Dean Smith

Demitri_C

6 minutes ago, screwdriver said:

Lansbury deserved some minutes after setting up two goals agains wolfs.

The same old story every week. take the lead. gradually get pushed further and further back conseed. subs come on.let in another.

Smith is making the same mistakes he made in august when he destroyed our momentum against spurs by taking off trez and bringing on jota.

Happened every week burnley, arsenal spurs etc. he should do a gregory and it in the stand if he can't see whats happening from the dugout

He obviously prepares the team well as we start strong. but if all goes wubs up after his subs.

and why make trez play 90mins against a load of kids on weds and again today? this guy was breathing out his ring piece.

and why are these lads not fit with the facitlities they have at bodymore. are you telling me teams like burnley hace facilities like that?

you can talk about team selections all day long its subjective.

what I want to know is?......why do we keep conceding headed goals at the far post.......do we not practice defending them at BMH

every time a cross came in I cringed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lexicon said:

The absolute state of some of the posts in here. He's the best manager we've had since I can remember and as a newly promoted side, we're really pissed off that we didn't get anything out of a game against the champions of Europe and top 2 side in the country. Doesn't that tell you something?

1 hour ago, terrytini said:

Fantastic from Deano.

A hairs breadth away from a memorable Win.

Im glad Ill only see a couple of fans personally tonight having read some of the comments on here.

Just to add to these 2 posts which I wholeheartedly agree with, the last 20mins aside when plop were throwing the kitchen sink at it, we more than competed today. It was a very very good performance today, hence the ovation at the end. 

A last minute winner always hurts, bit when the dust has settled the players will take heart from the fact that they went toe to toe with the reigning CL winners. 

2 hours ago, lexicon said:

The absolute state of some of the posts in here. He's the best manager we've had since I can remember and as a newly promoted side, we're really pissed off that we didn't get anything out of a game against the champions of Europe and top 2 side in the country. Doesn't that tell you something?

👌 Spot on 

7 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Amazing 12 month progress. 

This time last year we beat Bolton 2-0 after losing away to QPR the previous week. 

Today we a feel gutted to have conceded a last minute winner to Liverpool. When you consider what Dean has achieved in the last 12 months it's pretty remarkable really..

No one is completely exempt from criticism of course, but finding fault with today's game is absolutely bonkers. 

In the last 30 or so years of going down the Villa, there aren't to many occasions I've left VP with a smile on my face after a loss, today was one. I'm so proud of what Dean has created here. 

Edited by av1

He deserved something from that game.

tactically spot on, for 95% of that game.

i expected a total hammering, so to come away disappointed we didn’t win Against the champions of Europe is amazing.

keep it up Deano.

1 minute ago, markavfc40 said:

Just 7 months ago we were sat 14th in the Championship and today we were 7 minutes away from beating the best side in Europe with our best player out injured. 

It is remarkable the job Smith has done especially when you consider the turnover in players over the summer and the fact he has had to integrate so many new players. The starting line up today contained 8 players not here last season. To have them playing to a system all working their bollocks off for each other in such a short space of time is some going.

Still plenty of work to do of course, and I'd still take 17th in the league this season if offered it now, but given how far Smith has taken us in a year I am optimistic about where he can take us over the next few years.

Top post. 

Regarding the highlighted bit, I can't for the life of me understand why some fans think that's negative after the points you've raised above..

34 minutes ago, TRO said:

I thought their 2 full backs were something else....probably their best 2 players.

Alexander-Arnold is great going forward and basically plays as a winger. Defensively he's not quite the same level though. 

Im all for the twelve months ago bs comments but we spent more money than Real Madrid in the window before last. Forget the two games against City and Liverscum. 

I for one was excited to see Smith come through the door in lieu of the Walsall and Brentford performances. Whilst the prem is way tougher I have yet to see the pressing football I saw at Walsall and Brentford. This has got to improve imo. 

Either he lacks the articulation to convey his message or the players lack the ability to interpret his message. I believe with what I have seen so far we should be finishing 14th. 

but I want the Walsall/Brentford esque football. That will make life easier for us. 

the where we were comments are irrelevant because we are now in the premier league. At the end of the 92/93 season we finished second. 12 months after that 10th. 12 months after that we barely escaped relegation. 12 months after that 4th.... going further back we won the league 12 months after that the European cup. We were somewhere every 12 months ago.

Aston Villa football club are probably the biggest underachievers in history. Look at where we were.

The past is only there to learn and improve from. 

Edited by Sulberto21

I am not blaming Smith, as we've come along way and we played some good football today. But against top clubs we keep handing possession straight back to the opposition by having Heaton hoof it out all the time, we invite so much pressure on ourselves because we lose possession so easily.

We are excellent in attack, but we need to find a way to keep the ball and be more composed, we did well without Grealish today but we still missed him as he is one of the few players we have who keeps the ball. McGinn's form has bottomed out completely.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Just 7 months ago we were sat 14th in the Championship and today we were 7 minutes away from beating the best side in Europe with our best player out injured. 

It is remarkable the job Smith has done especially when you consider the turnover in players over the summer and the fact he has had to integrate so many new players. The starting line up today contained 8 players not here last season. To have them playing to a system all working their bollocks off for each other in such a short space of time is some going.

Still plenty of work to do of course, and I'd still take 17th in the league this season if offered it now, but given how far Smith has taken us in a year I am optimistic about where he can take us over the next few years.

Spot on mate! 

You know something, I actually think that we are getting better and better with each passing game. We created chances against Man City and Liverpool. We should have scored more than one in each of those games. We are now moving on to easier opponents and we may just see the better results we all crave. 

Trezeguet looks more improved. El Ghazi looks faster, Grealish too. Engels and Mings look solid. We now have a left back that can play. Nakamba looks like the midfield enforcer we've sought for a long time. 

There is a lot to like about the Villa right now. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Im all for the twelve months ago bs comments but we spent more money than Real Madrid in the window before last. Forget the two games against City and Liverscum. 

I for one was excited to see Smith come through the door in lieu of the Walsall and Brentford performances. Whilst the prem is way tougher I have yet to see the pressing football I saw at Walsall and Brentford. This has got to improve imo. 

Either he lacks the articulation to convey his message or the players lack the ability to interpret his message. I believe with what I have seen so far we should be finishing 14th. 

but I want the Walsall/Brentford esque football. That will make life easier for us. 

What a crazy comparison. Real Madrid didn't need to spend as much as us because they already have a squad worth hundreds of millions. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

What a crazy comparison. Real Madrid didn't need to spend as much as us because they already have a squad worth hundreds of millions. 

How is fact crazy especially when spent in the championship.? Admittedly not by Smith.

Edited by Sulberto21

8 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Im all for the twelve months ago bs comments but we spent more money than Real Madrid in the window before last. Forget the two games against City and Liverscum. 

the where we were comments are irrelevant because we are now in the premier league. At the end of the 92/93 season we finished second. 12 months after that 10th. 12 months after that we barely escaped relegation. 12 months after that 4th.... going further back we won the league 12 months after that the European cup. We were somewhere every 12 months ago.

Aston Villa football club are probably the biggest underachievers in history. Look at where we were.

The past is only there to learn and improve from. 

What is this even supposed to mean? As if Madrid haven't already got a squad that cost several hundreds of millions. They spent half of our budget on one player in the summer. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

You do understand that Liverpool bought on a £50m midfielder from the bench today don't you?

As for the rest of your post, complete rubbish. 

9 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

I am not blaming Smith, as we've come along way and we played some good football today. But against top clubs we keep handing possession straight back to the opposition by having Heaton hoof it out all the time, we invite so much pressure on ourselves because we lose possession so easily.

We are excellent in attack, but we need to find a way to keep the ball and be more composed, we did well without Grealish today but we still missed him as he is one of the few players we have who keeps the ball. McGinn's form has bottomed out completely.

I see what you did there.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

What is this even supposed to mean? As if Madrid haven't already got a squad that cost several hundreds of millions. They spent half of our budget on one player in the summer. 

The constant ‘ twelve months ago we were playing yadda yadda yadda’. It’s gone we are now in the premier league. I wasn’t talking about this summer i was talking two windows back. 

Â