Dean Smith

Demitri_C

honestly, we needed 6 points, possibly even 9 points versus Watford, Norwich and Southampton, in the last 3 games.

we got 3, absolutely not good enough, i honestly think we are going down now, we lost 2/3 games against the teams immediately with us in the relegation zone, in the critical December run of games, says it all for me to be honest.

Edited by MaVilla

He’s got to go!! Tonight! these owners will really impress me if they do the right thing for the club and sack him, now. 
He will take us down, just not good enough at this level.

He should go now, he will go down in history as a legend for getting us promoted but it’s the right time to get rid now for the benefit of the club

Question to all - replace him with who? 

Who can you see coming in and making that lot better? Who will have the impact to find one of Luiz, Nakamba or Hourihane good enough to sit in front of the back four? Who will they pick at full back? Who will be behind the striker? Who will play as the striker? Who will play out wide? It's so easy to criticise but whoever comes in may get the same players to work with that Smith has and the changes may not come. 

We came up via an amazing run of results and play-off final win - we didn't romp the Championship!

He will go home tonight and be gutted by that. But, that's what he's got to work with. An average of £11m per player in a league where Ayoze costs £30m and sits on the bench. Joelinton costs £40m+ and can't hit a barn door from a yard. 

We are one of three new teams in the league and the other two get to pick from the players that got them up automatically. We are having to pick a team from a squad that includes 11 new players and needing the bulk of them to form our starting eleven. 

What if we sack Smith, bring in Ranieri, go down, sack him, then try to get back up with someone like Chris Houghton as manager with McGinn, Grealish, Mings, Heaton gone etc? 

3 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I want Deano to stay on even if we go down. 

We finally got a man that wants to play expansive modern football. He is genuine and doesn't hide even when it goes tough. And it's tough now, we all know that. Getting in a new manager or old clogger, and reversing what we're trying to become simply cause we are having a rough patch is just moronic and how you never reach the levels you wanna be. 

Ultimately we got too many players that aren't good enough. Hourihane, Lansbury, Jota, Elmo are just crap and never PL level players. It's obviously hard for us and Deano when we have to ask someone to better than what they are. Doesn't matter what name the manager has when these are our squad players. 

Lets hope we get in the right players in January and can move on from this bad spell, much like we did last season.

I am not saying Deano doesn't have lots to learn, but that's how it is. I don't want to be the type of club that sacks a manager after signing a brand new team after promotion, simply cause you aren't melting away the opposition after 6 months. That to me is absolute lunacy.

Not that I suspect this will land with the kneejerk on here now, but we are just 2 points from safe ground. Half the season to go. 

Enjoy your Holidays. Lots of football coming up between now and 12th of January...

It's one thing to want it, it's another thing to deliver it. Smith is not delivering it, we are million miles off this. He's not delivering it because he can't at this level. We're seeing no foundations being laid to play this sort of football, there's no high press, no intensity, no good movement off the ball. It's clear that 'expansive football' is not something that's being drilled in to these players on the training pitch.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I like Smith.

His time should be up. It's not going to be, we aren't sacking a manager a month after giving him a new 4 year contract, but he's lost whatever there was to his management. I don't think we were that good last year and it took a completely obscene run of form to get promotion, but now we look clueless. Some, maybe a lot, of it is undoubtedly naive recruitment in the summer, we needed more in attack. But we're also just not doing much right right now. Defensively we're soft, attack wise we're limp, we can't go past a player and we can't pass.

There needs to be enormous improvement AND significant incomings in Jan to save things. Instead I expect us to limp on, get a couple of loans to cover some cracks, and when that doesn't work sack Smith in a March when it's just about last chance saloon. Or he's safe no matter what, in which case the season is a write off.

It's nice liking the manager, I'm with you.

Quite why we're so much worse than the start of the season doesn't really make sense.

Points are pretty tight to be honest. Not like we're cut adrift. We won't need many points to stay up this year, the bottom 12 or 13 could probably go down this season.

If he was to go it's his own fault. He's flat out refusing to try anything different.

Players are too scared to play his football. The players he's been given are not good enough. Disastrous recruitment. We've signed a potent mix of talented cowards and players who aren't good enough for the top end of the Championship.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I’m not ready to call for his head yet. 

But if Benitez was a genuine possibility then we’d be mad not to explore it

What about poch?

Wonder if he could be tempted by the promise of spending big.

• Haha 2

Let’s be honest, if we sack him it’s gonna big Sam. I’m not buying or selling here, but for the owners he knows the league, knows how to get teams out of trouble and is available. It’s a no-brainer (as a sticking plaster).

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

The Brentford fans warned us about Smith's defensive history.

You get what you pay for.

It’s against the rules to abuse posters on here, but if it was allowed I’ve got a vocabulary learnt on the construction sites of England plus additions I’d make up for you personally that I would love to unleash here. Never mind perhaps another time another place. Enjoy your evening and don’t forget your Kleenex. 

• Haha 1

Â