Dean Smith

Demitri_C

7 hours ago, 7392craig said:

Got it wrong yesterday . Hourihane is dreadful as a DM. Guilbert and Targett should have started, God knows why we’d spend all that money on two new full backs just to play the old ones. Elmo wasn’t too bad, but Taylor embarrassed himself imo, his positioning is comical at best. Need better going forward.

I thought the full-back decision was strange before the game but having watched it I felt it was an understandable decision. Clearly, Deano felt that we couldn't go too gung-ho in our first game and may have got the jitters having watched Norwich get a spanking on the previous night with their full-backs constantly being caught out of position. Playing Targett and Guilbert would have also meant four new starters in a back five. 

In hindsight, with how Spurs defended, maybe Deano regrets not having a bit more of a go at them down the flanks. Who knows? 

I bet both Targett and Guilbert play against Bournemouth. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

I am 100% sure if we had started with Guilbert, Targett, Luiz and Jota we would have lost my a much bigger scoreline yesterday.

There are games to throw a load of new players into and yesterday was not one of them.

I was just writing the same thing...thanks, saves me finishing my typing. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, VillaChris said:

With 7 subs many teams go with three strikers on the bench. Certainly should have more than one out and out frontman so don't get the Davis exclusion at all particularly with Lansbury on there.

If he really wanted that the it's Deano's fault for picking Kodjia and not Davis. It was a very weird call. I just don't get why anyone think you'd have the ball enough and be under so little pressure at Spurs away so Kodjia could pay off. Weird Dean. Weird. 

9 hours ago, LondonLax said:

Our fullbacks did well. As you say, it’s their place to lose rather than just automatically starting the fancy new names. 

One of mistakes Fulham made was destroying the team spirit of the dressing room by dumping the players who earned them promotion and throwing together a bunch of new faces. 

If Guilbert and Targett are good enough (which I think they are) then they will earn their place in the side and go on to make it theirs (the same goes for the likes of Luiz over Hourihane or Jota over El Ghazi etc). 

Agree regarding Fulham. But their biggest mistake was not to get themeself high class goalkeeper. Their defence was terrible because they didnt trust the keeper. Villa did their by far best signing in that position which was very very clever.

2 minutes ago, supermon said:

I don't think anyone can question the fullback decision cos Elmo and Taylor didn't really do much wrong 

I think the issue with this for me isn't that they did or didn't do ok.

Its that we spent 20m ish on new fullbacks and the original ones played?

For DM we have spent 26m on 2 x new DMs and the original one played.

Noow it's fine if the original ones played if they are good enough, but if we have spent nearly 50m on new players for those positions and they don't play, what is the recruitment team up to???

I can kinda understand the DM as the new players there are fairly new and possibly not up to fitness yet.

I don't get the fullbacks as both the new ones were fit and have been with us since either the immediate start of pre season, or very early in pre season, so no excuse as to why they didn't play other than DS preferred the ones that did play, which is very strange considering the money spent on the new ones.....

13 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

If he really wanted that the it's Deano's fault for picking Kodjia and not Davis. It was a very weird call. I just don't get why anyone think you'd have the ball enough and be under so little pressure at Spurs away so Kodjia could pay off. Weird Dean. Weird. 

I think Kodja was more likely to do something different and get you a goal out of nowhere. Ok he was poor, but nobody is picked to be poor. Davis is similar to Wesley and since it was one way traffic there wasn’t much ball for him to hold up, or midfielders going forward to feed. As that was the scenario a centre forward coming on late was likely to face, Davis would have been a wasted place on the bench. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, LondonLax said:

Our fullbacks did well. As you say, it’s their place to lose rather than just automatically starting the fancy new names. 

One of mistakes Fulham made was destroying the team spirit of the dressing room by dumping the players who earned them promotion and throwing together a bunch of new faces. 

If Guilbert and Targett are good enough (which I think they are) then they will earn their place in the side and go on to make it theirs (the same goes for the likes of Luiz over Hourihane or Jota over El Ghazi etc). 

Agree regarding Fulham. But their biggest mistake was not to get themeself high class goalkeeper. Their defence was terrible because they didnt trust the keeper. Villa did their by far best signing in that position which was very very clever.

10 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Oh no, I thought you'd gone away.

Gone! Villa supporter never leave

• Like 3

So, judging from the comments

Wesley is a waste of money and will never be any good

Hourihane is the worst dm in the world

Douglas Luiz looked poor when he came on

Jota was terrible

El Ghazi was terrible

Taylor and Elmo are at best average championship players

Grealish will never succed in the prem

And Dean Smith is an idiot for using the players he preferred for the match and should have started all the new players and is therefor a terrible manager

Feel like we might as well just give up. Especially considering how embarrasing it is to get dominated away by the champions league finalist when you are a newly promoted side, disgrace.

• Like 2

The biggest positivity after yesterday is deano is bang on in his post match interview

gave them a scare, trez could have made it 2-0, tired, poor ball retention, ultimately lost to a better team 

Him and his team will obviously give the lads a deeper analysis than that but it's on the money 

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 2

Alot of talk about Spurs being  a quality side. And they are. However, this was Spurs without Alli, Eriksen, Son, and with a new young right back KWP.

This, imo, was the weakest Spurs team Pochetino has put out for a long time. And still the gulf in class was enormous. 

I really dont understand why we haven’t improved on Taylor, Elmo and CH. All they did all game was try to stand in the way and block shots or crosses. After this performance , i hope we finish 17 and escape relegation. We wont be finishing higher. 

Two new full backs and a quality def mid in January please. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, wilko154 said:

I am 100% sure if we had started with Guilbert, Targett, Luiz and Jota we would have lost my a much bigger scoreline yesterday.

There are games to throw a load of new players into and yesterday was not one of them.

My thoughts as well, pre season can cloud a view, you play poor opposition at half pace. Throwing all of those players into a game where you need to be organised and know your team mate well was not the answer. We also dont know how many of these guys are ready for the prem yet, look at trezeguet and wesley, look to be promising but very raw. I'm not sure the champions league finalists was the right time to find more of that out.

5 minutes ago, Danishlad said:

Alot of talk about Spurs being  a quality side. And they are. However, this was Spurs without Alli, Eriksen, Son, and with a new young right back KWP.

This, imo, was the weakest Spurs team Pochetino has put out for a long time. And still the gulf in class was enormous. 

I really dont understand why we haven’t improved on Taylor, Elmo and CH. All they did all game was try to stand in the way and block shots or crosses. After this performance , i hope we finish 17 and escape relegation. We wont be finishing higher. 

They sold Trippier as they trust KWP more, may be the weak'ish team, but they still had one of the worlds best strikers in Kane, Brazilian international Lucas, £75m new signing Ndombele, World cup winner Loris, world class defenders in alderweirald and Sanchez. 6 of the starters started last seasons champions league final

And we were actually leading until eriksen came on! 

Though I'm happy to see that your expectations have become more realistic

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Danishlad said:

We don't need.

Fans need to get these stupid ideas of us finishing higher out of their heads.

If we finish higher then great. But there is one goal this year and that is to finish 17th. 

As a club we need to change our mindset for 12 months. Never before has 17th been an achievement, so i get why people will struggle to change but we really need to. 

Â