Jump to content
Demitri_C

Dean Smith

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, terrytini said:

I won’t refer to any of it ever ever again.

Unless someone else does.

Jehovah! 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Once this nonsense has been cleaned, it will be re-opened, car crashes can take a while. Please do not start another topic.

Edit: Thread reopened, please don't just continue these absolutely daft arguments, if you think guidelines have been broken, use the report function to report the post. Circular arguments don't help anyone

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Damn, seems like I missed out on all the fun in this thread. Never mind, I am sure there'll be other times when it gets lively :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

Damn, seems like I missed out on all the 'fun' in this thread. Never mind, I am sure there'll be other times when it gets lively :lol:

What do you mean by 'fun'?!!!! 😒😤

Spoiler

;)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TRO said:

I was heartened to listen to Dean Smith's interview after the game.

Many times with past managers, I have wondered if I was at the same game......Dean reassured me, we were both on the same page.

He picked up all the salient points and I am sure he knows what to work on.

That first game might prove to be a blessing in disguise, in the sense that as a benchmark, we now know what we really have to do.....They won't come much tougher, in the majority of our games.

We all knew that game was going to be tough.....but I don't think we knew quite in detail how tough it proved to be, particularly on the ball.

I've felt that with Smith from day one. His selections, subs, approach and general assessment of games is much as I see it. Makes it sweeter that he's Villa too. Top manager, top bloke. Hope he's around for years. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My concern is that if we lose more then 2 or 3 games in succession at some point in the season (and we will lets face it), some on this forum and elsewhere will be wanting DS sacked........and then we will get Pulis, Big Fat Sam or Moyes etc etc....

We have a good manager and back up team let's trust and get behind these guys, I know its difficult to adjust and accept this as we have been led by a shower of sh*te for the last decade

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

It's national "use your common sense" day.

He's saying aim to win 10 games and assuming you pick up draws along the way you'll do enough. I'd be very surprised if you can find many, if any, examples of teams that have won 10 games in the premier league and still gone down.

I didn't really think it was that complicated.

Cardiff won 10 last year...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really appreciate that DS has basically named an unchanged team from the play off final. Only enforced changes and Steer for Heaton. It's the fear i had from all our new signings - that we'd field an entirely new team with no cohesion. And it wouldn't do much for team morale. Basically Dean has said your positions are yours to lose. Prove to me you're better than what we've bought and you keep your place. 

Big fan

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

Cardiff won 10 last year...

Don't worry, we've been round this. I've already acknowledged my mistake.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, YLN said:

I really appreciate that DS has basically named an unchanged team from the play off final. Only enforced changes and Steer for Heaton. It's the fear i had from all our new signings - that we'd field an entirely new team with no cohesion. And it wouldn't do much for team morale. Basically Dean has said your positions are yours to lose. Prove to me you're better than what we've bought and you keep your place. 

Big fan

Yeah I've mentioned that I think this is the main reason for people like Taylor and Elmo playing on Saturday. Trying to keep the upheaval to a minimum.

Bed a few players in where we have no choice, then ease the rest in.

I fully expect players like Guilbert, Targett and Luiz to be first choice soon (assuming they're not crap! :D )

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Stevo985 said:

Don't worry, we've been round this. I've already acknowledged my mistake.

I would agree that it would be very unusual though. Think 17th this year may well need a fairly low total and wouldn't be surprised if 35/36 points is enough to stay up again

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah I've mentioned that I think this is the main reason for people like Taylor and Elmo playing on Saturday. Trying to keep the upheaval to a minimum.

Bed a few players in where we have no choice, then ease the rest in.

I fully expect players like Guilbert, Targett and Luiz to be first choice soon (assuming they're not crap! :D )

 

It's quite a smart move rewarding the likes of Elmo and Taylor by keeping them in the team as it gives them a boost in confidence, protected Targett and Guilbert from a potentially damaging first defeat while making them need to bust a gut to get in the team and remain in it.  I'd have done the opposite, but that's why Dean's a good manager and I'm not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, YLN said:

I really appreciate that DS has basically named an unchanged team from the play off final. Only enforced changes and Steer for Heaton. It's the fear i had from all our new signings - that we'd field an entirely new team with no cohesion. And it wouldn't do much for team morale. Basically Dean has said your positions are yours to lose. Prove to me you're better than what we've bought and you keep your place. 

Big fan

It's funny you say this because a discussion on Saturdays starting line up today. My explanation to someone regarding the omission of Guilbert and Targett was that Smith has laid down the gauntlet to the old guard and basically said the places are yours to lose. It gives the players here longer the feeling they are in control of their own future rather than leave them feeling that they have been replaced without real cause. It also gives some of the new boys chance to bed in and stake their claim as places are theirs to win. I don't think that any of the lads that started in the FB positions or Conor did themselves any harm so don't foresee them losing their places for Saturday either. I can see a couple of bench changes though with Guilbert coming in. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He alluded to the opposite with his team selection in the after match press conference but I think he did it to keep the team chemistry too.  It gives the new players a little while longer to gel in training as well as putting a lid on the 'Billy Big Bollox' attitudes that can happen with any new arrival.  

If he had have put many of the new signings in and we got a pasting, then we would all be asking the question 'where do we go from here?' At least we know we haven't show  our full hand yet and have got plenty in reserve! The starting 11 will only get stronger!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LakotaDakota said:

I would agree that it would be very unusual though. Think 17th this year may well need a fairly low total and wouldn't be surprised if 35/36 points is enough to stay up again

Think we’ve been round that one too! 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

It's quite a smart move rewarding the likes of Elmo and Taylor by keeping them in the team as it gives them a boost in confidence, protected Targett and Guilbert from a potentially damaging first defeat while making them need to bust a gut to get in the team and remain in it.  I'd have done the opposite, but that's why Dean's a good manager and I'm not.

guess it makes you wonder how different the starting 11 may have been if we were playing Southampton/Bournemouth at home or something instead of away at Spurs. Elmo & Taylor are known quantities with 300 odd premier league games between them so you wouldn't really expect them to be surprised by anything Spurs have to offer. I know people moaned but they generally played well enough and it keeps a bit of pressure off Guilbert & Targett for now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've noticed that he won't ever get drawn into saying "It's a dream come true to manage Villa" or "It's an honour to be here". I don't know whether it is his dream or not to be honest. 

I like that, it shows that being here isn't enough, he doesn't just want to do the job. He wants to do it well. 

He isn't just a fan having a go as a manager, he's a good manager that wants to win. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah I've mentioned that I think this is the main reason for people like Taylor and Elmo playing on Saturday. Trying to keep the upheaval to a minimum.

Bed a few players in where we have no choice, then ease the rest in.

I fully expect players like Guilbert, Targett and Luiz to be first choice soon (assuming they're not crap! :D )

 

I'm not completely convinced you fully appreciate just what you've said here 🤔

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


×
×
  • Create New...
Â