Dean Smith

Demitri_C

We played fairly well, very good first half but the second half, well, it's as much down to resources than management, we just don''t have good enough players, not fit enough and not enough quality. They just didn't want the ball, didn't have the energy or ability to keep it under intense pressure. There's levels to football and Liverpool are clearly several levels above us. Smith isn't to blame for that.

in some ways his subs made sense although were predictable, Hourihane didn't give us the energy we needed, Kodjia fairly pointless. Perhaps he could have done something more radical such as bringing Konsa on and play a back 5, or perhaps push Engels a little further forward with Konsa slotting into a back four. Maybe that would have been a better choice but the reality is that we are just not good enough to get results against sides like this.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

Just now, villalad21 said:

Subs were abysmal.

Hourihane for Luiz in a game we barely have the ball makes no sense.

Luiz was poor and they were slicing through us, bringing on another central midfielder made sense but we just don't have the right options on the bench.

I'm not mad with the fact we were winning, or how we let them have the second half as much, I'm mad at what is again another loss to a top team who we should of beat. I honestly am fed up with players like Ghazi screwing up and not tracking there man, defensively our lads won that game because we were in front and it takes just one moment from Ghazi to completely destroy 80+ mins of hard work.

When are the players in our squad going to realise to be on your man or to completely clear the ball, it's very frustrating this is to watch. This is why we need some top quality players come January we seriously have a quality problem to the point we can't win the second half against the best in this league. I hope the owners are getting ready to hand over more than a few quid. You can also see that the top quarter of teams in the prem seem to have an extra gear in fitness which were lacking at the moment, we looked shocking inside second half because our players were without energy to the point they looked like they needed adrenaline boosters.

What a wonderful game for us in first half, that we let slip due to lack of concentration, quality and fitness.

Starting to worry about the players.

Losing games in the last minutes time and time again won't do them any good mentally.

Spurs, Arsenal, Liverpool. Every time we defend a league, especially against the top 6 it's going to be in the back of their heads.

6 minutes ago, Khizzy said:

Crap subs. Sorry Deano but you'll need to shoulder the blame for this defeat. Why he didn't bring on Konsa for Wesley is completely beyond me.

That sub may not have made a difference. I don't accept at all that Smith has to 'shoulder the blame', that's nonsense. 

Our players just weren't good enough to get the job done.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Starting to worry about the players.

Losing games in the last minutes time and time again won't do them any good mentally.

Spurs, Arsenal, Liverpool. Every time we defend a league, especially against the top 6 it's going to be in the back of their heads.

Yep, very worried that we can't beat 3 of last season's top 5, especially with two of those games away from home. Most our players absolutely aren't good enough to get the job done against sides like Liverpool but that to me isn't exactly worrying given where we are and what the objective is this season.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Yep, very worried that we can't beat 3 of last season's top 5, especially with two of those games away from home. Most our players absolutely aren't good enough to get the job done against sides like Liverpool but that to me isn't exactly worrying given where we are and what the objective is this season.

What about Spurs and Arsenal?

Â