Jump to content
Demitri_C

Dean Smith

Recommended Posts

He has zero tactics on how to defend a lead against teams that will press you hard. And obviously we have limited players but you can't tell me Luiz, McCgin or Nakamba are incapable of few passess and keeping the ball. 

If all you do is hoofball, the end result will always be us loosing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Khizzy said:

Crap subs. Sorry Deano but you'll need to shoulder the blame for this defeat. Why he didn't bring on Konsa for Wesley is completely beyond me.

Yes because taking a striker off for a defender so there's nobody upfield is always successful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Oh look everyone, it's captain hindsight 

To be fair even the commentator on my stream suggested bringing on a fifth defender, after about 60-70 mins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dr_Pangloss said:

That sub may not have made a difference. I don't accept at all that Smith has to 'shoulder the blame', that's nonsense. 

Our players just weren't good enough to get the job done.

I agree, Smith isnt playing on the team, even his Subs are of a quality problem.

While I'm frustrated it's because of problems more than a Coaching problem, lack of everything in the playing department is what's costing us games. When you go and buy a bunch of cheap players because of much needed replacements you do so to the best of your ability. Our quality is laughable really against the likes of Allison, Dijk, Salah, Mane, Fermino, Shaqiri, Fabinho, Matip and more it's just a surprise that it isn't more than 2-1, I think our lads deserve a big applause, but they do have to take blame for the concentration lapses that cost us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Alakagom said:

He has zero tactics on how to defend a lead against teams that will press you hard. And obviously we have limited players but you can't tell me Luiz, McCgin or Nakamba are incapable of few passess and keeping the ball. 

If all you do is hoofball, the end result will always be us loosing. 

Dean smith is instructing players to give the ball away rush everything and punt it to nobody.

got it.

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Deano got it spot on for me tactics and subs. 

We were excellent, so gutted for the team. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To be honest im not dissapointed about losing to liverpool, I'm just disappointed about the manner of consistently bottling games we could have taken points from.

Once or twice is fine, but we do it ALL THE TIME, bringing hourihane on to close out a game was a mistake though, and why did he bring Elmo on for Guilbert?

We need to wise up fast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Dean smith is instructing players to give the ball away rush everything and punt it to nobody.

got it.

Oof. Yea that's exactly what my post said. Facetious much. I guess if we had Pep over here we would have hoofballed that in same manner yea? And it's not even about Pep but having some kind of strategy to combat what we have seen so far against Totenham..Arsenal..Everton (had great chances to equalize many times) and now Liverpool.

Except we don't. We play exactly the same. So you either admit our players suck quite a bit ( which doesn't seem to be the case when we are pretty competent until 2nd halves), or put some blame on the coach and his tactics. 

Edited by Alakagom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What does get me is those of you who defend the no sale of some players like kodjia, Davis, Elmo, Taylor, Hogan, Lansbury are then wondering why we are losing games in the second half. We need to in the next transfer get rid of these and bring in quality replacements in the places. Villa needs to move to the next level, quality next because we've done quantity, then we might start winning these second half that were losing against the top 6 clubs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fantastic from Deano.

A hairs breadth away from a memorable Win.

Im glad Ill only see a couple of fans personally tonight having read some of the comments on here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

I agree, Smith isnt playing on the team, even his Subs are of a quality problem.

While I'm frustrated it's because of problems more than a Coaching problem, lack of everything in the playing department is what's costing us games. When you go and buy a bunch of cheap players because of much needed replacements you do so to the best of your ability. Our quality is laughable really against the likes of Allison, Dijk, Salah, Mane, Fermino, Shaqiri, Fabinho, Matip and more it's just a surprise that it isn't more than 2-1, I think our lads deserve a big applause, but they do have to take blame for the concentration lapses that cost us.

One big area we lack is fitness and I think there's three non-mutually exclusive reasons. (1) Deficiency in training - I personally think this is not the case as we have good coaches and excellent facilities.  (2) Players new to the league taking time to adapt - this is definitely the case in many circumstances, it takes a long time to build fitness levels for this league. (3) Genetics - not every player can do it for 90 minutes and retain their levels at this level of football, even with loads of fitness training, and this is very much a 'quality' of player issue. Top players at top clubs these days are elite athletes for their sport, we just don't seem to have that calibre of athlete at our club. 

You're also right when you talk about concentration issues. Concentration and awareness is poor over the course of a match for most of our players, it's a hard thing to correct that can take a lot of time.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Alakagom said:

He has zero tactics on how to defend a lead against teams that will press you hard. And obviously we have limited players but you can't tell me Luiz, McCgin or Nakamba are incapable of few passess and keeping the ball. 

If all you do is hoofball, the end result will always be us loosing. 

Not sure I’ve ever read a less justifiable post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dave-R said:

What does get me is those of you who defend the no sale of some players like kodjia, Davis, Elmo, Taylor, Hogan, Lansbury are then wondering why we are losing games in the second half. We need to in the next transfer get rid of these and bring in quality replacements in the places. Villa needs to move to the next level, quality next because we've done quantity, then we might start winning these second half that were losing against the top 6 clubs.

Would like this if I had any left! None of those players are premier league standard, we really need a couple of smart signings in January and then build from there next season.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

 why did he bring Elmo on for Guilbert?

 

Guilbert looked injured to me?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Not sure I’ve ever read a less justifiable post.

You said soaking up pressure for entirety of 2nd half is fantastic football. So yea, I don't think your opinion has any value for what it's wroth.  Sam Allardyce tactics truly the peak of football. Fantastic.  

Edited by Alakagom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, wazzap24 said:

Guilbert looked injured to me?

Guilbert was injured from about the 8th minute. Full credit to him for lasting out that long.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today Smith made subs early enough. Except for Elmo, they didn't have a positive effect.

Konsa for Wesley? Really? That would be exactly what Bruce would do.

No, today Smith got things mostly right. Our players are just not mentally ready yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Dean Smith would get less flak if we just got outplayed and lost 3-0 to Spurs, 3-0 to Arsenal and 4-0 to Liverpool.

These are top teams, when we take the lead they are going to up it and apply pressure. City did it today v Saints. As long as this isn't happening each week v teams around us I am not concerned, we are doing fine.

Edited by AndyM3000
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...
Â