Dean Smith

Demitri_C

I'm not a big fan of the match day commentators, but one of them mentioned being in a similar position (promoted with Wimbledon, I think) and having a similar result in their first game up.

Rather than pity themselves over the result, he mentioned they gained great confidence from it, knowing that they could match it at this level. 

There are more positives to take from our opening game than negatives. I wouldn't be worried just yet 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Enda said:

Hi terry. The results deriving from yer standard Central Limit Theorem say most distributions can be asymptotically approximated (infinite samples) with the two primary moments of the Normal, so would be interested in your views on the outer limits in finite samples. Also for the n-1 result this almost always comes from the the Chi-squared-distributed variance so would be interested in views on Conor Hourihane.

Are you referring to the Bell ( shaped curve) Ends ? 😏

( note to censors...legitimate, if somewhat hackneyed, statisticians joke)

Reflecting on Dean's starting back 4 I do think he got it right. The chelsea back 4 yesterday had probably never played together and got unpicked for that reason. I dont think I can fault our back 4 for any of the goals.

All that said, I'd like to see targett for the Bournemouth game.

58 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

It's bonkers.

We got a brand new team, just promoted. Met one of the best sides in Europe and the league we are in. Had a lead, but collapsed the last 20 minutes. You would think they would be happy and have realistic expectations, but no. It's literally 4-5 months ago we were playing the likes of Bolton, Blackburn and Bristol City. 

We will need time to develop relations, get some confidence, bed in new players and find our first eleven. 

I was hoping after the poor run last year, where we ended up 10 games unbeaten that people would remember and have some patience. Seems that lasted about one summer and first match. 

Fortunately I don't think the whine on here represents the majority of the fans at Villa Park. 

parks and recreation sigh GIF

Exactly this!! Can't believe that people honestly felt we go to Spurs and dominate like we did to teams at the end if last season but in all honesty, I expected it!

Funny how the same VT'ers came out of the woodwork to have the moan when they had been pretty absent since May Bank Holiday!

• Like 3

We're entitled to be disappointed with the result but lets question the team after 10 games, not after one game against a team that will probably lose a maximum of twice all season at home and most likely only to a top 6 team

Late goals are going to be far more common as well this season, it hurts but that's the quality of the Prem.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, terrytini said:

If anyone wants more info on stats I’m covering the Binomial Theory, Hypergeometric, and Poisson Theory, in a forthcoming essay.

Also Null hypothesis, the true problems with reliance on Standard Deviation, and the use of the outer limits of the Normal Distribution for control purposes.

Sadly won’t have time to cover “n-1” and it’s use in sampling theory and practice, nor the use of Confidence levels in result prediction.

Very very happy for a comprehensive chat about Statistics with anybody that thinks it’s essential before posting things with numbers in.

I don’t go in for any of this fancy analysis stuff. It’s a simple game is statistics but the least I expect from my statisticians to sharpen wor pencils and get the mean, mode and medians right. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I don’t go in for any of this fancy analysis stuff. It’s a simple game is statistics but the least I expect from my statisticians to sharpen wor pencils and get the mean, mode and medians right. 

Spot on, Dave. Stats are for wimps. 

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

And put our bootstraps on...😀 ( another joke for the statisticians amongst us)

( note for the statistically challenged...bootstrapping is a statistical practice whereby the properties of an estimator are themselves estimated )

On 10/08/2019 at 18:24, AshVilla said:

39022_10150240418375153_1206744_n.jpg?_n

9 years ago this was my desk.

Now were back in the prem beating spurs in their own backyard.

UTV.

Have you got carpet on your desk?.....that's Novel.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Really hope there won't be a shit storm on here if we lose to Bournemouth.

Bournemouth is a decent team and will be a better indication to where we stand as a team.

If we do.....then we know we have MORE work to do.

Teddies need to stay in prams, not lie on the pavement.

We have all said that this season was going to be hard and tough......but did we really mean it, deep down.

We have a duty to stand by the team and management, because they seem to have the same resolve and determination to make it work as we want to see.....I would not be surprised to see a few new faces  in the line up at the end of the season.

ps .........One thing I think we need to get right quickly, is to be more robust in our challenges and not get muscled off the ball quite so easily......John McGinn can't do it all on his own....maybe he needs to take that aspect of training and show them how to do it.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

I think Smith got the team selection right on Saturday. Eyebrows were raised when Elmo and Taylor were picked but they both did a good job. I think El Ghazi and Trez struggled to support the full backs at times and they both dealt with the pressure well. 

In terms of the first two subs I understand why he made them but unfortunately they didn’t help. Trez looked shattered but Jota really struggled to get in to the game. Massive step up for him.

Wesley battled with top class defenders all game and I think he was done. Unfortunately Kodjia had zero fight in him when you would expect so much better from an experienced international. Would Davis have done a better job?  Maybe, but it probably wasn’t a game to throw him in to.  We are definitely light up front. 

Luiz looked good. I think he will start when up to speed and be a big player. 

In terms of us parking the bus. It wasn’t a tactic. The team just naturally kept dropping under so much pressure. We need to keep the ball a lot better and hopefully will against teams that are more on our level.

Smith will learn from these games. 

• Like 1

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

In terms of us parking the bus. It wasn’t a tactic. The team just naturally kept dropping under so much pressure. We need to keep the ball a lot better and hopefully will against teams that are more on our level.

Smith will learn from these games. 

Agree except slightly on this bit.

Ive not watched the whole game again yet but live it seemed there WAS a tactic of sitting back, for the first half at least....and it seemed to work very well....we had a line at about 22/24 metres out ( approximately 🙄) with Mings constantly organising it.

I thought they way we did it was very good. And we were always ready to spring from it. It looked to  me like it had been coached and coached and coached.

Second Half, almost immediately, it did indeed become a case of being forced back, very deep, and of being no outlet.

So I think there was a plan, and that Smith will use it Away at probably 6/8 Clubs, and at home against 4 or so.

I am pretty confident it won’t always be tested as it was on Saturday !

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think Smith got the team selection right on Saturday. Eyebrows were raised when Elmo and Taylor were picked but they both did a good job. I think El Ghazi and Trez struggled to support the full backs at times and they both dealt with the pressure well. 

I think that the selection of Elmo and Taylor (and possibly Hourihane) was more to make sure we weren't throwing (practically) a whole team of new players into the mix straight away.

I can't imagine Guilbert and Targett will spend long on the sidelines. I think they'll be eased in to try and make the impact of so many new players be gradual.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Agree except slightly on this bit.

Ive not watched the whole game again yet but live it seemed there WAS a tactic of sitting back, for the first half at least....and it seemed to work very well....we had a line at about 22/24 metres out ( approximately 🙄) with Mings constantly organising it.

I thought they way we did it was very good. And we were always ready to spring from it. It looked to  me like it had been coached and coached and coached.

Second Half, almost immediately, it did indeed become a case of being forced back, very deep, and of being no outlet.

So I think there was a plan, and that Smith will use it Away at probably 6/8 Clubs, and at home against 4 or so.

I am pretty confident it won’t always be tested as it was on Saturday !

You’re probably right to be fair. 

I guess it’s the only real approach against the top teams to avoid a real beating as West Ham found out. 

• Like 1

Just now, Stevo985 said:

I think that the selection of Elmo and Taylor (and possibly Hourihane) was more to make sure we weren't throwing (practically) a whole team of new players into the mix straight away.

I can't imagine Guilbert and Targett will spend long on the sidelines. I think they'll be eased in to try and make the impact of so many new players be gradual.

True but it was reassuring to see both Elmo and Taylor cope well. Especially the latter who was awful in the Championship. 

For all their weaknesses between them they have a lot of experience in this league. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

True but it was reassuring to see both Elmo and Taylor cope well. Especially the latter who was awful in the Championship. 

For all their weaknesses between them they have a lot of experience in this league. 

Yeah I was pleasantly surprised. Especially with Taylor. He did well.

Â