Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Absolutely buzzing about the result. The starting line up was correct and we dominated first half. I did think however, that the second half we rode our luck and Deans subs or tactics did not help. McGinn was practically right wing last ten and was nullified completely. But hey, about time we got something go our lucky way 

4 hours ago, villalad21 said:

This style of play is nerve wrecking for me.

We're basically playing 4-1-5.

So easy to get the ball through to our half because we got no midfield. I feel so bad for poor Nakamba.

We won though, all that matter really.

What do you propose as our style of play/formation? 

28 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

I hope you can sleep tonight pal, you seem very worried about this. So much so that you feel compelled to post it in every thread! 

I don't understand how people can not be worried by this stat.

Yes delighted with the result but that doesn't mean I can't be worried.

1 minute ago, Villarocker said:

What do you propose as our style of play/formation? 

I want us to find a middle ground.

I don't think this all out attack style is optimal.

Conceding way too many shots. Better teams will tear us apart.

4 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

tbh, doesnt matter what better teams do versus us, to stay up we need to win, the more wins the better, you dont get relegated from conceding goals in this league, you get relegated by not scoring enough.

note: obviously we need some balance, but tbh doesnt matter if we lose 4-2 against Man City, all that matters is scoring enough goals to pick up wins against teams around us, it was similar in the Championship, draws arent any good overall, if you draw 6 you are better off winning 3 and getting spanked in 3.

granted you want to score lots and concede few, but goals scored or not scored is usually the defining factor in relegation or staying up.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 2

DS needs a rethink. It is little wonder they were playing through us. Marvelous was defending on his own in central midfield for much of the game. Great that we won but it could easily have gone the other way, even when they had ten men. I don’t know what to suggest but something has to change as we look so vulnerable when on the back foot.

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Last season, Norwich and Brighton finished in higher league positions but we've beaten both of them this season. 

I hear your fear but our best chance of getting results is by us taking the game to teams. We'll ship loads but also score loads and that last stat is all that matters. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MaVilla said:

If you had offered me 11th with 11 points after 9 games I would have bitten your hand off, and then torn your arm off and kept that....for good measure.

Absolutely and completely this. We are in for 3 really tough fixtures now, and any points from the next two should be seen as a total bonus. The table might not look as pretty in a months time and I won’t be that concerned - because, in my mind, for this year - anything better than survival on goal difference, is like winning the lottery and I think we are well on course. 

4 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I hope you are right.

But I don't understand why it's necessary for us to play Hourihane and Mcginn as strikers.

Poor Nakamba this game. Tried to do a job of 3

I agree we would be a little more balanced defensively, Luiz for hourihane would probably fix that, but overall I would prefer to moan about us being too attacking than too defensive.

Maybe and hopefully if we stay up we can develop and become more balanced, but right now I think we just need to get as many wins as we can, and to win we need goals.

14 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

It's a good job theres so many teams that are garbage in this division.

20 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I don't understand how people can not be worried by this stat.

Yes delighted with the result but that doesn't mean I can't be worried.

You appear to be taking this stat in complete isolation and working yourself up. 

Let's ignore the fact we are still settling in the division and we a huge crop of new players bedding in. Against Norwich we scored 5 goals, keeping the game open was obviously the right call as the better chances fell to us and we were converting. Same with Brighton although they went down to 10 they were still pushing forward, and playing well to their credit, again keeping the game end to end against 10 men gives us the best opportunity to exploit their lack of numbers. 

I'm not saying we don't have some work to do defensively but you seem to be completely ignoring the predominate factor, the game states and tactics. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

That for me is the worse I’ve seen us play all season yet we won. It’s a funny old game isn’t it?

My son said this on the way back to the car.  We've played really well in many games and got nothing.  Today we played quite badly but won. It's a Jimmy Greaves style fanny ole game. 

We didn’t play particularly well today but we deserve some luck after the past few weeks, but boy, what a job Dean Smith has done in 12 months. It really couldn’t have gone any better. From mid table Championship to mid table Premier League playing some of the best football I can remember at Villa. If we can just survive this season I think we’ll go from strength to strength.

I’m no Bruce hater at all. In fact I think he’s had some harsh treatment (probably from me as well) when he did actually steady the ship at a time when it turns out we had an absolute shambles of an owner.

But let’s all take a moment to appreciate that Smith took over when we looked like we were going nowhere, got us promoted when we were basically destined for mid-table in the Championship and now we are 11th in the PL as a promoted side. I think we all have a bit of a habit of expecting big things even though (as every other football fan will basically tell you) we are basically shite relegation fodder.

And yet with an entirely new team and “doing a Fulham”, we have given every side a game and have done excellent despite VAR trying to stop us at every stage. 

For a manager who has never been in the PL, it’s pretty **** excellent. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, villalad21 said:

I hope you are right.

But I don't understand why it's necessary for us to play Hourihane and Mcginn as strikers.

Poor Nakamba this game. Tried to do a job of 3

They didn’t play as strikers, but they were far too wide and not for the first time this season. Feels like it’s a deliberate tactic, but with Jack drifting all over the place and Wesley not dropping back as much as advertised, it does leave an enormous gap in the middle between Wesley and Nakamba.

3 hours ago, Spoony said:

I’m no Bruce hater at all. In fact I think he’s had some harsh treatment (probably from me as well) when he did actually steady the ship at a time when it turns out we had an absolute shambles of an owner.

One of Bruce's favourite sayings along side 'batten down the hatches'. It's bizarre how fans internalise these Bruceisms, just like how a few on here were accusing others as being 'hysterical' shortly after Bruce coined that phrase. It's as though Bruce has some mind control shit going on.

Â