Dean Smith

Demitri_C

9 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Spurs started the game with their record £63m signing, we started with our £22m record signing. They brought on Eriksen rumoured at a value of £70m, we brought on Jota £4m. You can only work with what you’ve got. 

I am not arguing about prices, but I expect the players to know their roles, to be able to control the ball for more than 2 seconds and to fight for the ball. Jota was wasted on the wing yesterday, but Villa still persisted with not moving him centrally. When you are parking the bus, you can't keep a formation that's not working :)

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Think you are in for a surprise there. I just went back one season and from what I can see Cardiff had 10 wins. 

I really should be doing some work on my finances but I just took some time out to look a bit further back. Starting at 1995-6 when the pl was reduced to its present 20 clubs, the list is as follows:

1996-7 Sunderland 10-10-18 (Middlesborough also went down on 10-12-16 but had 3 points deducted for an offence so don't get counted)

1997-8 Barnsley 10-5-23

2002-3 West Ham 10-12-16

2006-7 Sheff U 10-8-20

2007-8 Reading 10-6-22

2010-11 Blackpool 10-9-19

2011-12 Bolton 10-6-22

2018-19 Cardiff 10-4-24

It is true that in recent seasons the premier league has become less competitive, and relegated clubs have tended to get lower points. But last season shows it can still happen

Edited by briny_ear

I hope Dean Smith doesn’t abandon what made him successful like Lambert did when he came here. Both have been successful by having teams play attacking possession based football and in Dean’s case with pressing too. 

As soon as Lambert came here he shrunk and lost confidence in what made him successful. Norwich had good moments against Liverpool because they stuck to what they know. They attacked but got punished because of individual mistakes  however they caused Liverpool enough problems to suggest they will deal with lesser teams. 

If he sticks to what he knows we will stay up. 

5 hours ago, Daweii said:

Play like we did yesterday against Bournemouth and we'll dismantle them. Spurs are just another level entirely, I mean they are challenging for the title this season and might even win it. So for us to go there and compete for 73 minutes before they equalised is nothing to scoff at. Most teams in this league will go to that stadium and lose, we will likely see teams like Liverpool and Man city go to that stadium and lose this season so we did pretty well. This league isn't as hard as Spurs made it out to look, the only thing yesterday told us is that we're not vying for Top 4 this season, but I think we all knew that anyway.

I'm not as convinced as you that we will dismantle Bournemouth or anyone else for that matter - I do however think I saw enough yesterday to believe we can compete in the premier league this season.

I would say this - I do hope you are right and I am totally off base.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Think you are in for a surprise there. I just went back one season and from what I can see Cardiff had 10 wins. 

Yeah fair enough, I'll take that back.

I still don't think it was a hard point to grasp though

1 hour ago, briny_ear said:

It wasn’t at all complicated, just inaccurate. 

Also not really worth spending any more time  on.

There are two types of people in this world:

1. Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, briny_ear said:

I really should be doing some work on my finances but I just took some time out to look a bit further back. Starting at 1995-6 when the pl was reduced to its present 20 clubs, the list is as follows:

1996-7 Sunderland 10-10-18 (Middlesborough also went down on 10-12-16 but had 3 points deducted for an offence so don't get counted)

1997-8 Barnsley 10-5-23

2002-3 West Ham 10-12-16

2006-7 Sheff U 10-8-20

2007-8 Reading 10-6-22

2010-11 Blackpool 10-9-19

2011-12 Bolton 10-6-22

2018-19 Cardiff 10-4-24

It is true that in recent seasons the premier league has become less competitive, and relegated clubs have tended to get lower points. But last season shpws it can still happen

So 8 teams in the history of the premier league. 

Like I said, it's not hard to understand the point. You're being pedantic AF to make an issue out of it.

Probably an obvious thing to say, but looking at the above list, the sheer amount of defeats, or rather the relatively low amount of draws in some of those final tallies is quite startling.

Cardiff winning 10 games last season looks admirable, but only picking up 4 draws seems bizarre.

Last season, Southampton managed 9 wins and 12 draws and finished 5 points clear of Cardiff.

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

It's national "use your common sense" day.

He's saying aim to win 10 games and assuming you pick up draws along the way you'll do enough. I'd be very surprised if you can find many, if any, examples of teams that have won 10 games in the premier league and still gone down.

I didn't really think it was that complicated.

Yep. 

Clearly too difficult to understand for some. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

So 8 teams in the history of the premier league. 

Like I said, it's not hard to understand the point. You're being pedantic AF to make an issue out of it.

To be fair you said 

‘’I'd be very surprised if you can find many, if any, examples of teams that have won 10 games in the premier leagueand still gone down’’

and he gave you 8 examples which is around 30% of teams that went down which is pretty high really.

I agree it’s a being pedantic though. I’d take 10 wins any day.

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

To be fair you said 

‘’I'd be very surprised if you can find many, if any, examples of teams that have won 10 games in the premier leagueand still gone down’’

and he gave you 8 examples which is around 30% of teams that went down which is pretty high really.

I agree it’s a being pedantic though. I’d take 10 wins any day.

Not sure what maths you’re doing. It’s about 10%

but I already said I take it back anyway. The point still wasn’t a hard one to grasp. 

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Not sure what maths you’re doing. It’s about 10%

but I already said I take it back anyway. The point still wasn’t a hard one to grasp. 

My maths has always been poor.  I think I meant in about 30% of Premier League seasons a team with 10 wins went down.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, momo said:

I am not arguing about prices, but I expect the players to know their roles, to be able to control the ball for more than 2 seconds and to fight for the ball. Jota was wasted on the wing yesterday, but Villa still persisted with not moving him centrally. When you are parking the bus, you can't keep a formation that's not working :)

The formation worked for around 70 mins, but then we ran out of steam and lost some shape. My point wasn’t particularly about prices but the quality that those sort of prices bring. Jota was poor but he came on to a bit of a baptism of fire, perhaps you’re right and he should have moved more centrally but I don’t think he was ever going to make a difference defensively in that game. I assume the hope was he’d pick up a pass out wide and we may get something on the break. Essentially though regardless of tactics and formations we lost yesterday to a very good side, packed with quality and who mostly had played together for a few seasons. 

There wont be any easy matches, but there certainly will be easier than yesterday. 

Overall I was impressed with our defensive organisation, something that seems to have been worked on and added to our game this summer.  Perhaps something that being able to get Terry to stay on has helped.  I'd never have expected a Smith team to almost pull off a park-the-bus job at Spurs and is encouraging.  It's all very well doing the nice stuff with pass and move but as Chelsea showed today you can get stuffed if you arent up to scratch at the back.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Overall I was impressed with our defensive organisation, something that seems to have been worked on and added to our game this summer.  Perhaps something that being able to get Terry to stay on has helped.  I'd never have expected a Smith team to almost pull off a park-the-bus job at Spurs and is encouraging.  It's all very well doing the nice stuff with pass and move but as Chelsea showed today you can get stuffed if you arent up to scratch at the back.

From the signings you could tell they had a project with the back 4 and keeper and that the defence had a lot of focus. Have to have a solid base at this level or you'll get found out every single week. 

Smith, O'Kelly and Terry are clearly working well together and you only have to think back a year to see how much better coached the players look. I think we've got enough and we need to have faith in what we are trying to do, we need to win half our home games, pick up a few wins on the road and draw at least half a dozen. People lost faith pretty fast last season when we had the horrible run when Tuanzebe and Jack got injured. We are going to suffer this season, I'd say that's guaranteed, but it would be very sad to think people will lose faith in Smith because of that. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

It certainly would of been a fantastic thing if Smith and CO had pulled of the win.

My Son who isn't a Villa Fan for just over 70 mins was like, Dad, spurs just can't do anything to Villas defence, he was loving everything they were throwing at us and so we're I, it was a sight to see to be honest.

Don't think we deserved the scoreline but credit to spurs at the rate they were on top of us, was only a matter of time before they scored and once they did I knew more were coming.

We should of just gone full out Defensive when second half was clear we were playing block the ball.

14 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

We should of just gone full out Defensive when second half was clear we were playing block the ball.

I don't think we could have gone much more defensive without putting another goalkeeper on, could we? That's not a criticism, it almost worked, but I'm not sure I saw any evidence that Lloris even came out of the tunnel in the second half.

• Like 1

Â