Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, El-Reacho said:

The only case for keeping Smith on now is that he was able to break us out of a poor run at the start of this year - where we were almost as rudderless as this (relative to the league we were in). If we can get a Mings type signing in in January (likely a striker this time) - maybe we can put a run together just enough to get us out of it. He's a streaky manager.

Yeah - but Grealish came back - and mings was a £25m CB playing in the championship.

To repeat that in the prem we probably need to sign 3 players costing £30m each - from what I hear nothing like that is happening.

8 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I've honestly never seen great football under Smith, not the sort we expected. He has never set us up with a high press and with lots of movement off the ball. 

Best I’ve seen under smith were his brentford side against villa - he did well to get us up but he and Suso have recruited very badly 

Just now, Keyblade said:

We spent 3 years trying to move away from the model that crippled us and got us relegated, and now we want to slide back into that at the first sign of trouble. I don't understand it.

Which model is that?

• Thanks 1

Just now, Keyblade said:

We spent 3 years trying to move away from the model that crippled us and got us relegated, and now we want to slide back into that at the first sign of trouble. I don't understand it.

Absolutely bang on and exactly what I was just trying to say in my previous post. Thanks for summing it up better than I did.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Do we really value short term survival (not even guaranteed) over a long term strategy? Let's just cycle through outdated firefighter managers to simply keep us in the league and sign a mish mash of their own players leaving a weak unbalanced squad that eventually does drop after circling the drain for a couple of years. I feel like I've seen this story play out before, can't put my finger on where.

I forgive David O'Leary now to be honest, he was actually right on the money. If we can't give a Villa fan who got us promoted against all odds, playing the best football we've seen at Villa Park for decades time to try to turn this around, I really do despair. We really would be doing a Fulham.

I was upset in the match thread, but really this is how I see it. I sure as hell hope DS can turn this around and even if he can't then what's to say he couldn't be our Sean Dyche? but he really needs to pull out some magic out of his bag now.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Blasterpocket68 said:

whats the strategy?

same thing week in week out! I'm all for giving DS time if we can see some improvement. This has been coming for weeks , Norwich outplayed us FFS. We deploy the same tatics week in week out! It simply cant continue if we want any chance of survival . ( That has to be our first strategy)  If we continue in the same vane of nice old DS were relegated full stop!

I'm not for knee jerk reactions but something has to change NOW. If  (and its a big if given the players we have at our disposal) we can attract a fire fighter manager that keeps us in the League surly that's a good strategy to want for our club rather than another 2-3 years adrift in the championship where the gap between us and the premiership mid table teams grows even further  .  

Norwich are currently outplaying Spurs, not sure what that indicates since we got the 3 points.

If we stay up on goal difference, that would be a success. As it stands we're a point off that goal with half the season still to be played. It's not time to panic just yet.

7 minutes ago, useless said:

I hate to break it to people but Allardyce is actually a good manager and would probably be the best manager we've had since O'Neill, and I don't particulary want Allardyce, he's just nowhere near as bad as people are making out, by far.

He is good atwhat he does but puts clubs backwards 5 years. We would be in better shape long term going down with Smith than having Allardyce keep us up for 6 months

• Like 3

Â