Jump to content
Demitri_C

Dean Smith

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

The reason why lambert got fired was because benteke wasn't scoring and we continued to be crap elsewhere. 

Well Benteke kept him in a job longer than he deserved. At that stage we barely created any chances never mind for Benteke

Lambert was sacked after about 25 games, we probably didnt score in 15 of them 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Well Benteke kept him in a job longer than he deserved. At that stage we barely created any chances never mind for Benteke

Lambert was sacked after about 25 games, we probably didnt score in 15 of them 

Wrong!

There's no 'about' or 'probably' about it. Your numbers are spot on.

hehe

Not sure I agree with the Lambert sentiment though, just to be serious for a second.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sometimes a particular club just suits a player or manager and it seems that was the case with him and Norwich.

But he has been utter shite at every other club since.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/10/2019 at 18:03, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Front foot*

We heavily commit in attack and this leaves us vulnerable to the counter. Brighton did an absolutely fantastic job of exploiting that and beating our high press. The reason they weren't able to capitalise (or have any meaningful shots on target for an hour) was because they sacrificed one of their attackers when down to ten men. That didn't stop them playing some beautiful football up until the final third where they crumbled.

Sometimes you have to tip your cap to the opposition. This will happen to us occasionally because of how we play, it is by design rather than a glitch. We were chasing the win and perhaps over-committed at times, but really we should have been out of sight by the 94th minute anyway, we were wasteful in good positions. Nobody would have minded how open we were if we were 3-1 up by that point as we should have been. 

We can do better, McGinn looked knackered and should have come off, but I'm not concerned really. Certainly not to 'rethink' territory.

Today looks like a rethink 😀 Obviously away but will be interesting to see how Luiz and Nakamba play together. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not surprised by the result the quality showed today from man city and untill we start bringing in world class players, we may fight on but winning is always going to be a much more tougher fight.

Well done to the lads for trying though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

quarter of a season gone and think can say its been OK. We have scored in all but 2 games this season (we scored vs Palace regardless of result) and today was probably the only game we were actually beaten in. We were competitive in every game so far. Better teams than Villa will get beaten badly by City this season

Also with a completely new team, hard to remember but only McGinn and Jack started today that was here on this date last season

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought his game plan yesterday was the right one. The team he picked from the start, I would have picked.  Set up to frustrate and counter.  First half wasn’t bad at all.  Yes we were fortunate at times, but we could have had a penalty.

Second half, some of the players let themselves down straight from the kick off. Mings obviously for the first, but Engels and Guilbert’s positioning also seemed all wrong?  Can’t blame Smith for that.  Then goals 2 and 3 weren’t scored from any brilliant play, they were messy and could have been avoided. 

My only criticism of Smith yesterday and this season in fact, is he seems reluctant to make use of his subs early or even at all.  Grealish perhaps should have come off earlier.  Wesley earlier?  I love McGinn and even in the last minute he nearly scores, but he appears knackered after 60/70 minutes. 

Am I disappointed with the result yesterday, well yes of course.  However, we are a new team, still learning from each other. City on the other hand are well established and can destroy anyone.  Just look at the two benches, we bring on Davis, they bring on Aguero.  Frightening quality in depth.  

This game and next week are a free hit in this league.  If you get anything, it’s a bonus.  It’s how we do against the rest and I’ve seen nothing else that scares me.  
 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the lack of subs is that we don't really have a game changer....our subs are like for like.  As the squad develops in quality, I expect subs to be used more frugally. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, New_Hope said:

I think the lack of subs is that we don't really have a game changer....our subs are like for like.  As the squad develops in quality, I expect subs to be used more frugally. 

A set of fresh legs could have helped on a couple occasions thou.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 27/10/2019 at 08:13, ferguson1 said:

I thought his game plan yesterday was the right one. The team he picked from the start, I would have picked.  Set up to frustrate and counter.  First half wasn’t bad at all.  Yes we were fortunate at times, but we could have had a penalty.

Second half, some of the players let themselves down straight from the kick off. Mings obviously for the first, but Engels and Guilbert’s positioning also seemed all wrong?  Can’t blame Smith for that.  Then goals 2 and 3 weren’t scored from any brilliant play, they were messy and could have been avoided. 

My only criticism of Smith yesterday and this season in fact, is he seems reluctant to make use of his subs early or even at all.  Grealish perhaps should have come off earlier.  Wesley earlier?  I love McGinn and even in the last minute he nearly scores, but he appears knackered after 60/70 minutes. 

Am I disappointed with the result yesterday, well yes of course.  However, we are a new team, still learning from each other. City on the other hand are well established and can destroy anyone.  Just look at the two benches, we bring on Davis, they bring on Aguero.  Frightening quality in depth.  

This game and next week are a free hit in this league.  If you get anything, it’s a bonus.  It’s how we do against the rest and I’ve seen nothing else that scares me.  
 

some good points there.

The significant thing for me is Pepe had a team talk at half time......He focused on the lack of Aggression ,He allegedly said " if you play like that we will get relegated" ......now we are talking about a great side, with sublime technical skills.....If aggression missing was 0-0 what was we doing about aggression.

I have said this so many times and I will say it again......We too, lack aggression in too many games....Its hard to get all the players fired up, only Jack and a few others show it......Wes should be steam rollering players, our wingers should be fired up like Harvey Barnes and going past players.

We have too many who dither and are passive in their play.....their off the ball work lacks focus and diligence.

Dean needs to come out and give them a broadside of the privilege to play for this great club and play with the same fire in the belly as Jack......If Man City are not too big to have a bollocking about a lack of aggression....I'm bloody damn sure we arn't.

Liverpool was accused on Sky today of being out fought last week......We have to recognise our shortfalls and own up to them.....We are a damn good side at times and can play, and its not that, that is leaving us short at times, its what I am talking about.

If we came out with an approach like Leicester against southampton, ( the scoreline is a one off granted, the approach is the thing) We would undoubtedly be safe this season.....The half hearted players need a rocket up their arses.

I have no doubt we have the ability to make a mark in this league.......The application, not so sure ( not all the players just too many)......**** me Wes should be a right bloody handful,like he was against Everton.... instead just a pussy lately.

Edited by TRO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dean's now managed 50 competitive games at Villa.

Wins - 24
Draws - 12
Defeats - 14
Win % - 48%
Points Per Game - 1.68

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27/10/2019 at 09:55, New_Hope said:

I think the lack of subs is that we don't really have a game changer....our subs are like for like.  As the squad develops in quality, I expect subs to be used more frugally. 

I think you make a good point to be fair....too many a bit the same.

I accept it takes time to fix that.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Hornso said:

Dean's now managed 50 competitive games at Villa.

Wins - 24
Draws - 12
Defeats - 14
Win % - 48%
Points Per Game - 1.68

I think that is good.......so far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that's amazing when you reflect the state of the team when he took over and that 10 of those matches are in the PL with a newly promoted team. Probably some PL opponents in cups as well. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I think that's amazing when you reflect the state of the team when he took over and that 10 of those matches are in the PL with a newly promoted team. Probably some PL opponents in cups as well. 

It's absolutely incredible.

I honestly wonder how some of the absolute best would have done compared to him, bearing in mind he had to take over from the anti-coach Bruce and lift the team out of the ground.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...
Â