Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Only problem with a back five is I don't think Targett is very good in that system and why he got a lot criticism from Southampton fans, you'd be relying on him for width down the left hand side, and whilst he's comfortable on the ball and can put in a good cross he's not very dynamic going forward, I think for a left-wing back we'd need someone with more pace, a left sided version of Guilbert.

I don't think we'll see anything too dramatic in terms of the formation, other than possible bringing in an extra midfielder into the central three and moving Grealish further forward. This might sound counterintuitive but I actually think that moving Grealish to the 'wing' might allow him to play more akin to how he was playing last season, than playing in a midfield three in the Premier league does.

Edited by useless

2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

And play 2 attacking mids central behind wes?

Yes for me. 

We currently have one too many attacking style players which means they all have to curb that side of their game, AND still fail to provide enough forward support.

Thats how I see it. ....I’m sure the current system will have it’s good days but I’d hope he’s looking at this alternative...I’m sure he is.

10 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Really impressed with how Dean handled the Kevin Friend decision in the post-match interviews. Critical but in a calm, measured way, didn't make it personal. Made the point about Jack already being the most fouled player in the league, and challenged the idea that he has "a reputation" for diving.

Just as when things weren't going well for us last season, I thought the things Dean was saying and doing gave me confidence that he could turn it around. I feel exactly the same way this season.

I'm sure the cowards will find an excuse to fine him for it. 

Reflecting back it’s frustrating the goal was ruled out and it’s even more frustrating looking at the performance here and against Bournemouth. We just have to be patient. I’m hoping we finish the season strongly. It will be nervy and we will be in the bottom 3 a few times this season in my opinion. Just have to keep at it. One way at looking at is we were really poor against Palace but should’ve come away with a point. Playing as bad as that but getting a point away from home is progress. I’m sure we will hit on the right formula just have to be patient until we do so. We could do with some clean sheets though. 

Apologies if this has been done before this is the first time I have been on this thread but..............I wonder if Deans insistance on this try and win every game, 4-3-3 formation will be our undoing this season? Why are we playing 3 up top? We looked very poor against Palace, I've just watched West Ham v Norwich and although Norwich lost they looked half decent and organised no where near as headless as we did yesterday we were f****** woeful! I don't think Norwich have as good a squad as us and I reckon they will go down.

We have a really strong crop of midfielders, and a relatively poor group of strikers maybe a similar to Norwich 4-2-3-1 would suit us? Or a Sheff utd 3-5-2 but we'd need strikers that can score goals! Just watching Chelsea v Sheff utd now and Tammy has just put his 2nd away wish he was our * - * - * - 1.

• Like 2

Agree with others in here that we are lacking a certain physical presence in midfield. DL is a talented player, just not sure he is the no 6 we need currently. Maybe as he develops and acclimatises to the PL he will be in the near future. Nakamba seems a more physical DM and the fact that DS stated that, of the 2, he sees DL as the option to play further forward as Marv is more of a DM leads me to believe that Marv could well be given his first start after the break. 

The option of having them both starting with JM as the no 8 also makes a lot of sense. His bombing forward will be better protected and so free him up to do it more. Playing Jack from the left would also give him more freedom in an attacking sense. Both of these tweaks would result in more frequent and sustained support for Wes who is currently very isolated. 

The great thing is DS has multiple options in midfield and I’m sure he will get the balance right; just like the players he is also learning about the PL as well. Still confident we will stay up no matter how tough things get. 

• Like 1

Issues clear. We still haven't played well for me.

Feels like the team is always too far away from each other, certainly when we go forward.

I still think Taylor is a huge issue when we're in possession, we can't go to that side of the pitch, if we do teams can just close the CBs down and it ends up with the keeper.

Team is trying I think, hard work is there. A problem is we're rushing so hard to get the ball then rushing too much when we've got it. There's no period of relaxed possession, can't build anything.

It'll look smelly if we get nothing from West Ham, bearing in mind we were robbed of a point yesterday.

45 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

Apologies if this has been done before this is the first time I have been on this thread but..............I wonder if Deans insistance on this try and win every game, 4-3-3 formation will be our undoing this season? Why are we playing 3 up top? We looked very poor against Palace, I've just watched West Ham v Norwich and although Norwich lost they looked half decent and organised no where near as headless as we did yesterday we were f****** woeful! I don't think Norwich have as good a squad as us and I reckon they will go down.

We have a really strong crop of midfielders, and a relatively poor group of strikers maybe a similar to Norwich 4-2-3-1 would suit us? Or a Sheff utd 3-5-2 but we'd need strikers that can score goals! Just watching Chelsea v Sheff utd now and Tammy has just put his 2nd away wish he was our * - * - * - 1.

I think at some point he may have to make us harder to beat and then build from there.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

I think at some point he may have to make us harder to beat and then build from there.

I hope he isn't too stubborn to do it! The sign of a good manager is when he can change things to change a game......does Dean have that in his locker?

Was a bit concerned with the way we were defending corners , think was mostly in the middle part of second half where palace had corner after corner

No doubt having Wesley back defending with his hight is a huge plus for us trying to defend corners but this leaves us with no out ball at all , found myself shouting at TV , put mcginn or Jota high up the pitch to stop the ball coming straight back in 

13 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

I hope he isn't too stubborn to do it! The sign of a good manager is when he can change things to change a game......does Dean have that in his locker?

When we went down to 10 men, putting on Davis and Hourihane for Jota and Luiz was smart. Luiz on a yellow already, Jota isolated with a man down so a 2nd target man was the way to go.

Accounted for everything.....

... except for Friend.

3 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

When we went down to 10 men, putting on Davis and Hourihane for Jota and Luiz was smart. Luiz on a yellow already, Jota isolated with a man down so a 2nd target man was the way to go.

Accounted for everything.....

... except for Friend.

The only part of that I agree with is putting Conor on, he should be starting! Davis was ineffective we may be saving DL from a 2nd yellow get that but never never going to win away matches like that!!

We still showed we could press with 10 men and score legitimate goals. In DS we trust.

The advanced wingers/wide forwards aren't working. Jota has been good but the left side winger has been a passenger in almost every game.  Before we give up on the 4-3-3 I agree with the other posters now and think we should try Jack on the left side. I worry about him getting isolated but something needs to change. Our midfield is far to light weight right now. Whether it's over the top or through every team so far has managed to outplay our midfield.  Playing Jack out wide is less than ideal but until we can upgrade our wide options in the winter window it may be our best bet going forward. 

Â