Dean Smith

Demitri_C

24 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Completely agree with this, the amount of times we lofted the ball forward is just stupid and then when he did get it there was nobody close to play to.  Even seen him coming to the right side of the pitch at the half way line to get involved.  He's far from the player we need but we arent making his life easy.

I agree with the both of you, we are finding it so tough to create space at time, so we end up passing the ball about then when the pressure is on we hoof it forward, our defenders just get rid and the ball its lost.

Goofing the ball up the pitch has to be stopped, no way we have a fast enough forward to chase hoof balls all game long and make something out of nothing.

We have seen even from the cross early on that Wes is more likely to score from goals along the floor, he nearly got on the end of one. Personally at this moment in time I think we're asking a miracle from Wesley or any striker we bring in untill our crossing gets better, our delivery's are just pants.

I'm starting to think that it's showing that some of our signings are not fitting in right, in what were trying to do, we have a feeding problem. Our wingers they either have speed yet no skill or have skill yet no speed and it shows.

Despite all that, I do have high hopes about our players, I feel it's still to early to fully tell, but for me as well I think January it's absoloute a must that the next wave of transfers we get 100% right and we buy players who will not have any downtime for bedding in, come Jan we won't have time for any messing around and go go go will and should be the message I'm sure of it.

32 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

There is definitely something seriously wrong with how we've been playing, that makes it really easy for other teams to set up against us. 

The manner in which we've fallen to defeat has become all to familliar. Its ridiculously easy for our opponents to restrict our play and get the ball back, and it looks like this remains true even when we play different players or change the formations. There is something wrong with how these players have been coached to play.

I look back at that Norwich game, and I find that game particularly insightful as to how we play and how dominant we were. Norwich did not even try to restrict how we played the game, instead their entire strategy was basically trying to outscore us. Were it not for Tyrone Mings and our superior quality up front, we could've easily lost that game. But when teams play rigidly  against us we seem hopeless and seem to rely too much on a moment of magic from someone like Grealish, Mcginn or our wingers. 

At the very least, I think opposition teams know how to set up against us and unless Smith does something about it, we might be in for a world of hurt for some time. Because whatever he's doing now is clearly not working. Its just upsetting to see us lose in a similar manner again and again as if nothing has been learned from the previous games.

That first goal we had eveeyone in front of goal, like the pundit said we really should of had someone on edge of the box ready to take the ball away and not get a proper shot off like he did. We got done yet again by the fact someone wasn't where they should of been, whoever it was we should of had someone collecting that ball for the first goal.

I'd say the long balls is a huge problem to us loosing the balls and a complete loss of possession. Seriously what is the point of us passing it around 10 plus times to get it Into midfield then someone hits the long pass and it ends up in the lap of the opposition, it in does all that passing work and annoys the rest of the team because it puts us on defence alert.

We're smarter than this, we've seen some very sweet play at times in past matches, but today in the first half it looked as though we were no where near confident as we were in the second half, you could really see the difference.

After the promise of last few weeks today was back to the naive early weeks.

A few teams this season have switched to 3 at the back to nulify Wolves and get results. Might be worth thinking about that when we play them at VP.

Our 4-3-3 was brutally exposed.

Also didn't get Lansbury coming on as final sub ahead of Hourihane or Kodjia. We were still only 1-0 down at that point.

Our most convincing play this season has been with Grealish floating in front 3. Maybe we'd have stuck with it if Jota had been deemed match fit.

Too easy for Wolves today.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Also, another thing. Our propensity to concede goals in the final minutes of the match strikes again. Its definitely an issue since even the commentators mentioned it, we've conceded the amount of goals in the final minutes of a game more than any other team in the league. The good news is we also seem to be good at scoring late goals though

That’s a fitness issue and also because we are usually chasing games

11 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

After the promise of last few weeks today was back to the naive early weeks.

A few teams this season have switched to 3 at the back to nulify Wolves and get results. Might be worth thinking about that when we play them at VP.

Our 4-3-3 was brutally exposed.

Also didn't get Lansbury coming on as final sub ahead of Hourihane or Kodjia. We were still only 1-0 down at that point.

Our most convincing play this season has been with Grealish floating in front 3. Maybe we'd have stuck with it if Jota had been deemed match fit.

Too easy for Wolves today.

Smith never changes anything up. Same approach, same formation, same tactics all the time. It's a glaring weakness.

2 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Smith never changes anything up. Same approach, same formation, same tactics all the time. It's a glaring weakness.

If he wants to become a real top level manager one day  he needs to learn this. Even the best can change things from time to time.

I often feel it's a weakness of British managers they are very slow to change formation and shape in games when the other team starts to get the upper hand, we've seen this many times already this season.

Guys like Klopp and Pep don't just get the big jobs because they spend millions and millions, they can tweak things here and there when their team starts getting under pressure. Mourinho used to be a master of it aswell.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

With 2 regularly ineffective front men and arguably 3 then something needs to change - can’t keep going with 2 wide men when they produce so rarely 

Shrug.

We only really got into the game in the second half when Wolves looked to start to tire. In the first half it was a horror show.

Wolves are better than us, which is understandable, but that first half was crap.

Looking at the club stats at PL site we are third to last when it comes to passes made only Newcastle and Burnley are worse.

Bit of a reality check on our self image perhaps.

Manchester City

Aston Villa

Burnley

Newcastle United

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/clubs/total_pass?se=274

I think we look like a team that has just been put together, which we are. DS had no choice but to completely change the team, and it needs time to bed in , but this league is brutal.  

Luiz needs a rest, as does Mcginn, we desperately miss Jack, and all 3 strikers are hit and miss, but you wouldn't bet against all 3 turning out to be good additions.

I'm not sure that buying anymore players in Jan is the answer, but we might have no option. Still think that we are a 10th to 12th team, but we need some wins.

23 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

I'd say the long balls is a huge problem to us loosing the balls and a complete loss of possession. Seriously what is the point of us passing it around 10 plus times to get it Into midfield then someone hits the long pass and it ends up in the lap of the opposition, it in does all that passing work and annoys the rest of the team because it puts us on defence alert.

We're smarter than this, we've seen some very sweet play at times in past matches, but today in the first half it looked as though we were no where near confident as we were in the second half, you could really see the difference.

Are we though? We've usually had a few stretches in a match where things are going our way and we actually looked not utter crap and having to rely on aimless long balls, but for some reason these stretches never last. Like, in this game it happened in the last 10 minutes. I can't imagine the team and manager doesn't see what we're seeing, so the question is why haven't they done anything to rectify it? Why can we look decent for a 10-20 minutes in some random stretch of the game and then just be on the backfoot for the rest of it concending chance after chance? 

What's funny is is that there've been times I feel where we've been playing well, and then the opposition goes to 10 men and we've somehow gotten worse and fall into the trap of conceding chance after chance. Like, why? Its like there's some invisible trigger to us playing well and playing badly.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

Completely agree with this, the amount of times we lofted the ball forward is just stupid and then when he did get it there was nobody close to play to.  Even seen him coming to the right side of the pitch at the half way line to get involved.  He's far from the player we need but we arent making his life easy.

Can't believe some of the people on VT are just constantly blaming wesley it isn't his fault he gets no support

Issues.

We have to change shape and I don't think Smith will. Players not good enough for this up front, all three constantly lose the ball, midfield has no chance to get up and support them. We can't play out because too many are scared and don't show for the ball. We need to go 4-2-3-1, or least play it properly if that's what it was today. Marvelous as a one man screen is silly.

This high press is the reason we are always tired, and certainly players like Wes, Trez and El Ghazi don't have the intelligence to press while covering angles. It's very easy to bypass. Atletico Madrid would get tired doing the amount of sprinting we do in the first 30 mins, it's unsustainable.

We are so rushed in possession it's infuriating and another reason we get tired. There's very little relaxed possession other than the keeper to defence, we just sprint forward as quick as we can then cross it is. Crossing overall abysmal today.

FFS Dean be reasonable, Neil Taylor? What are you doing with this waster in the squad? We all knew there was no chance with him on the pitch. The players certainly knew it, they clearly try and keep the ball away from him.

It's scary how much we looked like a vessel for Jack Grealish to win us a match today, and he wasn't playing.

Newcastle at home, my word. Anything other than a win is unacceptable for me.

3 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Issues.

We have to change shape and I don't think Smith will. Players not good enough for this up front, all three constantly lose the ball, midfield has no chance to get up and support them. We can't play out because too many are scared and don't show for the ball. We need to go 4-2-3-1, or least play it properly if that's what it was today. Marvelous as a one man screen is silly.

This high press is the reason we are always tired, and certainly players like Wes, Trez and El Ghazi don't have the intelligence to press while covering angles. It's very easy to bypass. Atletico Madrid would get tired doing the amount of sprinting we do in the first 30 mins, it's unsustainable.

We are so rushed in possession it's infuriating and another reason we get tired. There's very little relaxed possession other than the keeper to defence, we just sprint forward as quick as we can then cross it is. Crossing overall abysmal today.

FFS Dean be reasonable, Neil Taylor? What are you doing with this waster in the squad? We all knew there was no chance with him on the pitch. The players certainly knew it, they clearly try and keep the ball away from him.

It's scary how much we looked like a vessel for Jack Grealish to win us a match today, and he wasn't playing.

Newcastle at home, my word. Anything other than a win is unacceptable for me.

I agree with everything except for your comment on Taylor. I would have brought on Hause but Taylor was pretty good today. We shouldn't play our crosses so high need to be low bouncing crosses. These are always the most dangerous crosses. Gives a good chance for a defender to misread it and miss the ball or score an own goal. Plus we are poor at heading but we have alright finishing. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

We are starting to look like a poorly coached team.

Turgid, unable to find passes, no movement, rushed, panic stations on the ball, no options for anybody, no out balls for defenders.

Ultimately all that shows how key Grealish staying fit is to our team. When he's on form we look a solid enough mid table team.

Â