 

I also thought he should have changed to 4-3-3 after about 15 mins when it was obvious Billings was about 3 feet taller and 3 times stronger than Nakamba. Taking off one of the center backs and putting on an extra midfielder would have at least got us competing for the 2nd ball.

When they went down to 10 I would have brought on Hourihane who links up well with Jack when we have more possession. If those two shots by Nakamba were Hourihane I would back him to have tested the keeper with both.  But it's always easy to say these things from the comfort of our armchairs.

It was clear we were second best first half.

He was gifted the chance the change it with Konsa getting injured.

He's got so little faith in so many of our players and I don't think I blame him to be honest. Not good enough.

I hope he changes back to a 4-3-3 or try a 4-4-2. The way we are pressed back makes our current line-up a 5-3-2, and we still concede too many goals. 
Davis-samatta could be a good attacking duo with a target man a someine who makes the runs. Play Jack on the left and trez/AEG on the right.

he has to try something, because though results have been decent, they’re not great either and when we’re all defending while still conceding, we lack bodies up front.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, AXD said:

I hope he changes back to a 4-3-3 or try a 4-4-2. The way we are pressed back makes our current line-up a 5-3-2, and we still concede too many goals. 
Davis-samatta could be a good attacking duo with a target man a someine who makes the runs. Play Jack on the left and trez/AEG on the right.

he has to try something, because though results have been decent, they’re not great either and when we’re all defending while still conceding, we lack bodies up front.

I also hope he goes to four at the back but more of a 4-1-2-2-1 with the midfield narrow. Full backs bomb on and provide the width with the two in front of the midfield anchor covering the full back poisitons if needed. a bit AC Milan used to do in the early 2000's if you know what I mean.

Reina

Guilbert   Engels      Mings     Targett

Drinkwater

Douglas L.      Nakamba

El Ghazi                   Grealish

Samatta

I have Drinkwater there becuase I think he has better distribution than Nakamba and Nakamba is more of a sitting midfielder covering the left side for breaks. No idea if that would be succesful or not.

Edited by sparrow1988

22 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

I agree what Wilder has done at Sheff Utd has been developed and they have a real team ethic and that does indeed come from the training ground. It has been developed over a number of years though and not with a turnover in one summer of over 25 players and then straight away trying to compete in one of the hardest leagues in the world.

I am more than happy to heap as much praise as you want, and some, on Wilder. I am though just as happy to heap praise on Smith who in his 15 months here has done a very good job all things considered. Even with regard to this season I think you can see that. It is just a little confusing though that on the one hand you say that you expected us to struggle and be about where we are but on the other hand you seem really disappointed that we haven't exceeded your expectations and only met them. 

Not quite right in your view of what I am saying.....I am more disappointed in some of our play, things that haven't been addressed or not consistenly any way.

i have just read a report, where the author/ journalist claims we lost it in midfield, where were out muscled by Billing, Lerma and Gosling.....in physical comparison, ours are lightweight and the ones on the bench lightweight too.....we need a powerhouse, in midfield, but we keep signing modestly built midfielders who get easily out muscled....its not so bad if they are smallish, but top class, but they are not.

The errors were defensive, but the midfield let the opposition in with there passive play.

I am on the fence with Dean.....the ten game run got us up and that was consistent, but since then consistency is sparse.....i am not advocating, get rid of him, but I am not convinced with the BMH work either.

If what you say, we need more time to gel, I can't argue......but we will see.

I can think of about 5/6 that are arguably not premiership quality and thats not counting hourihane and Lansbury....whether, they improve and come good, i can only speculate.

Edited by TRO

2 hours ago, Tumblerseven said:

I would like to see 5-3-2  two strikers is a must i think im tired looking at that horible issolation upfront.  Push midfield upfront let them create wide and our fullbacks more in the middle.

Our most successful period in my time as a fan was playing 5-3-2. 

• Like 2

I have faith in Dean. We saw last season what Dean could do with a team that was clearly quality for the division. This season it's been a lot harder. A lot of our players are still very inconsistent and only have shown flashes of quality. You could even see earlier in the season when we have our full team fit, we were a good team but lacked the experience to close out matches. 

I am not shifting all the blame off Dean because he has made questionable subs/decisions this season, but you also have to look at our team and recognize this is not a top 10 team yet. 

I'm hoping we can pull through this season and continue to build, but Dean needs some more ready to go players. 

21 hours ago, romavillan said:

Ok but in the previous games we had that in spades, and we were doing more running, working harder, being first to the second ball, all of that. We didn't do it against Bournemouth. It's not like you've never seen us do it though right?!

No we didn't do it in spades....but yes we did it at times.

we didn't do it against Southampton or Watford away and yes, we had a go at Turf Moor.We made Man City look better than was necessary and we didn't do it against Leicester in the league......we don't do it more than we do.

We are Inconsistent.....but when we come up against the size of Billing, gosling & Lerma in midfield, we struggle to get to grips.....its been the case for some time.

its not rocket science, we need more power in midfield....just quoting one thing, thats holding us back.

Jack is literally carrying this team.....so what does that say about the rest, he is one of our only players that looks comfortable on the ball.....for the spend we have made, i would have expected one or two more to be comfortable with the ball and have a first touch under pressure....sorry if thats expecting too much.

but we have what we have, so we just have to put up with it now.....and get behind them.

3 hours ago, AXD said:

3-5-2 imo

23 hours ago, Graham t said:

We are not 'making 'a good fist of it', we are struggling. The reason we were the second highest spenders in the Premiership was to ensure that we survived. That is a long way from being certain, indeed it looks tenuous at best. Put yourself in the owners position, if the club spent £146 million on players ( of 'your money' ) in the summer and then got relegated I imagine you would be very unhappy and would be asking how this could happen. As a successful football club/ business we need to be moving forward .

That's not how it works. We've spent the majority of that money just treading water as the team that finished 5th in the Championship. I'm sure the owners are under no illusion that safety was the goal and by no means is it a guarantee.

22 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

I agree, basic requirements like being first to the ball etc shouldn’t ever be an issue, but unfortunately they are things that we do inconsistently. I’m not sure what the reason is but, with the exception of possibly only Liverpool this season, I’m pretty sure pubs, workplaces and forums like this will be full of fans of every club asking the same questions. No coaches or players at this level need to learn these skills and yet there are times when they go inexplicably missing.

The only explanation I can think of, is that football teams are made up of humans and are not computer generated. So like in every profession people have good days and bad days. It may be as simple as the bloke you’re up against woke up this morning feeling on top of the world and you had a row with the wife and trod in some dog sh1t on the way to the car. Humans, you can never tell what they’re going to do. 

Well said Dave.....yes I accept that, but it is the coaches jobs to get them prepared and up for games like this, particulary, whe confidence is high.

but the trick is to improve and that means improve consistency as we all know.

I have to say I am not enamered with the attempt to improve midfield this window, but Accept January is difficult.

I also think whilst taking a reasonable view to progress, it is just as easy to be complacent and find excuses for everything.

22 hours ago, Graham t said:

Yes I appreciate that players need time to 'gell'. But when we lose , which Is often, the Manager repeatedly complains that the players aren't working hard enough without, apparently, realising that it is his job to ensure that players compete at 100% intensity. You don't need the most gifted players to survive in the Premiership, you need players who work harder than the opposition and are well coached so that they know what to do and when to do it. Not ,as they say, rocket science....

Regards,

VLD.

I think you are spot on.

If we have aspirations of top half, you need better quality......A team with reasonable quality, but have a right good go, could get half way.

We have arguably the best attacking midfielder in the country, who applies himself, like one of us would do.....so what are the rest doing?.....our workrate, desire, will, is inconsistent....i want to see that improve.

Edited by TRO

Changing back to four at the back would be the worst thing we could do, why on earth we'd change things after finally finding some form and improving defensively, just because of one bad result I'm not sure. The 343 formation has also given us some much needed stability personnel wise in the starting line-up as well, as we now know pretty much who's going to play, whereas before whilst plyaing 433, we didn't know who was going to play in defence, and midfield from one game to the next.

• Like 1

Â